Sponsored

Borla Exhaust for the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL!

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
Just a follow up to my situation. Communicated with both Ian and Chris. Rec'd email from Chris that they will be sending me out a new exhaust. Great customer service.....refreshing to see companies that will stand behind their product. Will update when the new one is rec'd on install and paint quality.
Sponsored

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I got S-type axel back dual. Very happy with it. It’s not loud. I would still like it if it were a bit louder.
Cool. If I get a Borla over an AFE I would get the catback climber model. We have a few forum members using it (Borla) and they like it. Some (including me) were hoping Borla would offer that system with their touring muffler but they are not planning on it.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I ordered the Atak and at the last minute had them change it to the SType. I installed it today and couldn't be happier, I wanted deep but not super loud. My teenage years are far behind me so this was a great fit. The best part is getting rid of the tin can which for me was an eye sore.
Just checking in on how you are liking the Borlas S-Type Catback exhaust. Is it still fine for a daily driver?

Thx

Sponsored

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Just installed the s-type climber setup yesterday. It’s not bad at all. Not sure I’m thrilled with it though. It’s not that it’s bad, I’m just not sure it’s what I had in my head when I thought about an exhaust on the Jeep. Will leave it on for a few weeks and decide later.

Overall quality was very high, though. Doesn’t drone at all and isn’t too loud overall

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Cool. If I get a Borla over an AFE I would get the catback climber model. We have a few forum members using it (Borla) and they like it. Some (including me) were hoping Borla would offer that system with their touring muffler but they are not planning on it.
That is really too bad, because i’d give them my money for it immediately. I want the better exhaust, better sound, but minimal increase in db.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just installed the s-type climber setup yesterday. It’s not bad at all. Not sure I’m thrilled with it though. It’s not that it’s bad, I’m just not sure it’s what I had in my head when I thought about an exhaust on the Jeep. Will leave it on for a few weeks and decide later.

Overall quality was very high, though. Doesn’t drone at all and isn’t too loud overall
When you say its not too loud "overall" can you get into more detail when you get a chance? Interior/exterior volume impressions for example.

I have a Magnaflow rock climber also high quality/throaty but it drones (way too much) and can be too loud under acceleration. It is not what I would call neighborhood friendly. Not obnoxious but people hear you coming from a block away.

My concern with most of the cat back rock climbers is they either drone in certain RPM ranges or they regularly live in the 88-91 dB range which is too loud. The latter is usually an issue with rapid acceleration or going up/down a hill when you sit at a particular RPM.

From what I have read many people dislike them & switch back in days or a week, like them part of the time but are always looking for a quieter option or downshift to low profile axle back.

The dream system is tucked up with a quiet muffler/no drone with decent clearance. I believe vendors can engineer this but they are either loathe to loose the clearance or feel people want aggressive sounds from a rock crawler.

I have chatted with MBRP, Dynomax, Magnaflow, Pypes, Borla, Flowmaster reps over the past month letting them know (based on informal surveying) if they were to build a quieter rock crawler with no drone it would likely sell like hotcakes.

One firm, Dynomax, does make quieter systems but their JL catback rock crawler model is months away. Their axle back is pretty quiet but a bit flashy.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
That is really too bad, because i’d give them my money for it immediately. I want the better exhaust, better sound, but minimal increase in db.
I know. But if buyers keep bugging them perhaps they will change their minds. Yes you will give up a bit of clearance with a larger rock crawling muffler but not enough to matter or most.

Sponsored

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I took the exhaust off already. After riding with my wife, I found the sound to be less than ideal (likely a combination of my age and willingness to put up with even extremely minor levels of discomfort).

Regarding sound level, it wasn't much louder than the wind noise generated by the soft top. It's also quiet when cruising down the freeway.

I just didn't care for the tone. I have several other sports cars, and this just made the Jeep sound like it was trying too hard.

As you said, I'd *really* prefer a climber exhaust with a very muted tone, almost near stock.

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
I took the exhaust off already. After riding with my wife, I found the sound to be less than ideal (likely a combination of my age and willingness to put up with even extremely minor levels of discomfort).

Regarding sound level, it wasn't much louder than the wind noise generated by the soft top. It's also quiet when cruising down the freeway.

I just didn't care for the tone. I have several other sports cars, and this just made the Jeep sound like it was trying too hard.

As you said, I'd *really* prefer a climber exhaust with a very muted tone, almost near stock.
I installed my Borla S-Type Black coated axle back last week. The look is great. The sound is definitely louder then I expected, I mean a Jeep is a loud car to begin with. I'm gonna drive it around for a few weeks and see how I feel about it. The only issue I'm having now is that the paint on the inside is peeling. Started after the first day of driving it. I'm wondering if the outside will start peeling too....
IMG_1698.png

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

Sorry to hear that but it's quite common from what I have read here. Some folks love it but

@Lisa@Borla Borla has a touring muffler but they don't see it making its way to the JL/JLU rock climber model. I know many of us would want it and be fine with a little loss of clearance for a more daily driver tone/volume.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I installed my Borla S-Type Black coated axle back last week. The look is great. The sound is definitely louder then I expected, I mean a Jeep is a loud car to begin with. I'm gonna drive it around for a few weeks and see how I feel about it. The only issue I'm having now is that the paint on the inside is peeling. Started after the first day of driving it. I'm wondering if the outside will start peeling too....
IMG_1698.png

I believe this is a paint defect that Borla is aware of and they may replace the muffler. Copying @Lisa@Borla who sometimes monitors this forum for client issues and feedback. You can also message her.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

Are you going to sell the Borla? If so you can do it on here. They usually good for $375-400 depending in usage.
Sponsored