Jeep issues query for general interest

bairdy380

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 Dual Cab
G'day all, just getting the thoughts on the US "feel" for Jeep and its inherent quality (or lack thereof)
The Australian Jeep market is going to need to ovecome quite a negative perception of the current Wrangler products. Everything from engine issues, seatbelt issues, safety rating queries, airbag issues, fenders etc....
The issue of the one star Wrangler Euro rating is already causing an issue even prior to launch
Coming up against proven competition in the dual cab market will be very interesting to see how sales go over here.
So my query is (beyond the bright-siders living here) How is Jeep qaulity perceived as in the US market comparitively?
Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I have had way to many problems with my JK. None of witch have been cause by aftermarket adds.

The reason I will keep going back is that a Jeep is a Jeep. What else can you choose to leave the top, doors and windscreen at home on a nice sunny day?

I always tell folks that like my jeep and say they want one that if they don't plan on using it like a jeep don't buy one. If you don't ride naked or off road it you probably would be happier with something else.

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I can only speak from personal experience, but the 2012 JK I have is lifted, has been most of it's life, with 35s. Manual transmission. Mileage is low, under 50k granted, but it's had 2 problems, a heater vent thingamajig and a bad drag link.

I don't tend to keep vehicles into high mileage. It's been a better vehicle than a lot of the GM vehicles I've had given similar use and life spans.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I have owned 2 different JK's and I never had a single problem out of either one them they were both lifted an both went on road trips. I have heard of people having problems with them but I have either been lucky or they have been unlucky. I'm not super worried about the Gladiator having a lot of problems yes it's new frame and suspension but the drive train is the same. We will just have to wait and see.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I saw the 1-star safety rating video rant - still don't care. I doubt anyone here in the US who buys wranglers cares about the safety rating. Those that do care buy minivans.

Sponsored

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
yep that 1 star issue will really stop buyers (most of them ) who look at the rating & not the reason why
the media here in aus is big on criticising low rated vehicles withe 79 series land cruiser getting 5 stars (single cab) 4 stars (dual cab & wagon variants) it will be hard to sell here in toyota landcruiser land
the other problem being the massive reliability issue the whole jeep brand has here people just are not prepared to take the risk of being stranded in the middle of nowhere (you die out there)
but ill still be buying 1

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
ps to that facts have very little relevance ,perception is everything you guys know that better than anyone donald trump is your president:cwl:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
For now, I want 100% Jeep and 100% truck, and zero driveable computer. So, Sport to avoid as much tech as possible. I've had multiple bugs.

Wife quit Jeeps due to tech problems. "This is supposed to be trail rated" "we've owned five jeeps and they won't help us solve this problem?" "Honey that idiot read the codes and told me to replace that part again. I hate training the new people" etc etc etc etc. Not happy.

Down the road, I might go overland fully optioned, depending on the reviews and how much I love the Sport.

Partly my decision is cost driven, but if I am unwilling to pay the asking price, one reason I can go base model is to limit exposure to tech problems.

MACHZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 RAM Rebel, 19 subaru forester
I have had a long list of jeeps and my 14 has been the best of the bunch. The only problem I had on my 14 was a common radiator neck leak that they fixed for me. I have never owned a problem free jeep and I still buy them. If there was an option from another brand I may think otherwise. My 08 almost killed Jeeps for me as I had a never ending list of problems. The most difficult problem was I would be driving down the road and the wiper, horn, washers would start and the engine would die. They found the problem just before I comleted a lemon law.

They are not known to be the most reliable as is the case with several chrystler/fiat products. But Jeeps are unique and that's what keeps me coming back.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I DD a 2006 Wrangler had it for 11 yrs now, wife drives a 2016 GC Ecodiesel. Before the GC she had a 2013 JKU. At risk of jinxing myself, the only issue we've had was with the JKU, turned out to be an intermittent crankshaft sensor problem that did not throw any codes (I actually found/fixed this).

Cliffs notes: I have had 'modern' Jeeps of some sort for 18 years of use with only one wierd issue that I fixed with a ~$20 part.
YRMV ;)

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I saw the 1-star safety rating video rant - still don't care. I doubt anyone here in the US who buys wranglers cares about the safety rating. Those that do care buy minivans.
My wife will be driving the Pacifica with the kids 98% of the time. for the other 2% of the time when the kids are in my Gladiator...........you can't live in a bubble. We could die in a wreck, we could die crossing the street (my wife almost did 3 years ago, hit by a car going 25-30 in a residential section walking to the Packers Bears Thankgiving night game (packers lost) Still waiting for the courts to decide this one), plane crash, freak bicycling accident,you name it.

I'm going to put my head in the sand and never watch a crash test video though =P

NortheastJeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Wrangler
14 JK Sahara here lifted. Only problem is hairline crack in radiator. Fixed under extended warranty. Other than that fully reliable.

NortheastJeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Wrangler
My wife will be driving the Pacifica with the kids 98% of the time. for the other 2% of the time when the kids are in my Gladiator...........you can't live in a bubble. We could die in a wreck, we could die crossing the street (my wife almost did 3 years ago, hit by a car going 25-30 in a residential section walking to the Packers Bears Thankgiving night game (packers lost) Still waiting for the courts to decide this one), plane crash, freak bicycling accident,you name it.

I'm going to put my head in the sand and never watch a crash test video though =P
My insurance has been the cheapest ever owning a vehicle. Owing multiple cars in my life JK has been the cheapest. I live in New England.

Flamma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Trailhawk, 2017 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A
G'day all, just getting the thoughts on the US "feel" for Jeep and its inherent quality (or lack thereof)
The Australian Jeep market is going to need to ovecome quite a negative perception of the current Wrangler products. Everything from engine issues, seatbelt issues, safety rating queries, airbag issues, fenders etc....
The issue of the one star Wrangler Euro rating is already causing an issue even prior to launch
Coming up against proven competition in the dual cab market will be very interesting to see how sales go over here.
So my query is (beyond the bright-siders living here) How is Jeep qaulity perceived as in the US market comparitively?
I don't plan on buying another Jeep for it's superior quality. Jeep is also known as a Heep in some parts. Nevertheless, I'll buy it because of it's superior modularity, it's initial off-road capability (whether I am casual trail crawling or trying to brake an axle), and perhaps most importantly - the Jeep community.

However, all of those positive ideas and good karma will sit on dealer lots if they price their "lifestyle" mid size truck too high.

OP
OP
bairdy380

bairdy380

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 Dual Cab
It's interesting as I am in a 10 y/o vehicle now...and on reflection has had some mechanical coin spent on it. (stupid Toyota injectors...anyway, that's a whole other discussion) and couldnt tell you what it would rate agains current safety standards. Funny I accept the risk of the kids in my current car (lack of airbags and alike), but am considering what is the risk in a new one.
IanCJ10 probably states it best that we are not a country where you want to break down remotely. I have had a 10 hr session on the winch recovering a mate due to a transmission fault on his new ranger and it makes you think seriously on the reliability of your vehicle.
Jeep down here does have a bad rep for mechanical failure....reality or perception...I dont know. But is definitely in my thinking for this vehicle.
Being ex auto...I know you should never buy a gen1...but my life dream is a dual cab Jeep...and here it is (kinda)
Sponsored