Sponsored

Automated Suction cup marks left on front windshield...removal?

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I was just reading to try cerium oxide? It's a glass polisher. I'm going to try magic erasor first, then if that doesn't work I'm going to buy some cerium oxide.
Sponsored

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
I had these and they wiped off very easily with Invisible Glass window cleaner.
Mind you the 6 circles where on the outside of the windshield not the inside. Put there by the suction cups during installation/assembly
Not sure why some would have the residue on the inside. Seems strange.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Fingernail polish remover is just acetone plus some fragrance oils and a higher price tag. Buy a gallon of it and use it to refill your wife's fingernail polish remover bottle periodically.
In that case, any reason not to use fingernail polish remover to get rid of the suction cups marks? The mrs. has that at home, but I don't have any straight acetone on hand.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
In that case, any reason not to use fingernail polish remover to get rid of the suction cups marks? The mrs. has that at home, but I don't have any straight acetone on hand.
You might need to use some alcohol or a window cleaner to get rid of the residue from the other things that are in the fingernail polish remover.

Think of it like when you use mineral spirits / paint thinner to remove grease from your hands after working on a vehicle. It removes most of it, but you still have a bit of residue leftover that you can smell or see, so you wash your hands with Lava soap or one of the orange pumice cleaners to remove the remaining residue. Of course, you don't want to use either of those on your glass since it will scratch it. Use the fingernail polish remover on a paper towel to start with and then Windex or alcohol to remove whatever oils that the fingernail polish remover had in it. I'm talking about the acetone based fingernail polish removers, not any of the eco-green crap. I have no idea what they put in that stuff, but if it probably doesn't work as well.

If you are not sure how your plastics will react with the chemical you are using, put the chemical on a paper towel while the paper towel is outside of the vehicle (but not so much that it is dripping) and then bring it inside the vehicle to clean the marks off the glass. Some solvents will discolor or otherwise make a mess of certain plastics.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the help, even though I find it hard to trust you Navy types. ;)
Well, you could probably use some Navy coffee to remove those marks, but it'll probably etch the windows also...

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Just to give this a bump, mine weren't disappearing, tried the alcohol, magic eraser, and acetone on the outside, no luck... sure enough the marks on mine were 100% on the INSIDE :facepalm: ...

EDIT: thought they were gone and they're not... I've tried alcohol, magic eraser, and acetone and they won't go away, when the window fogs up they appear, any one else have any ideas?

UPDATE 2: 0000 grade steel wool used DRY with the exception of breathing out on the windshield to fog it up to see the marks worked perfectly, it would take a couple attempts at breathing on the windshield and you could almost feel what felt like adhesive finally release and smear around, it might have been the slight heat from breathing on it that helped

followed this up with a quick wipe with acetone and then glass cleaner and they do now finally appear to be 100% gone

Last edited:

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
There is a production line video that shows those sucion cups on a robot installing the windshield from the outside. I find my marks to be on the inside as well. I bought a Model 3 Tesla that has marks on the inside as well, though not nearly as many as the Jeep.

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Straight razor? It won't scratch the glass and should remove any substance from it :)

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My luck, I will spend the time and effort to get these cleaned up and then get a sweet crack in the windshield and have to replace!

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Apply a small amount of acetone on a soft cotton rag. Gently wipe the circles. Use another soft rag and then clean the windshield with glass cleaner. Acetone can bought at most auto parts dealers, etc. Don't let the acetone drip on the Jeep, except for the glass.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Does anyone who has had these circles on the original windshield have them on the replacement one as well?

Chuckandjennr

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone who has had these circles on the original windshield have them on the replacement one as well?
I had them on my original (1300 miles and bought a new one thanks to a rock) the new windshield doesn't have them and its a MOPAR windshield. I imagine they are from the suction cups on the robot at the factory.
Take it to the dealer and make them get them off - then if they screw it up with some sort of solvent, the replacement is on them.
Sponsored