plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Got my damper in the mail today (shoutout to @River City Offroad) , it looks awesome and really heavy.

The installation takes about 45 minutes, really it is just six bolts and nuts. I spent most of the time try to access their location.

I do not want to disconnect track bar, since 110 lb-ft torque is no joking, and also some JLWF members reported their track bar was off center after the installation. I end up jacking the frame from right behind lower control arm on the driver side. This will allow the frame being lifted up, while axle stayed and the track bar will naturally be moved to the side, and I can have easy access to the two 13-mm bracket bolts.

On the tie-rod side, you need to turn the wheel to the right to free the bolts from binding, this will also move drag link out of the way so you can pop out the bolts from above. The damper itself is very stiff to pull or push by hand, so to match the eye bolt hole to the tie-rod bracket took some efforts. I end up just moving steering wheel in a small step to match it.

The results are satisfying. I do not have death wobble or shimmy, but can tell on the "medium" setting I get less bump steer from the crappy road and gain more confidence. The steering is tight, but we will see after Falcon breaks in.

20190111_201212.jpg

20190111_214627.jpg

20190112_171731.jpg

20190112_172244.jpg

20190112_173621.jpg

20190112_173654.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BTW if you want to install it on jack stands, you need to jack up the frame (one sweet spot is behind LCA mount on the driver side frame).

The purpose of jack up is to move track bar (which connects the axle and frame) away from axle. If you jack up the axle or pumpkin, the track bar will move up parallelly, so it is pretty much no use..

Last edited:

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
I just ordered this and canceled my fox shock steering stabilizer 2.0 wating for over 3 months....still not out...along with yeti track bar i need to install. I just need to fix steering issue. How is firm setting? Did you have steering issue before? Driving highway is horrible for me, so bad that im looking at 4runner trd...smh.

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered this and canceled my fox shock steering stabilizer 2.0 wating for over 3 months....still not out...along with yeti track bar i need to install. I just need to fix steering issue. How is firm setting? Did you have steering issue before? Driving highway is horrible for me, so bad that im looking at 4runner trd...smh.
Firm setting is very firm, and steering will not rerun to center. I was running mine on medium for a while and decided to try soft and actually prefer it. Handles great, firmer than stock and feels way more solid over bumps or uneven surface. I had wandering and looseness in steering but NO death wobble and have noticed a significant improvement all around!

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
Firm setting is very firm, and steering will not rerun to center. I was running mine on medium for a while and decided to try soft and actually prefer it. Handles great, firmer than stock and feels way more solid over bumps or uneven surface. I had wandering and looseness in steering but NO death wobble and have noticed a significant improvement all around!
Thanks. Sounds good to me. All I want is to fix wandering...after that 4" lift...

Sponsored

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
Getting this installed friday so hope it fixes wandering feeling.

20190123_123440.jpg

20181204_152905.jpg

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Getting this installed friday so hope it fixes wandering feeling.

20190123_123440.jpg

20181204_152905.jpg
how is the track bar supposed to fix wandering? I am so pissed, after I put 35's on the wandering almost disappeared, and it drove almost normal. I put the Mopar lift on and now it's wandering again. My axle only shifted a 1/4" over, so I thought that's no biggie but I am all ears.

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
how is the track bar supposed to fix wandering? I am so pissed, after I put 35's on the wandering almost disappeared, and it drove almost normal. I put the Mopar lift on and now it's wandering again. My axle only shifted a 1/4" over, so I thought that's no biggie but I am all ears.
Track bar...not going to fix wandering I just wanted it. But I'm for steering stabilizer. I had wandering from start before and after lift. Next is full set of control arm from metalcloak.

Dusty Camaro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen2Raptor
I believe it is the steering box which causes the wandering. Had mine replaced, the wandering has gone away. Hopefully it's the permanent fix.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Agree. Bought mine for Xmas and it’s been an awesome present.

Have used firm for freeway driving on windy days. Keeps it straight.

Sponsored

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
Didnt drive enough yet. This weekend I'll set it to firm and drive it on highway.

20190125_124703.jpg

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This combines with longer LCA totally fix my slightest steering problem, no more jerking, no more bump steer, no more wandering. It is very much comparable to my wife's Subaru. BTW: I can sleep behind Subaru's steering wheel and wake up that thing is still tracking straight.

Mkz567

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 wrangler jl rubicon
Occupation
Business owner
This combines with longer LCA totally fix my slightest steering problem, no more jerking, no more bump steer, no more wandering. It is very much comparable to my wife's Subaru. BTW: I can sleep behind Subaru's steering wheel and wake up that thing is still tracking straight.
Which longer LCA you use?