First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
I've been towing a little tear drop travel trailer (1100 lbs) and am thinking of going bigger. The Falcon loaded with gear will be close to the max of 3500lbs.
The hitch weight is under 350lbs.

Does anyone have experience towing with RVs around this size?

What do you think?

Obviously the camo one it the current small one. It will be for sale if I pick up the gray one.

20180630_120335.jpg
20180130_145211.jpg

Thanks in advance for advice!
Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I feel it will be highly annoying behind the JL to go that heavy. The size plus the max weight will have the same impact of trying to tow 5000 lbs more than likely. It’ll stop fine, and be relatively safe (if you use a WDH), but will tow like crap more than likely.

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I've been towing a little tear drop travel trailer (1100 lbs) and am thinking of going bigger. The Falcon loaded with gear will be close to the max of 3500lbs.

What do you think?

Obviously the camo one it the current small one. It will be for sale if I pick up the gray one.

20180630_120335.jpg
20180130_145211.jpg

Just wondering if you ended up buying this trailer and what your thoughts on it if you did.
Thanks

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I have a 2dr and settled on this one:
https://www.midwayrv.com/rv/grand+r...ltrailer/2175/travel+lite+falcon+f-lite+fl-14

It weighs 1800lbs as configured. I would think with the 3.6 auto it wont be a problem at all. It also has electric brakes. The frontal area is decreased due to the slope of the roof. It is also 1 foit narrower than most small travel trailers. I know it is getting close to tongue weight and max capacity but the 2 door is way under rated. The exact same setup in Europe is rated at 3500. If I have any issue I will add a wdh but i doubt I will need it.
Any thoughts from anyone that i may not be considering

Thanks

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

What do you think?

20180630_120335.jpg
20180130_145211.jpg

Maybe the R-Pod user forum (Forest River's extremely popular teardrop) people might have something to say about that.

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Just wondering if you ended up buying this trailer and what your thoughts on it if you did.
Thanks
I did and it's great! Set the cruise on 65 (flat) 60(hilly) and go! No worries.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I did and it's great! Set the cruise on 65 (flat) 60(hilly) and go! No worries.
What model did you end up with? I was looking at a few of the falcons, and the others in the same class (winni drop, rockwood geo-Pro, some keystones, and a few jayco etc.)

What made you pick Falcon over others?

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
What model did you end up with? I was looking at a few of the falcons, and the others in the same class (winni drop, rockwood geo-Pro, some keystones, and a few jayco etc.)

What made you pick Falcon over others?
I ended up with the 24ft rear bath pictured above.

Reasons:
Seemed to be high build quality inside and out (I live in it 5-8 months a year with work).
Dual axels (better towing stability, I pull from TX to TN-AL-CT-VA-ETC.)
The gray matched my JL well (I'm OCD like that)
Big-ish rear bathroom
It just seems fancier and more modern than the competitors. I really like it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Too much frontal area to safely tow behind a Wrangler, IMO.
I'm guessing you are talking about wind resistance? It's great and has no issues at HWY speed FYI.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up with the 24ft rear bath pictured above.

Reasons:
Seemed to be high build quality inside and out (I live in it 5-8 months a year with work).
Dual axels (better towing stability, I pull from TX to TN-AL-CT-VA-ETC.)
The gray matched my JL well (I'm OCD like that)
Big-ish rear bathroom
It just seems fancier and more modern than the competitors. I really like it.
Wow, I did not realize you went with the 24ft. I was looking at 20 ft max, It has been a while since I was looking but if I can safely tow a 24ft then that is hands down a no brainer. We would also plan to spend a lot of time in it with our daughter, so larger is better.

I'll have to go back and check these out.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Wow, I did not realize you went with the 24ft. I was looking at 20 ft max, It has been a while since I was looking but if I can safely tow a 24ft then that is hands down a no brainer. We would also plan to spend a lot of time in it with our daughter, so larger is better.

I'll have to go back and check these out.
I’ve said this before. I know people tow at and beyond the published ratings for their vehicles. The thought is that there is some built in margin so you should be safe. I was never comfortable towing with my Tundra even when my trailer was a bit below the max tow/hitch weights. I also towed with a 90 something grand Cherokee and had the same misgivings. Remember the Wrangler is a short wheelbase light truck and you’re going to pay a price in handling. Especially in windy conditions and being blown around by trucks. Make sure you get the proper equipment. Weight distributing hitch, trailer brakes and probably a hydraulic anti sway set up.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve said this before. I know people tow at and beyond the published ratings for their vehicles. The thought is that there is some built in margin so you should be safe. I was never comfortable towing with my Tundra even when my trailer was a bit below the max tow/hitch weights. I also towed with a 90 something grand Cherokee and had the same misgivings. Remember the Wrangler is a short wheelbase light truck and you’re going to pay a price in handling. Especially in windy conditions and being blown around by trucks. Make sure you get the proper equipment. Weight distributing hitch, trailer brakes and probably a hydraulic anti sway set up.
I am the same, that's why I was looking at much smaller RV's. I wanted something that fully loaded was still under the 3500lbs. I realize that physically it can pull it, but wanted to be on the safer side. I looked up the falcons again and the weight for the larger one is too much for me to be comfortable. Even the smaller ones are heavy, and I think that's why I was looking at the others last year.

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Above posts are true.

I have the load distribution hitch, anti sway, trailer brakes, etc. I can say, I dont get blown around by semi trucks, it isn't scary to stop, really no worries besides the size of the gas tank.
Sponsored