Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
What is the 12v plug for? I bought the kit and monitor but still waiting for kit to be delivered. Thanks.
Never mind, assume it's this one for fridge?
https://www.genesisoffroad.com/12vpoweroutlet-p/171-12v.htm

I got the arb one for my dometic fridge that has a special fridge connector:
ARB 10900027 Arb Fridge Wiring Kit And https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742LV4JW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oHOkCb707CPYJ

I guess I will need another one in the front to power other devices? Or is it possible to change the JL's USB so they are always 'power on'?
Sponsored

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
What is the 12v plug for? .

A dedicated line just for a fridge. The original 12v outlet is connected to the primary battery as well as the accessory switches.

I wish they was an easy way to make these run off the Aux battery but I am still pleased.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Yep...I was going to do the ARB and still may run 2

79892A21-40F4-4F3E-BABB-321D828EB9B1.jpeg
Have you had any charging problems, trouble lights come on? ESS working OK. I am also looking into this setup.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Have you had any charging problems, trouble lights come on? ESS working OK. I am also looking into this setup.
Everything has been great so far. But I still need to connect the other options.

Sponsored

StovallH

First Name
Hyman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Forester
Let’s say I use the 12V in the back for the fridge. Based on the video, It seems the fridge will draw power from the main battery but it will switch over to the secondary battery if the main start to get too low. The system will leave enough power in the main to be able to crank the Jeep. Is this correct and if so what are the cons to doing it this way? Just trying to see if I need the extra 12V plug.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Let’s say I use the 12V in the back for the fridge. Based on the video, It seems the fridge will draw power from the main battery but it will switch over to the secondary battery if the main start to get too low. The system will leave enough power in the main to be able to crank the Jeep. Is this correct and if so what are the cons to doing it this way? Just trying to see if I need the extra 12V plug.
Yes and no...best bet is to run a dedicated line from the aux battery to the back of the Jeep to power the fridge. It is more of a pain to do the work but if you are going to go through the trouble of putting this system in, you might as well run the extra 12v line to the rear. When I eventually get a winch, I will connect that to the aux battery as well.

I am on the fence about adding anything to the aux switches in the cab especially because they are connected to the main battery.

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Yep...I was going to do the ARB and still may run 2

79892A21-40F4-4F3E-BABB-321D828EB9B1.jpeg
Separate topic - how do you like your stove setup? Space looks quite tight between the stove and tailgate table?

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Separate topic - how do you like your stove setup? Space looks quite tight between the stove and tailgate table?
To be honest, it is a little tight... to make the fridge fit I had to move the set up inboard. From what I understand the best fitting fridge around 50 liter size is the Engel. I am not done with playing around with it, but for now it will work. My plans are to make a shelf over it using some 80/20.

The stove itself is great. It is my second one. A bit pricey but pretty much bulletproof. They are made in Idaho (Partner Steel). I believe they were first made for white water rafting guide trips. I have my parent’s old Coleman stove that they got before I was born, but that pretty much just stays in my garage.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I assume that all of the power outlets in the cabin will draw from the Genesis secondary battery, or at least when voltage begins to drop?

Sponsored

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I assume that all of the power outlets in the cabin will draw from the Genesis secondary battery, or at least when voltage begins to drop?
It would be a good assumption, but no. Everything is connected to the primary battery including the optional aux switches.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
"aml": Shane Smith/Genesis Offroad has an installation guide video on Youtube. At 17:00 he says that the 'forward' battery is the 'accessory' battery, and proceeds to say that when the forward battery voltage drops too far...the solenoid disconnects the two batteries. I would have assumed that accessory power would include the aux switch feeds. Why have a secondary battery if all circuits feed off of the primary?

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
"aml": Shane Smith/Genesis Offroad has an installation guide video on Youtube. At 17:00 he says that the 'forward' battery is the 'accessory' battery, and proceeds to say that when the forward battery voltage drops too far...the solenoid disconnects the two batteries. I would have assumed that accessory power would include the aux switch feeds. Why have a secondary battery if all circuits feed off of the primary?
Shane mentions in that same video towards the end, that all the Jeep’s original outlets and functions are on the main battery. Basically if you add a winch, a fridge with a dedicated line to the accessory battery, and anything else, you should connect them to the second battery. Believe me I would have preferred to have all the current stuff wired to the additional battery, but I assume the factory wiring harness won’t allow it.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
No, I think you have to run all your own wires/circuits to the secondary battery for everything you want to run off of it.

Reactions: aml

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Anyone have this and willing to post a review? I’m thinking of getting it for my 19 Jl just for peace of mind that the little battery won’t die on me
Sponsored