MOLLE bag tailgate setup

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
It is possible to get them through without cutting. The snaps are tough to get through though. The main issue is you cannot weave because the straps get to short from going around the vent. End result is with out the weaves the bags sag. Just pop off the panel and check it out. It is simple. Good luck.
So you're saying without cutting that plastic the straps are not long and they need that extra room to snap ?
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I originally had mine zip tied but we took them off last night. Me and a friend of mine and put the snaps through and did not really have to cut anything with a razor blade. We took a big screwdriver and pushed the snaps through and it came out a lot better .It's not as loose and they don't sang. Anyone that doesn't want to spend $250 for the Mopar table I would recommend doing this if you want Molle bags..My custom patches like the other guy had will be here tomorrow he said we could use his idea and photos and we did. Thank you again for that

20190121_114051.jpg

Last edited:

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I forgot to watch this thread. I did pry the vents open a bit to get the straps through... in particular the snap portion.

Cutting a portion of the vents from the back may actually work better and not be visible from the front. But my way did work out for my purposes. Prying does run the risk of breaking a vent completely.

Also, in my earlier post, I tried to show how I weaved the straps through the bag and vents. The way I have it, the molle pouches are very secure even when weighted down.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Sorry, I forgot to watch this thread. I did pry the vents open a bit to get the straps through... in particular the snap portion.

Cutting a portion of the vents from the back may actually work better and not be visible from the front. But my way did work out for my purposes. Prying does run the risk of breaking a vent completely.

Also, in my earlier post, I tried to show how I weaved the straps through the bag and vents. The way I have it, the molle pouches are very secure even when weighted down.
we did not have to cut any of the plastic or trim it we just took a big screwdriver and pushed it through and it went right through. I would have never thought about doing this with the molle bags I'm glad I saw someone else that did this I should have my patches tomorrow the tracking number says they will be here tomorrow I'll post a picture when I get the patches on

Last edited:

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Got my patches today in the mail I'm so glad they finally came they come from Canada but they are very well-made. thank you for letting me copy your patches the guy that originally made them. I'm on my phone so I can't really tell who it was that let me copy them that resume posted this but they look nice thank you

20190125_140841.jpg

Sponsored

tjaeks

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
yeah, you have to pop off that panel to thread them through.
How did you pop it off, I’ve been looking at it for a few minutes not really willing to risk snapping something on my 2 week old vehicle

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
How did you pop it off, I’ve been looking at it for a few minutes not really willing to risk snapping something on my 2 week old vehicle
Go to the auto parts store and get a trim tool kit AutoZone or O'Reillys sells them for about $12 or less and they're just tools but they're plastic and they're made for popping trim off. start on the bottom corner toward the hinges and pull a little bit and it's like those plastic tool that you'll get you'll see which one works the best and just start going one by one popping with that piece and it will pop them off. No you can't just pop the whole thing off by hand use a little tool kit that you'll buy and it's plastic like I said and move along popping it off. It Will come off nothing to it. Just go real slow. I really like having them on the back it's great place to put stuff

jl_misfit

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
This is my first post on this forum. Thank you everyone for the inspiration! I ended up doing this to my 2019 Sport without cutting or modifying the tailgate in any way.

It just took a screwdriver, needle nose pliers, and some patience. All the pouches are extremely secure and can hold weight without issue or sagging. I’m super happy with the way this turned out!

The left pouch is a rip-away first aid kit, the middle holds stuff for my dog (leash, balls, a towel), and the right pouch holds tools, rags, and whatnot.

Let me know what you think!

BC1150FB-969F-41A1-BB54-7CB10EA82462.jpeg

0C9F7A50-11E4-4B04-9F5A-F2307DB73727.jpeg

A3E23874-E772-4FF7-B159-23A8A57C0770.jpeg

2232FE3A-6BC8-4E0C-A1FD-7872EECF6A09.jpeg

5EFB7A9C-8D7D-4726-B118-FB88199B947B.jpeg

5780DE51-BF7A-4F10-AA5E-52F6C280B2F3.jpeg

Sponsored

jeffdubya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
and as you can see, they manufacture hundreds of different MOLLE products. I’m excited to do this with my JLU!!!

jl_misfit

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Very excited to find this thread.

I think you guys need some MALICE clips from tactical tailor. Cut off those crappy fabric straps with snaps and use these instead:

https://www.tacticaltailor.com/maliceclip.aspx
Tac Tailor’s Malice Clips might work better and I considered ordering some. I ended up just using what I had laying around in an old duffel bag. However, check my post above. You will quickly run out of strap weaving it through the plastic, which may be an issue with the malice clips. The nylon straps are more pliable too

jeffdubya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Tac Tailor’s Malice Clips might work better and I considered ordering some. I ended up just using what I had laying around in an old duffel bag. However, check my post above. You will quickly run out of strap weaving it through the plastic, which may be an issue with the malice clips. The nylon straps are more pliable too
I’m pretty certain you wouldn’t run out of strap. Even if you thread it out an inch above the point you secure it, it should be very sturdy. The only issue will be that the longer slats WILL allow lateral movement. That could be minimized by typing the malice clips together with a few zip ties behind the panel.

Assuming you popped the entire panel off? How was that? I wonder how added weight like this will affect that over time? ::shrug:: easily replaced I suppose.

Jeep should have just put MOLLE in the back just like they did on the seats.

jl_misfit

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I’m pretty certain you wouldn’t run out of strap. Even if you thread it out an inch above the point you secure it, it should be very sturdy. The only issue will be that the longer slats WILL allow lateral movement. That could be minimized by typing the malice clips together with a few zip ties behind the panel.

Assuming you popped the entire panel off? How was that? I wonder how added weight like this will affect that over time? ::shrug:: easily replaced I suppose.

Jeep should have just put MOLLE in the back just like they did on the seats.
Popping the panel off was a breeze. I don’t think there’s enough weight in mine to affect it in any way, and the pouches come in sooo handy. I’ll probably end up changing my setup to one larger Molle bag (when I find one big enough) and maybe trying the malice clips.

jeffdubya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
I’m saving the seat real estate for double stack .223 mag pouches. You can never have too much in this day and age.
Sponsored