Sponsored

285/75/r17 on stock JL Sport

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Just had my Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed. 285/75r17. No rubbing, although have only driven on pavement so far. The spare fits, however rubs a little bit when closing the tailgate. I have a RC relocation bracket on the way, but glad that I was able to fit it on the spare carrier for now. Next up is a slight lift, still need to watch the overall height as I'm limited to 6'4" garage at work...I think I will be okay with a 2" lift.
Rubicon fenders would give more clearance without lifting.
Sponsored

JustCougIt

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Brand new to the Jeep community and just got mine on Black Friday. I appreciate all the knowledge that people share in here and it made me pull the trigger on 285/75r17s! Nodding my Jeep is so fun! Thanks!

Went with Helo wheels and Falken tires...black looks so much better than aluminum

55530262-AF88-4351-B06A-0CFDF0E73085.jpeg

E8EAD7F1-FFF1-4425-B62F-73D758B3E777.jpeg

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Brand new to the Jeep community and just got mine on Black Friday. I appreciate all the knowledge that people share in here and it made me pull the trigger on 285/75r17s! Nodding my Jeep is so fun! Thanks!

Went with Helo wheels and Falken tires...black looks so much better than aluminum

55530262-AF88-4351-B06A-0CFDF0E73085.jpeg

E8EAD7F1-FFF1-4425-B62F-73D758B3E777.jpeg
That looks great man! What is the back spacing/offset on those wheels? Any pics to show how much they stick out? If not can you tell me if the tires would tuck inside the fenders at flex or are they out to far causing them to hit the fender lip? Thx.

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Hi, didnt get the greatest pictures but tested with flexing at full lock at various heights.no rubbing, just cleared with a finger's width between tire and plastics. Got the rear tire tucked in, and suprisingly cleared as well. No rubbing, i had no issues with tires rubbing on anything on the inside components such as frame, shocks etc.. no issue there, but if i had spacers the tires would probably rub on the exterior fenders because we're talking as close as you can get before tires made contact with the plastics. So far it all cleared so im pretty happy.

DSC02150.JPG

DSC02161.JPG

DSC02152.JPG

DSC02144.JPG

DSC02189.JPG

DSC02149.JPG

Nice!! Did you notice if you were hitting the bump stops?

JustCougIt

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
That looks great man! What is the back spacing/offset on those wheels? Any pics to show how much they stick out? If not can you tell me if the tires would tuck inside the fenders at flex or are they out to far causing them to hit the fender lip? Thx.
They are -12 offset and they stick outside the fender a couple inches. There is absolutely no rub on full turn and I was quite surprised that the spare also fit without a spacer. I’ll have to get a picture of how much the tires stick out during the day.

Sponsored

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
They are -12 offset and they stick outside the fender a couple inches. There is absolutely no rub on full turn and I was quite surprised that the spare also fit without a spacer. I’ll have to get a picture of how much the tires stick out during the day.
Thanks for the info. I’m more curious about clearance when flexing. Are the tires to far out that they would hit the fenders instead of tucking inside them?

JustCougIt

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Thanks for the info. I’m more curious about clearance when flexing. Are the tires to far out that they would hit the fenders instead of tucking inside them?
The tires turn completely and don’t touch the fenders at all

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Hi, didnt get the greatest pictures but tested with flexing at full lock at various heights.no rubbing, just cleared with a finger's width between tire and plastics. Got the rear tire tucked in, and suprisingly cleared as well. No rubbing, i had no issues with tires rubbing on anything on the inside components such as frame, shocks etc.. no issue there, but if i had spacers the tires would probably rub on the exterior fenders because we're talking as close as you can get before tires made contact with the plastics. So far it all cleared so im pretty happy.

DSC02150.JPG

DSC02161.JPG

DSC02152.JPG

DSC02144.JPG

DSC02189.JPG

DSC02149.JPG
Hi Billy,

Thanks so much for all the info. Its been immensely helpful. I have a 2019 Moab on the way and I'm thinking of your set up as well as the slightly larger 315/70R17's on a 8" wheel with a +30 offset. I'd like to know what you think. With the +30 offset, the larger tires would be just 0.3" closer to the fenders and just .05" closer to the frame and suspension. Two main reasons for wanting this alternate set up is that I can get it in the C load rating and it comes with the raised white lettering option (which I love). Curious what you think about rub as well as tailgate fit.

Here's the calculator comparison to what you're running...

upload_2018-10-8_10-55-48.png
The 285’s are inside just enough to tuck inside the fenders when flexed. I’m thinking your setup will contact the bottom of the fenders when off-road. Your wider tires will stick out 1.5cm more than the 285’s and your wheels with a 30 offset will stick out 1.4cm more than stock. For a total of almost 3 cm. It doesn’t look to me like there’s room for that.

Vedder

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Nice!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe those tires (aired and mounted are 33 inches.. not 34.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Nice!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe those tires (aired and mounted are 33 inches.. not 34.
Yes, mounted on the Jeep the 285/75 measures 33" tall. They're right at 34" tall unmounted and measured like the tire manufacturer does it.

dirtygertie_jlu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Looks like mine is in the 18 MPG range now, and was showing 22.5 when I had the stock tires removed. So I lost about 4 MPGs which is similar to what you have seen. I knew I'd lose some. I was hoping it wouldn't be that much. Lol. These things decimate fuel economy.
Do you have the V6 or 2.0 turbo?
Sponsored