Sponsored

Auto or 6-Speed....and why

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
my wife can't drive manual and we have 2 little ones. It would be nice if she ever needs to drive the truck she can. Guess i have to get an automatic.
Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
So did the one who said the auto functions like a shifter so it's a twofer..

I’m sorry but I have to whole heartily and respectfully disagree. The manual function on automatic is not nearly as satisfying, not even close. IMHO

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I’m sorry but I have to whole heartily and respectfully disagree. The manual function on automatic is not nearly as satisfying, not even close. IMHO
Ya you are right. No compare. What is real bad is they abandoned the real four wheel shifter. I have a switch right now. That is just wrong.

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
my wife can't drive manual and we have 2 little ones. It would be nice if she ever needs to drive the truck she can. Guess i have to get an automatic.
Or teach her stick! I've been trying to teach mine but she doesnt want to learn so i do all the driving.

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
Or teach her stick! I've been trying to teach mine but she doesnt want to learn so i do all the driving.
That could be a good, or bad thing.

Depending on the S.O's driving skill...

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
That could be a good, or bad thing.

Depending on the S.O's driving skill...
She's a good driver and I taught her to once how to drive stick, she did well, but I wouldn't want her roasting a new clutch, and I'm not getting rid of any manual cars in the near term.

nerdridesbikes

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado
Need to tow 5500 so it’s automatically an auto for me. Though the manual would have meant a fight with my wife. I’ll save that for the lift the doesn’t want me to get.

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
M/T for me, no question!

Last year I got a 2018 JGC v8 (with the 8 speed auto) because it was the best fit for my needs. The auto is one of the best I’ve driven—solid, fairly responsive fairly quick shifting and it allows forced manual upshifts (which is uncommon in autos but very useful). Practically speaking the auto is great, but at the end of the day I really miss driving a manual in my DD.

Sponsored

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Has anyone heard any details about the plug-in hybrid drivetrain FCA is working on for the Wrangler (and presumably the Gladiator)? I've been a manual transmission fan most of my life, but a PHEV option could have a lot of advantages if done right.

TFL did a video a couple of months ago where they took some of the bits of info coming out for the new PHEV Aviator and tried to extrapolate what the upcoming PHEV F150 might be like. It sounds like they might be sandwiching a motor/generator between the engine and their 10 speed auto. Ford has already hinted that the PHEV F150 will be able to power a jobsite or camper either from its on board battery or using the engine as a stationary generator. A big enough battery would allow you to power quite a bit silently (say air conditioning all night in a camper) and replenish as needed with the engine.

I could see FCA doing something similar with the Wrangler/Gladiator. It would make a lot of sense for anyone using their Gladiator to pull a travel trailer or if you're taking your Jeep to a remote location and need power without having to deal with a heavy, loud generator.

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
My guess is that it will be similar to the plug in hybrid Pacifica, but it will be interesting to see if they use an auto with that or a CVT as done in the Pacifica. We’ve got one at work and honestly it works pretty well for what it is. It’s the absolute opposite of a fun driver engaging experience, but it works great. I think we have 2500 miles on the van and have only put gas in it a couple of times.

Pisgahlj

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ, 23 Gladiator
Considering the gladiator as a replacement for my LJ to be a little more family friendly. Unless it we're to get wrecked I would most likely drive it into the ground. The issue with the autos is the PCM. They are integrated with the ecm. Double the failure point. Look up the Jeep LJ auto PCM issues. Jeep no longer supports them and cause nothing but problems as they have to be rebuilt. I'm thinking 15 years down the road what are the biggest issues with this truck? Computers. I'll take a manual without an integrated PCM.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
These posts about tech make my stomach hurt and break my heart.

Yeah, deep breaths.

And somebody actually got paid to make that f.ing PCM!

Look at it, maybe as early as in 1920's but certainly last century we had mechanicals sorted. Like done, cost goes down, move on to the next engineering challenge. Cars should be cheaper and cheaper.

We know how to build a perfect mechanical JT.

But no, the highly educated among us have to muck with what was already working. So we got tech on cars. Ooooo so exciting. I can achieve 1% more efficiency! Reliability & longevity is shit, but that 1% means greater profitability!!!!!! Oh yay.

We've had tech for decades and the gap between those who can afford it and who can't is worse than before computers. It ain't the be all end all.

Leave my POS Stock as a rock JT alone. Build a No Tech option, please. I'll pay for it. Extra.

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
These posts about tech make my stomach hurt and break my heart.

Yeah, deep breaths.

And somebody actually got paid to make that f.ing PCM!

Look at it, maybe as early as in 1920's but certainly last century we had mechanicals sorted. Like done, cost goes down, move on to the next engineering challenge. Cars should be cheaper and cheaper.

We know how to build a perfect mechanical JT.

But no, the highly educated among us have to muck with what was already working. So we got tech on cars. Ooooo so exciting. I can achieve 1% more efficiency! Reliability & longevity is shit, but that 1% means greater profitability!!!!!! Oh yay.

We've had tech for decades and the gap between those who can afford it and who can't is worse than before computers. It ain't the be all end all.

Leave my POS Stock as a rock JT alone. Build a No Tech option, please. I'll pay for it. Extra.
Start stop is the biggest thing keeping me from getting a stick shift JT, the fact that i could be on hill and my engine shuts off when i push in the clucth by design is so ridiculous. yes i can disabled it but it shouldnt even exist in the first place.
Sponsored