Not open for further replies.

ProjectReaper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hows this been coming along i one company come out with a catch can curious how far we are from a Mishimoto one to hit market!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hows this been coming along i one company come out with a catch can curious how far we are from a Mishimoto one to hit market!!
We're still moving along with this project! I should have another update this week or next week.

I'd like to do some testing for ya! I leave on the 15th of january from Denver to Sand Hollow for Winter Jamboree then to Arizona and Nevada then to King of the Hammers for wheeling gunna get a lot of miles on the jeep.
5280Sapper Shooting you a PM! Hopefully you're still around :like:

-Steve

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

We have another update for you and I'm happy to say that we're getting really close to the pre-sale for this catch can! Check out the update below and let us know what you think!

One of the hardest parts of any adventure comes before you even leave your house: the waiting that leads up to your inevitable start. Sitting there, watching the minutes tick down until it’s time, is a test of patience. That last minute can feel like it lasts longer than the hours leading up to it. Here at Mishimoto, it feels like we’ve been in the final minute of our 2018+ Jeep Wrangler JL 3.6L catch can project forever. But with this post, we’re counting down those last seconds and moving on.

We installed our prototype catch can kit on our volunteer JL and sent it out into the world to see what it would catch. About 800 miles later, we paid a visit to our volunteer JL to check how much blow-by the can collected. We’ve seen in the past that the Pentastar engine can generate a lot of blow-by, so there was a lot of anticipation before we cracked open the can. Even in relation to our previous Pentastar projects, the results of this test were surprising.

20180814_135754.jpg

The blow-by occupied a large portion of the can, but to get an accurate measurement and determine the exact composition, we transferred it to a graduated glass container. The black, opaque fluid reached the 50 ml mark of our container, a level that clearly indicates our catch can worked.

MG_8238.jpg

With a container full of oily blow-by in hand, we returned to the shop to finalize our design. After seeing just how much blow-by the can collected in under 1,000 miles, we decided to add another feature to the kit that would make life a lot easier for our customers.

We often choose to use larger catch can bottoms when our 1,000-mile test collects more than 40 ml of blow-by, but the cramped engine bay of the JL wouldn’t allow it. Instead of making the drain interval longer with a larger can, we made draining the can easier with the addition of a drain kit. We removed the bottom plug on the catch can and replaced it with a hose barb. Then we guided a long hose from the can down behind the plastic fender liner and out of a conveniently placed port in the liner. At the end of that line, we installed our ball valve and capped it off with, well, a cap. The drain kit will make it easy to empty the catch can without having to remove the can from the mount. The cap over the valve will make sure that nothing clogs the valve.

MG_5902.jpg

Satisfied with the function and convenience of our Wrangler JL 3.6L catch can kit, our engineer gave the design the final OK. Our catch can is ready for production, and in just a short week, it will be ready for pre-sale too. The pre-sale will be your chance to grab one for your 3.6L JL at a deep discount, so if you prefer to be prepared before you hit the road, then keep an eye out for the next announcement.

MMBCC-JLP-18PBE_1.jpg
Thanks for reading,
-Steve

Last edited:

Sponsored

ProjectReaper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
following definitely plan on getting this in pre sale hoping to see pricing soon as well

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Have you guys pulled off intake manifolds after testing and are they dry? Do these have an integrated check valve? It took me 3 catch cans to finally find one that had no blow by through the can on my ls1, none of them were yours btw....lol.

Not trying to diminish your product at all just curious as i hate buying parts over again. But i know from experience there are some expensive cans out there that dont work well..."cough" rx performance.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
The small amount of oil that is returned into the intake to be combusted is minimal, and has been happening in manufactured engines for years... this mod is kind of a waste...0

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Have you guys pulled off intake manifolds after testing and are they dry? Do these have an integrated check valve? It took me 3 catch cans to finally find one that had no blow by through the can on my ls1, none of them were yours btw....lol.

Not trying to diminish your product at all just curious as i hate buying parts over again. But i know from experience there are some expensive cans out there that dont work well..."cough" rx performance.
We haven't pulled off the intake manifold, but no catch can is going to be 100% effective; some oil/fuel/water vapor is probably going to get by. This can is the same as we use on almost every catch can kit we make and we've had vehicles running them for thousands of miles with great results. The most telling projects have been on DI vehicles in which valve cleanings are a regular service (such as BMW N54/N55 engines) - our cans on these cars have consistently extended that interval by two or three times. While the only 100% effective way to keep all oil vapors out of the intake is to vent to atmosphere, our can has proven to be very effective in removing significant amounts of vapor from the blow-by gas.

The small amount of oil that is returned into the intake to be combusted is minimal, and has been happening in manufactured engines for years... this mod is kind of a waste...0
It's true that blow-by and the burning of oil vapors has been a normal part of internal combustion engines since early EPA regulations banned draft tubes, but it can still be detrimental to the engine's performance. As I mentioned, many direct-injected vehicles require expensive valve cleanings to combat the effects of blow-by. The 3.6L Pentastar is port-injected, so valve coking isn't a major issue, but oil in the amounts we collected with this catch can reduce the effective octane of the combustion mixture and coat important sensors if left unchecked. Excessive oil in blow-by has also been known to cause issues with EGR systems over time. You may not see an immediate performance benefit, but keeping that oil out of the intake and the cylinder will keep your engine running its best far longer than letting it run through the engine.

Thanks!
-Steve

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I have pulled several intakes off and held them upside down to drain the oil out. When the oil is pooling up inside the manifold it can be a problem. This happened to both my vehicles and one only had 15k miles on it at the time. Happened to my friends 2018 5.0 too. The whole design sucks really.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Any update on when pre-orders will be available?
Sorry for the delay in updating you all! We need to push the pre-sale launch back just a little bit; it will now start next Monday. I'll let you all know when the pre-sale is live!

-Steve

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
how about some good pictures of where your kit is spliced into the pcv system, and how the canister is mounted
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.