Sponsored

Why Diesel Gladiator towing capacity will be less than 3.6L Pentastar models

kltk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAM 1500
Because the Rubicon is heavier by quite a bit (due to the 4:1 tcase, front swaybar disconnect actuator, etc.), and the larger and heavier tire size on Rubicons. I think Rubicons are heavier by about 350-400 lbs across the board.
The added weight of the diesel engine and cooler is also a reason why the diesel will have a lower tow rating, it's going to be heavier and will eat into available GVWR/GCWR. It has nothing to do with the capability of the diesel motor. Essentially, those waiting for the diesel either plan to tow a lot, and are counting on better fuel mileage, or have other plans in mind for the added power.
Sponsored

1st-Gladiator

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 and soon a Gladiator
When the 3.0L EcoDiesel Gladiator arrives in 2020, it will boast the most torque of any Jeep — at 442 lb-ft of torque. But, the diesel Gladiator won’t reach the full 7650 lbs tow capacity of the 3.6L Pentastar Gladiator. It’s expected to tow approximately 500 pounds less.

And a big reason reason for that is with more power comes more need for cooling. The larger air cooler unit on the EcoDiesel engine cuts down some of the front airflow coming through the grille, which results in reduced cooling area, which results in less tow capacity.
Here's the thing though you could pull a trailer up a steep road far easier in Diesel at lower overall engine wear. LOWER RPM

devwil68

First Name
Dev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK | 5.9 Ram Mega Cab | 69 Camaro | 4Runner | Camaro SS 1LE
What with this, what is realistic to think that I can tow my JK on 40s to the mountains? This is very concerning and the only reason I was going to go with the diesel.

I’m definitely not sure if the 3.0 will do it down...a 20’ flatbed and a 6k lbs Jeep...I’m getting very sad

mondo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC summit, 2014 Ram 1500 2wd reg cab, 2006 Jeep SRT8 turbo, 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Journeyman Lineman
What with this, what is realistic to think that I can tow my JK on 40s to the mountains? This is very concerning and the only reason I was going to go with the diesel.

I’m definitely not sure if the 3.0 will do it down...a 20’ flatbed and a 6k lbs Jeep...I’m getting very sad
Do you have a aluminium trailer? If not, you might want to look into one to keep the total weight down. Thats what im going to end up doing to tow my jeep srt8 to the track.

Sponsored

Oodaloop

First Name
Bora
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
When the 3.0L EcoDiesel Gladiator arrives in 2020, it will boast the most torque of any Jeep — at 442 lb-ft of torque. But, the diesel Gladiator won’t reach the full 7650 lbs tow capacity of the 3.6L Pentastar Gladiator. It’s expected to tow approximately 500 pounds less.

And a big reason reason for that is with more power comes more need for cooling. The larger air cooler unit on the EcoDiesel engine cuts down some of the front airflow coming through the grille, which results in reduced cooling area, which results in less tow capacity.
Here’s a link to an article explaining the reduced towing capacity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-diesel-jeep-gladiator-pickup-130000498.html
To think with all the resources and engineers they have they can't solve the cooling problem on a vehicle that has the aerodynamics of a barn door is ridiculous on their part. So much air is being forced through the grill because of the lack of aerodynamics and they still couldn't cool it off?

I understand rock crawling and massive tires are appealing to Jeep owners and diesel/torque will appeal to them but the only real reason you offer a diesel in a truck from a business/sales and practicality perspective is so you can tow (and get better mpg).

For them to plan to offer a diesel and then can't figure out how to make the tow rating go higher than the underpowered V6 just means someone failed at their job. They need to either fix it so it matches the V6's towing capacity, exceeds it, or they need to fire those who dropped the ball and hire more capable people for messing up what should of been a straight forward goal to execute on.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
To think with all the resources and engineers they have they can't solve the cooling problem on a vehicle that has the aerodynamics of a barn door is ridiculous on their part. So much air is being forced through the grill because of the lack of aerodynamics and they still couldn't cool it off?

I understand rock crawling and massive tires are appealing to Jeep owners and diesel/torque will appeal to them but the only real reason you offer a diesel in a truck from a business/sales and practicality perspective is so you can tow (and get better mpg).

For them to plan to offer a diesel and then can't figure out how to make the tow rating go higher than the underpowered V6 just means someone failed at their job. They need to either fix it so it matches the V6's towing capacity, exceeds it, or they need to fire those who dropped the ball and hire more capable people for messing up what should of been a straight forward goal to execute on.
I'm no engineer, but that sounds right on to me.

There's always a way, and I can't believe it was SO EXPENSIVE that they couldn't do it. Just offer it as a package. "Max tow for rubicon/overland, includes XYZ cooling stuff" If people wanted it, they'd pay for it, and then Jeep could say it offers a class leading X,XXX pound towing capacity that "should" be higher. How do they cool down racecars that are aerodynamic? Does towing create way more heat than full throttle 80% lap after lap?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
The engineers are being pragmatic. The intercooler for the turbo scabs off cooling from the radiator and transmission oil cooler. If it was a race car, they'd find a place for extra various and sundry radiators.

And according to the linked article, it's a loss of only 500 lbs towing. I simply don't care, because there ain't NO way I'd tow 7650 lbs with a 4500 lb truck. My towing will max out at about 6000 lbs. And with the diesel, it'll get 30% better MPGs while towing.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The engineers are being pragmatic. The intercooler for the turbo scabs off cooling from the radiator and transmission oil cooler. If it was a race car, they'd find a place for extra various and sundry radiators.
We're jeep people, we're not practical.

MadManMoheenid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE & 1958 Chevy Apache
I'm no engineer, but that sounds right on to me.

There's always a way, and I can't believe it was SO EXPENSIVE that they couldn't do it. Just offer it as a package. "Max tow for rubicon/overland, includes XYZ cooling stuff" If people wanted it, they'd pay for it, and then Jeep could say it offers a class leading X,XXX pound towing capacity that "should" be higher. How do they cool down racecars that are aerodynamic? Does towing create way more heat than full throttle 80% lap after lap?
They need to get Gale Banks on board. He's been building motors for the military since 1976 and currently has the largest military engine contract for land based turbocharged diesel vehicles.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
They need to get Gale Banks on board. He's been building motors for the military since 1976 and currently has the largest military engine contract for land based turbocharged diesel vehicles.
Towing isn’t just about the power. It has to handle and stop too...

Dietruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2004 Z06, 2021 Model Y
As an engineer and a Jeeper. I would rather have the 6v etorque system. All the benefits of diesel and so much more. I would trade in my just ordered LE in a sec for that option.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
...But, the diesel Gladiator won’t reach the full 7650 lbs tow capacity of the 3.6L Pentastar Gladiator. It’s expected to tow approximately 500 pounds less.
Since the only Gladiator that is rated to tow 7,650# is the Sport S w/ Max Tow, does this mean the Ecodiesel will also be offered in the Sport S?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

And according to the linked article, it's a loss of only 500 lbs towing. I simply don't care, because there ain't NO way I'd tow 7650 lbs with a 4500 lb truck. My towing will max out at about 6000 lbs. And with the diesel, it'll get 30% better MPGs while towing.
Careful though, because payload affects tongue weight and tongue weight affects maximum towing. And, the diesel will only be offered in the models with the worst payload numbers. So, the diesel may end up being confined to much more than a 500 lb difference if you've also got things on/ in the truck.

And yeah, it'll get better MPG towing, but it's doing it on fuel that's $0.60/gal more expensive.
Sponsored