Sponsored

Second guessing not choosing the 8.4" screen. Differences?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Ah ha. Didn’t realize you already got alpine upgrade. So, yeah, not better speakers than what you’ve already spec’d. I’d still get the 8.4”, though. If you’re shelling out the extra beans for Alpine, already, you might as well go with the better screen, too. It’s really very nice. Not sure if it has the same version of Uconnect as the 7”, but it’s great. Way better than my GMC.
I would have ordered the 8.4”. I bought mine out of the lot and that was one of the few extras it didn’t have. I have no patience for ordering a car. So I got what was there and I am very happy with the 7” but I don’t know what I am missing. Therefore I am not advising the OP one way or another.
Sponsored

MAPC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly JK-U, JL-U awaiting production
I can see sticking with the 7” if you are NOT getting the Alpine upgrade, but if you are already in for the $1300 or so for the Alpine, the difference for the better screen is relatively minor.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I can see sticking with the 7” if you are NOT getting the Alpine upgrade, but if you are already in for the $1300 or so for the Alpine, the difference for the better screen is relatively minor.
This. I would have gotten the 8.4 separately but don’t want the alpine and don’t want to give up the storage space for the sub.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Really? I didn’t know that. I got the 7” with the premium Alpine and I thought those were the same speakers you get with the 8.4”
From the list published above the main difference is Navigation and The “extra” Sirius options. I don’t see anything else on the list that I don’t have.
I thought you only get Off-Road Pages with 8.4" also? Do you get all the Uconnect stuff like the app to remote start and unlock doors with the 7"? Also can you program door locks , lights and other settings through the 7" screen?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I thought you only get Off-Road Pages with 8.4" also? Do you get all the Uconnect stuff like the app to remote start and unlock doors with the 7"? Also can you program door locks , lights and other settings through the 7" screen?
Door locks and lights yes, the off road pages no, at least I don’t have them.

Sponsored

wsibra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU MOAB
I've ordered a JLUR (currently in D status with no estimated shipping date). I left the Rubicon with the standard 7" screen, thinking that it was basically navigation, which I do on my phone, and screen size, which I don't see as a big difference.

Is there anything else I am missing in the differences between the 7" and the 8.4" infotainment system?

Looks like offroad pages won't be showing up on the 7". Those look cool but wouldn't justify the extra $1500. Any other differences that would make it worth redoing my order?
Alpine & auto dimming mirror.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Revival of a thread to answer a question which was answered in the first reply.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Is there an option to get the 8.4 without Sirius, NAV, etc. I listen to online or iPod and am not an audiophile or even a loud radio person. I would like the 8.4 since it is bigger but not for thousands of dollars

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Is there an option to get the 8.4 without Sirius, NAV, etc. I listen to online or iPod and am not an audiophile or even a loud radio person. I would like the 8.4 since it is bigger but not for thousands of dollars
Nope.
I didn't really want to pay for any part of it, but you currently need to purchase it to get the Advanced Safety Group.

Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
I have the safety group in my work vehicle and I love it - but does it make you lazy - I find I look less now and rely on my blind spot mirrors and sensors and camera. Self driving cars are coming but what about a self driving jeep - what fun is that going to be

Kangarhew

First Name
Rhew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Is there a way to get the upgrade without the auto dimming rear view mirror. I hate them, they never work properly and that keeps me from doing this upgrade. I work third shift so all of my driving is primarily at night time. Currently driving a Cherokee with the auto dim mirror and I’m tired of constantly being blinded.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I would guess that you would be able to replace the auto dimming mirror with a standard mirror if you wanted, aftermarket.

As for the 7" vs 8.4", I'm pretty sure only the 8.4" has the cellular connection, so if you get the 7", FCA can't just down;pad new software to your jeep whenever they want. Its for that reason that I'm planning on the 7" with the Alpine and not getting the 8.4" ;)

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Alpine & auto dimming mirror.
I ordered my Sahara with the 8 inch screen. Not crazy about the " PREMIUM " sound system. I did find that when I cast waze to the screen i like the larger view. Over all I like the larger view. The big problem is driving and not playing around with the screen.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Is there a way to get the upgrade without the auto dimming rear view mirror. I hate them, they never work properly and that keeps me from doing this upgrade. I work third shift so all of my driving is primarily at night time. Currently driving a Cherokee with the auto dim mirror and I’m tired of constantly being blinded.
I think you can disable this functionality.
Sponsored