K&N Air Intake Kit - Thoughts

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited MOAB - 2019 RAM Limited
Purchased one of these and I hated it. It's very loud and deep, like an exhaust, but not in a good way since it's in front of you. Every other noise from startup going forward is amplified. I think it's too over the top. I removed it and went back to the factory intake today. I thought I'd share my thoughts and see how everyone else likes or dislikes it. I'm not putting on an exhaust and I've had numerous K&N air filters and intakes over the years. The V6 just doesn't cut it sound-wise, IMHO.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Purchased one of these and I hated it. It's very loud and deep, like an exhaust, but not in a good way since it's in front of you. Every other noise from startup going forward is amplified. I think it's too over the top. I removed it and went back to the factory intake today. I thought I'd share my thoughts and see how everyone else likes or dislikes it. I'm not putting on an exhaust and I've had numerous K&N air filters and intakes over the years. The V6 just doesn't cut it sound-wise, IMHO.
I have not run this on my Jeep, but I can say that many CAI are just a gimmick, especially with vehicles currently manufactured. 15-20 years ago, sure, it may have made a difference in power, but today it is mostly under the hood “bling.”

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
I've had great luck with them in my TJ. In my challenger I used a Legmaker Frankentake IV with even better results. Oddly I used to get compliments on my stock exhaust sound because of it. Most of the aftermarket exhausts for the challenger are too loud. Adding the legmaker increased the flow enough to make the stock exhaust sound perfect. I did have a custom tune as well.

With the jl I am not sure the intake is worth the money unless you are getting a custom tune.

OP
OP
Timmay

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited MOAB - 2019 RAM Limited
Yeah, I thought I would start there and see. Since it's a loaded Sahara, I don't plan to off-road much (yeah, I'm THAT guy) so since I don't need tires or a lift, the list is small. So far 50 cal antenna, fuel door, WeatherTech mats, and Rugged Ridge door sill protectors. And I'm running out of ideas, which isn't a bad thing. Like to tweak the sound system. Too many highs from the centers and dash for me. I was considering AMP steps. Had them on numerous vehicles, just not sure I need them. My mom and mother-in-law, however :)

mandrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
For sound system upgrades, I recommend Crutchfield.
Sponsored