Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Trying out these little tubing caps from Amazon... the 5/8 size fits perfectly, definitely an alternative to the socket organizer and a little less noticeable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BMXS3RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only thing I don't like is they are a little bit shiny/weird textured... going to order more (definitely need way more than 10 of them) from this Ebay seller, seems to have a matte/cleaner texture to match the interior

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251471122699

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 7.59.53 PM.png

testing out the 10 from amazon, looks ok I think:

IMG_1307.jpeg
So any pic after your testing. How many and their location. Picked up a 50pk after having a lot of defrost issues on Saturday.
Sponsored

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
So any pic after your testing. How many and their location. Picked up a 50pk after having a lot of defrost issues on Saturday.
Dont have enough of them yet, waiting on the rest, I only got that 10 pack

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I'm just guessing, but I will start with putting 5 Plugs in the middle at an every other interval.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@paulr

I found my defrost doing the job if I just took a 10" strip of computer mouse pad and placed it dead center on the dash/over the defroster holes. In the middle of that 10" strip, I had a circular hole about the diameter of a dime cut in the mouse pad, to let defrost go up through.

With the 12 plugs, I'm getting to replace the mouse pad, I will at the center of dash have an open vent hole and then 6 on either side of the open vent hole. Will add more as necessary..

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
So they arrived today, put in 20 of them leaving the 4 center vents open, seems to be good airflow on the sides now, also where the plugs are a little bit of air can still escape so it allows air out in those areas to defrost still, going to try this out and possibly try every/other, etc.

the eBay ones look WAY nicer than the Amazon ones, they match the dash plastic almost exactly

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg

Sponsored

kinneyb

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, Bright White, 3.6L
So they arrived today, put in 20 of them leaving the 4 center vents open, seems to be good airflow on the sides now, also where the plugs are a little bit of air can still escape so it allows air out in those areas to defrost still, going to try this out and possibly try every/other, etc.

the eBay ones look WAY nicer than the Amazon ones, they match the dash plastic almost exactly

IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg
Happy to hear it! I ordered the eBay ones as well. Are the difficult to remove, or do they rattle at all? Keep us posted. Mine have not arrived yet.

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Happy to hear it! I ordered the eBay ones as well. Are the difficult to remove, or do they rattle at all? Keep us posted. Mine have not arrived yet.
they're not easy to remove but not too difficult, they won't come out on their own, they dont rattle, but they dont all sit perfectly straight, if you want them to stay straight a dab of hot glue or something would fix it

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@paulr

I received my 12 plugs from that eBAY vendor today. Geeeez, they match up nice with the plastic on the JL.

I just ordered 12 more.. 8-)

The plugs fit tight and are easily removed as needed.

The plugs do not fly out or rattle, etc. when defrost is on Max.

They fit pretty snugly... I had two that wanted to wiggle a tiny bit, with Max air, so I neatly put two turns of black electrical tape over the frills and pushed them back in .....that cinched them right up.

Paul... EXCELLENT find! I thank you for positing about them. They will do the job well.

-----Careful navigating the forums. There is a nutcase on the loose... oh my... LOL----------

Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Just ordered three more sets... Haven't got the first two sets yet. Snow/cold coming this weekend and hope the initial order show up to try them out.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@paulr

I just messaged the eBAY seller, selling the plugs you gave the link to. Here is what I told the vendor:

"In case you are wondering why... suddenly, that you are selling so many of these.... Guy's with 2018 /2019 Jeep Wrangler JL's are using them to plug the front windshield defroster vent holes... to redirect air flow. Stock defroster vents do not get defrost air to the sides of the windshield properly.

Do expect to be selling a lot of these."

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
@paulr

I just messaged the eBAY seller, selling the plugs you gave the link to. Here is what I told the vendor:

"In case you are wondering why... suddenly, that you are selling so many of these.... Guy's with 2018 /2019 Jeep Wrangler JL's are using them to plug the front windshield defroster vent holes... to redirect air flow. Stock defroster vents do not get defrost air to the sides of the windshield properly.

And now his price will triple!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BLACKMOAB

Nah... he is already getting a pretty good clip for them.. and he knows he is not the only one selling them...

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@paulr

Thanks now will have buy Amazon ones this E-Bay guy will triple his price lol I wasn’t going to buy anyway
Sponsored