Sponsored

Do I really need to reprogram?

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
Just replaced the stock wheels and tires on 2019 Rubicon JLU 2.0T and went up 1 size on tires. Went from stock 285/70r17 to new Nitto Ridge grappler 285/75r17 c rated. tire size comparison chart shows only 3.4% difference in circumference. Is it really worth it to reprogram tire size with that little of change? Just did it friday and had only driven jeep 35 miles on stock tires and could not see any real difference. I know new tire/wheel combo weighs 100 lbs. Chart shows speedo will be off 2 mph to the fast side at 60 which I can live with. New tires are an inch taller.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@PEABUDY

Well, I suggest you use a smart phone app that shows MPH to test to see just how much your speedometer is actually off with the new tires.

Once you know for sure then rethink things over. Come back and let us know... 8-)

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on how OCD you are about things working correctly. Vehicle speed sensors work with ABS, and traction control and could possibly affect function of these systems. Odometer will also be off slightly and can affect shift points on an Auto although the auto is also adaptive and would gradually adjust itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
@PEABUDY

Well, I suggest you use a smart phone app that shows MPH to test to see just how much your speedometer is actually off with the new tires.

Once you know for sure then rethink things over. Come back and let us know... 8-)
Took 25 mile cruise on interstate-cruise set at 68 was really 70 on my gps app.I can live with that.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was off by 5 mph but I went up quit a lot, if it jumps between 1-2 mph off with the 1” plus increase in height I would not spend the coin to correct but if it jumps between 2-3 I would correct but that’s me, long ago before programmers and such we just put on big tires and put in different gears but now it’s all corrected electronically
Sponsored