Engine coolant level?

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
Thanks! Thinking of adding more to get it between Min and Max. Could anyone confirm that this is the appropriate coolant to use?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017DP43Z...colid=JPC3S9YEX54Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

*Note* The manual states (page 443):

We recommend using Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 10
Year/150,000 Mile (240,000 km) Formula OAT (Organic
Additive Technology) that meets the requirements of
FCA Material Standard MS.90032.

The linked coolant above shows MS.12106. Anyone know the difference?
Jennifer from JeepCares was able to provide the information from her brand team and with her permission I'm posting it.
MS90032_MS12106_.JPG
Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
About 2 months ago, my coolant was a little below the min and a mechanic friend recommended I add a little water...so I added 2 cups of tap water. Its at the level in the pic when cold...should I add another cup of mopar antifreeze to blend with the water? Does the water make it less lubricating? Thoughts?
MtNIS1x.jpg
NEVER NEVER NEVER add tap water. Use distilled

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
NEVER NEVER NEVER add tap water. Use distilled
Agreed! This isn't the 60's & even then it wouldn't be a good idea to use tap water due to the minerals. My wife's dropped a little in the year since new so I just added the Mopar pre-diluted OAT and added the couple ounces to bring it back to just at the seam in the reservoir. I'm hoping it just had an air bubble or something that caused it to drop a tad. I'll look at it closer next weekend when I do the next oil change at 18K miles.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
How tight is the tank cap supposed to be screwed down, the reason I ask is I took mine off to inspect and when putting it back on it screws down and stops but if you give it a slightly harder twist it pops past the stop and screws down another half turn and bottoms out, it seems like it’s some type of vent system since it has a pressure rating stamped on top
I have the same thing, have you figured out which is the right way?

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I have the same thing, have you figured out which is the right way?
The right way is tight as mentioned, here is an excerpt from the manual:

"Cooling System Pressure Cap
The cap must be fully tightened to prevent loss of engine coolant (antifreeze), and to ensure that engine coolant (antifreeze) will return to the radiator from the coolant expansion bottle/recovery tank if so equipped.

The cap should be inspected and cleaned if there is any accumulation of foreign material on the sealing surfaces"

You can feel when its on correctly :)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The right way is tight as mentioned, here is an excerpt from the manual:

"Cooling System Pressure Cap
The cap must be fully tightened to prevent loss of engine coolant (antifreeze), and to ensure that engine coolant (antifreeze) will return to the radiator from the coolant expansion bottle/recovery tank if so equipped.

The cap should be inspected and cleaned if there is any accumulation of foreign material on the sealing surfaces"

You can feel when its on correctly :)
@ALRUI

You post is spot on. Tighten cap, slowly and firmly until it will tighten no more.

When you have the hood open always take a second to eyeball/look at that coolant canister. On the top of the canister, right where the black hose attaches, is a known problem area lets call it. Known to start leaking there.... may be slight leak to a misting type of leak.

For those that need coolant the correct coolant can be had at Amazon.com for a pretty decent price usually. Usually runs about $22-23 per gallon. Stealership will want $25-$26 for it.

It's 50/50 Prediluted, so do NOT add water to it!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017DP43ZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Check your coolant pumps, people. I had mine replaced under warranty. Problem would have been there straight from the showroom. Coolant wasn't dripping on the floor but had come out of the pump and dried. You might even hear belt slip when the belt is wet from coolant especially when starting.

Arnusoriano

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Scion TC, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, Horse
I just checked mine and it's almost completely empty. When I started the jeep I was able to see some pink liquid. I checked for leaks and I didn't see signs of it. It's gotten colder here in Los Angeles and I don't know if that's normal.
Conditions:
12pm at 67F
milage: 52K
Yesterday I went for a 45min drive around 9pm and when I came back I checked and again it was very very low you can almost not see it.
Anyways I contacted Jeep Cares to see what they recommend.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked mine and it's almost completely empty. When I started the jeep I was able to see some pink liquid. I checked for leaks and I didn't see signs of it. It's gotten colder here in Los Angeles and I don't know if that's normal.
Conditions:
12pm at 67F
milage: 52K
Yesterday I went for a 45min drive around 9pm and when I came back I checked and again it was very very low you can almost not see it.
Anyways I contacted Jeep Cares to see what they recommend.
If it’s under warranty have the dealer check and if not then get a jug of the proper OAT coolant and with it cold fill between the min and max line and then run the heat for a few minutes to fill all the lines and then add again if needed.

Sponsored

Arnusoriano

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Scion TC, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, Horse
Jeep Wrangler JL Engine coolant level? 20201201_122331
Jeep Wrangler JL Engine coolant level? 20201201_123121

I just top off mine. So when I open the tank it was completely empty at cold engine. I started adding the coolant and when I reached some point it started leaking ffrom the bottom of the tank! And I was only half way to the min line. Is this some kinda safety mechanism where the tank is designed so if u add too much coolant it will leak it? I'm sure I didn't spill it it just started "draining" from the bottom. At that point I stopped and the leaking stopped. But I could only fill it out as u can see in the picture. That's like 10min of engine running and heater also running.
I might try to add more tomorro I'm just curius to see if I actually have a bad leak or is meant to leak like that after some threshold.
Too bad I'm out of warranty already else I would have taken it to the dealer

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

I just top off mine. So when I open the tank it was completely empty at cold engine. I started adding the coolant and when I reached some point it started leaking ffrom the bottom of the tank! And I was only half way to the min line. Is this some kinda safety mechanism where the tank is designed so if u add too much coolant it will leak it? I'm sure I didn't spill it it just started "draining" from the bottom. At that point I stopped and the leaking stopped. But I could only fill it out as u can see in the picture. That's like 10min of engine running and heater also running.
I might try to add more tomorro I'm just curius to see if I actually have a bad leak or is meant to leak like that after some threshold.
Too bad I'm out of warranty already else I would have taken it to the dealer
Nope, your plastic coolant tank is probably cracked.

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
@kacper244

Just leave it be. I'd consider the level normal for cold weather (your locale) times of the year. I noticed since cold weather hit NY, that my JL's level is the same when the vehicle is cold... as in, has not been run say in 24 hrs.

Went to Florida and the warmer temps their and the coolant level, when the vehicle had not been run in 24 hrs., was right back up to the minimum line.

So, again... leave it be.. 8-)
How many mileage before you change the coolant on 2019 jeep wrangler jl sport?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
How many mileage before you change the coolant on 2019 jeep wrangler jl sport?

@jhern88

Per FCA....
Flush and replace the engine
coolant at 10 years or
150,000 miles (240,000 km)
whichever comes first.

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
Checked the coolant level tonight (I'm going to be honest and say that I haven't looked under the hood yet since picking her up in February :facepalm:). Looking at the coolant reservoir, I was a bit confused by the MAX/MIN markings. If you look at the pic, there are down arrows next to MAX and MIN with a line right in between. Question is, where exactly is minimum and maximum? I'm pretty sure my coolant level is on the low side but wanted to make sure I'm interpreting the markings properly.

Nope, your plastic coolant tank is probably cracked.
This coolant is pink and the part number 68163849AB, this one is color purple why is that?
Sponsored