Sponsored

Magnaflow exhaust system for the JL

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi
So, I ordered the cat back black magnaflow and installed it today. It could not have been easier. Took maybe 10 minutes to get the old one off and about 10 minutes to get the new one on. The pipe slipped over the factory pipe with no issues. Did not need to expand the pipe at all. It's almost perfectly lined up, but I may take a few minute to adjust that tomorrow. Could not be happier. It's slightly louder than stock but with a much better tone and no drone. Looks great, smaller than stock and lighter. Great system. They must have fixed the issues they were having. I've had magna flows on my other jeeps, Mustangs and Raptors and they've always made a quality product.
It’s all about when your Jeep was built, if I understand correctly. When was yours built?
Sponsored

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Email exchange I had with Magnaflow regarding fitment issues. There are more than 10 out there. They say its fixed...if you recently buy one, please report back on fitment.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
JP
Jeff Peterson <[email protected]>
Mon 12/31/2018, 1:15 PM

David,

We do not sell anything directly to the public at this time. Out of the 1,100 parts produced there were only about 10 with that issue. Distributors were instructed to inspect and return any parts with the wrong size inlet. I would not worry about getting one that doesn’t fit. If you have any fitment issues with the part you purchase you can email or call me directly and we will make sure you are taken care of.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

JEFF PETERSON | CUSTOMER SERVICE

O 800.422.2222 | F 949.858.3600

1901 Corporate Centre Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056

www.MagnaFlow.com | @MagnaFlow | FB/MagnaFlow

Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 12:00 PM
To: Jeff Peterson <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: 2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL 3.6L PART NO. 19388

Actually, if there maybe a few out there that are bad, how does the public know that the one they are buying is or has been corrected so that the pipe fits now? Have you instructed dealers to pull the first run? How would we know?

Dave

Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 9:26 AM
To:
Subject: RE: 2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL 3.6L PART NO. 19388

Hi Dave,

We had a handful of these systems that were not expanded correctly in our first run, but this issue was already fixed. There may be a couple of them out there at distribution centers, but everything we have in stock is correct.

Best Regards,

Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2018 4:41 PM
To: moreinfo <[email protected]>
Subject: 2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL 3.6L PART NO. 19388

Hello,

I am interested in this product however I am a member of a Wrangler JL forum and most consumers are saying that this muffler will not fit the OEM pipe. They need to take this muffler axle back product to a muffler shop to have the connector flange widened on your muffler.

Why is this? Have you fixed the issue and made changes to this muffler so that it will fit?

I have seen feedback from consumers online (Amazon, forums, youtube etc) and your muffler clearly is the same size as the OEM pipe and therefore is not large enough to fit over the OEM pipe.

Have you addressed this issue so that I may report back to the JLWranglerforums.com administrator or do I simple tell everyone to avoid purchasing this?

There is a Magnaflow employee who is a member of our site who refuses to answer questions regarding fitment which is not acceptable.

Thank you for the help,

timkim

First Name
tae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I bought it on may or june and had same issue. so i had to take it to mufflershop and wide the pipe to install. also it started to rust. (black powder coated). i live in CA and never saw anything rust on my Car or jeep. and they want me to send back and see if they can accept return. means i need to take it out send it back. live without muffler. and wait and see if they will accept RA. what if they do not accept it?

Sponsored

JLU Pilot

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite JLUR , 17 F350 SD CC, 17 Camaro 2SS Conv 50th, 60 F100
Email exchange I had with Magnaflow regarding fitment issues. There are more than 10 out there. They say its fixed...if you recently buy one, please report back on fitment.

I ordered Magnaflow 19388 from Amazon last week, installed on Saturday with no issues. Took me 30 minutes and I'm very happy with the fit.

ATTACH=full]130574[/ATTACH
2019-01-12_12-10-01_951.jpeg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
JP
Jeff Peterson <[email protected]>
Mon 12/31/2018, 1:15 PM

David,

We do not sell anything directly to the public at this time. Out of the 1,100 parts produced there were only about 10 with that issue. Distributors were instructed to inspect and return any parts with the wrong size inlet. I would not worry about getting one that doesn’t fit. If you have any fitment issues with the part you purchase you can email or call me directly and we will make sure you are taken care of.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Sent:
Monday, December 31, 2018 12:00 PM
To: Jeff Peterson <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: 2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL 3.6L PART NO. 19388

Actually, if there maybe a few out there that are bad, how does the public know that the one they are buying is or has been corrected so that the pipe fits now? Have you instructed dealers to pull the first run? How would we know?

Dave

Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 9:26 AM
To:
Subject:
RE: 2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL 3.6L PART NO. 19388

Hi Dave,

We had a handful of these systems that were not expanded correctly in our first run, but this issue was already fixed. There may be a couple of them out there at distribution centers, but everything we have in stock is correct.

Best Regards,

Sent:
Saturday, December 29, 2018 4:41 PM
To: moreinfo <[email protected]>
Subject: 2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL 3.6L PART NO. 19388

Hello,

I am interested in this product however I am a member of a Wrangler JL forum and most consumers are saying that this muffler will not fit the OEM pipe. They need to take this muffler axle back product to a muffler shop to have the connector flange widened on your muffler.

Why is this? Have you fixed the issue and made changes to this muffler so that it will fit?

I have seen feedback from consumers online (Amazon, forums, youtube etc) and your muffler clearly is the same size as the OEM pipe and therefore is not large enough to fit over the OEM pipe.

Have you addressed this issue so that I may report back to the JLWranglerforums.com administrator or do I simple tell everyone to avoid purchasing this?

There is a Magnaflow employee who is a member of our site who refuses to answer questions regarding fitment which is not acceptable.

Thank you for the help,

Last edited:

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JLU Pilot

I am hoping you can help with this..

I have an aftermarket steel bumper that sits lower than the OEM one. What I'm concerned about is the tips clearing the bottom edge of the bumper. The bumper I have has a lower edge that is in line or comes down to where the hitch pin hole is. So...any aftermarket axle back's exhaust tips must not be higher than the bottom edge of the pin hole if that makes sense. Can you send me a side shot showing where the exhaust tips top edge is in relation to the hitch pin hole??? I would greatly appreciate it...

JLU Pilot

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JLU Pilot

I am hoping you can help with this..

I have an aftermarket steel bumper that sits lower than the OEM one. What I'm concerned about is the tips clearing the bottom edge of the bumper. The bumper I have has a lower edge that is in line or comes down to where the hitch pin hole is. So...any aftermarket axle back's exhaust tips must not be higher than the bottom edge of the pin hole if that makes sense. Can you send me a side shot showing where the exhaust tips top edge is in relation to the hitch pin hole??? I would greatly appreciate it...
Does this help? There is a little bit of adjustment to drop the tips down but not much. You may be able to find longer rubber hangers to drop the exhaust down to where you want it.

6E541DD3-9D55-4400-86B0-6ACFE2CFA7EE.jpeg

341A36E0-1BAD-4605-8F8A-A7DF14691F3C.jpeg

849960FB-3113-4B25-BBC6-0DA8E078E14A.jpeg

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does this help? There is a little bit of adjustment to drop the tips down but not much. You may be able to find longer rubber hangers to drop the exhaust down to where you want it.

6E541DD3-9D55-4400-86B0-6ACFE2CFA7EE.jpeg

341A36E0-1BAD-4605-8F8A-A7DF14691F3C.jpeg

849960FB-3113-4B25-BBC6-0DA8E078E14A.jpeg
It does thank you. I might have to look at longer rubber hangers if I choose this one. From the pics, it looks like the top of the tips will strike the bottom edge of my bumper.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Email exchange I had with Magnaflow regarding fitment issues. There are more than 10 out there. They say its fixed.,
It may be fixed but I think every member in this forum that has bought something has had an ID sizing or length issue. Their quality has been poor to say the least for the JL. Lots of other companies out there now that will get my $

Sponsored

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Hey guys...I've been looking into the Magnaflow exhaust for my new JL Rubicon. Really like the look of the black dual exhaust, and the sound clips I've found make it out to have a nice sound w/o being overbearing. For those that have had the system on theirs for a little while now, are you still happy with it? Any issues with drone?

JLU Pilot

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys...I've been looking into the Magnaflow exhaust for my new JL Rubicon. Really like the look of the black dual exhaust, and the sound clips I've found make it out to have a nice sound w/o being overbearing. For those that have had the system on theirs for a little while now, are you still happy with it? Any issues with drone?
Hey Dave,

I'm very happy with my Magnaflow exhaust. I have had the axle back system on for a few weeks and really like the sound. I do not notice any drone and love the look of the dual black tips on my Rubicon. I did not have any issues with install like some have had in the past and it fits perfect with no rattles.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
I decided to take the plunge, and had the Magnaflow axle-back installed by local 4WP on Friday:

Before:
upload_2019-2-18_16-11-34.png

After:
upload_2019-2-18_16-16-25.png

Love the new look with the dual black tips, and sound is perfect for what I was hoping for. Nice deeper growl w/o being obnoxious!

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Just installed mine. Fitment issues are still not resolved...or maybe I received old stock. IDK.

It was a difficult install. Removed old one in about 20 minutes...new one took about five hours. Would not go over the OEM opening! Had to go to AutoZone and get one of their exhaust outlet sizing tools to widen it. Still lacks about 3/8” to go fully back, but fcuk it...close enough!

Waaaay more hard than it needed to be. I’ve installed three exhausts prior and NONE were this hard.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
A bit more info in addition to the above.

Same ole story. What BS from MagnaFlow. I read where "only 10" units were affected...that's a load of crap. 10% of total production maybe, but not just 10. That so called producation hiccup was the reason I waited as long as I did before buying one. Was hoping that would be fixed and all the problem units were long gone. WRONG!

Luckily, AutoZone allows for the rental of an outlet expander. As I said above, I got the exhaust to within, say, 3/8" from seating perfectly. Close enough. I would have gotten it perfect, but I broke the damn expander trying to get it there.

Northridge did there job in shipping it quickly, but I should have thrown a red flag upon inspection of the box. It had been opened before and re-taped. Why, I don't know...but it was. Maybe someone had already measured the opening and sent it back or something, not wanting the hassle. Maybe I was just unlucky and got some old stock...IDK, but it was NOT a simple and quick bolt on replacement.

Now, it does look great and sound great...but your still playing Russian Roulette when getting the unit. Glad its on but highly disappointed in the fitment.
Sponsored