Stock exhaust resonator question.

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I got a question for the people who have done the cat back exhausts. What is inside the stock resonator? Is there anything in it that would restrict exhaust flow?
Sponsored

Hau82

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon unlimited
I replaced the stock resonator with a magnaflow 10416 and replaced the stock muffler with a magnaflow 12256 kept the stock tubing. Sounds great!!

OP
OP

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I replaced the stock resonator with a magnaflow 10416 and replaced the stock muffler with a magnaflow 12256 kept the stock tubing. Sounds great!!
Did you see what is inside the stock resonator. I was curious if it's the same as a straight thru muffler.

Hau82

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon unlimited
No, i didn’t see inside the resonator but I’m sure that the stock resonator and muffler will have some restriction vs a straight thru system

PhoenixJLUR

First Name
Keifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I removed the stocker resonator and did a bit of a custom exhaust build from that point all the way back on my Rubi.

To answer your question, the stock resonator is essentially a “straight through” type with a perforated pipe passing through (same size as exhaust piping) with likely a fiberglass insulator wrapped around between that perforated core and the outer shell/casing.

I tried many variations with the exhaust as I cut, hacked, welded, deleted, replaced, etc.

This 3.6 actually sounds great with nothing but the stock resonator. With no muffler it’s a bit raspy for my taste. And I had some awful drone at 2400-2600rpm until I finished my build (see below). I tried a 2’ long cherry bomb glass pack in its place and it cleaned up the rasp a TINY bit. Ultimately what I have now is a “Magnaflow” Rumble 2-chamber (flowmaster clone) where the stock resonator was, the cherry bomb right behind it, and a bit of work in the rear over the axle to shorten the drop and keep a 3” tailpipe tucked high for good clearance, to a turn-down right at the bumper. I really love the sound of it all. I have no interior drone, it’s nice and quiet cruising but you can hear it when you really get on it. And outside of the vehicle it’s definitely a slightly louder, very mean, but clean sound.

06CA3934-4A5E-4C63-9BB7-CC41DE240D28.jpeg

7B60CA0F-05DB-4992-A48A-1441AADFC59E.jpeg

457BD5F7-A670-4267-A60D-3160576EB3EF.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I removed the stocker resonator and did a bit of a custom exhaust build from that point all the way back on my Rubi.

To answer your question, the stock resonator is essentially a “straight through” type with a perforated pipe passing through (same size as exhaust piping) with likely a fiberglass insulator wrapped around between that perforated core and the outer shell/casing.

I tried many variations with the exhaust as I cut, hacked, welded, deleted, replaced, etc.

This 3.6 actually sounds great with nothing but the stock resonator. With no muffler it’s a bit raspy for my taste. And I had some awful drone at 2400-2600rpm until I finished my build (see below). I tried a 2’ long cherry bomb glass pack in its place and it cleaned up the rasp a TINY bit. Ultimately what I have now is a “Magnaflow” Rumble 2-chamber (flowmaster clone) where the stock resonator was, the cherry bomb right behind it, and a bit of work in the rear over the axle to shorten the drop and keep a 3” tailpipe tucked high for good clearance, to a turn-down right at the bumper. I really love the sound of it all. I have no interior drone, it’s nice and quiet cruising but you can hear it when you really get on it. And outside of the vehicle it’s definitely a slightly louder, very mean, but clean sound.

06CA3934-4A5E-4C63-9BB7-CC41DE240D28.jpeg

7B60CA0F-05DB-4992-A48A-1441AADFC59E.jpeg

457BD5F7-A670-4267-A60D-3160576EB3EF.jpeg
That's what I wanted to know. I don't see any reason for at cat back over axle back from a performance stand point then.

bamchenry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '18 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Piggybacking on this thread. A bit humid and cold out this morning and noticed exhaust coming from below my JLUR this morning. Got closer, and noticed a pinhole in the resonator with exhaust coming out. Is this normal? Sorry, first time Jeep owner, and this isn't something I've seen on any of my previous cars (Civic Si's and VW R32), possibly because I can't see the exhaust that easily.

Edit/update:
Found some photos elsewhere online, and the pinhole seems normal (see attached photo of mine).

IMG_0415.jpeg

Last edited:

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am building something similar to the Magnaflow system above.

Borla ProXS muffler where the resonator was and then one of a Dynomax race bullet (16" long) or a 12" long resonator by Vibrant.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BOR-40364

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-24246 or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My exhaust guy is going to put the muffler in first and then see what he as room for out the back. I am trying to keep most of the downstream piping from my current Magnaflow rock crawler system to avoid expensive pipework. I think I can fit either resonator but we will see.

The install should be done later this week. I will post pics & a video wit is its done.

Magnaflow

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Magnaflow
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.magnaflow.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Piggybacking on this thread. A bit humid and cold out this morning and noticed exhaust coming from below my JLUR this morning. Got closer, and noticed a pinhole in the resonator with exhaust coming out. Is this normal? Sorry, first time Jeep owner, and this isn't something I've seen on any of my previous cars (Civic Si's and VW R32), possibly because I can't see the exhaust that easily.

Edit/update:
Found some photos elsewhere online, and the pinhole seems normal (see attached photo of mine).

IMG_0415.jpeg
Some manufacturers will include weep holes to drain condensation that collects at a low point in the exhaust system.

bamchenry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '18 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @Magnaflow. Very weird to see exhaust spewing from it one morning.

Sponsored

Sdhsg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Thanks @Magnaflow. Very weird to see exhaust spewing from it one morning.
Most stock mufflers and resonator’s have tubing and other devices to direct the flow or create turbulence in the flow of exhaust gas to create sound canceling and restriction. Your resonator rids the drone tones that an aftermarket system may not do. So yes the stock exhaust system is restrictive. Aftermarket systems are less restrictive and usually have fiberglass or some other non-combustible material packed in them to help with sound and drone but in time blow out making the exhaust a little louder.

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
Did the resonator delete alongside my Borla S-type axleback installation

Re-installed the resonator literally after 15 minutes of driving

Drone was insane and yes it is straight through

Gurulee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Cybersecurity

Jeep Wrangler JL Stock exhaust resonator question. IMG_0415

How do you think the stock resonator would sound placed in front of a Flowmaster Outlaw Extreme?

Currently it's too loud and has drone without it.
Sponsored