OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Alrighty then....

Back to business....I met with my engineer today about the Table riser...smooth cover (I don't know what to call this thing yet).

The current plan will be unpainted aluminum, to save weight (3lbs Al vs 9 pounds for steel) and the material can be a bit thicker as well to avoid making a "Drum". 6mm nutserts so it can be secured from the front through the MPAC grid. I should have some drawings early next week and a working prototype in acouple of weeks.

Doc
Sponsored

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Here is a quick peek at what I'm thinking.

Doc

IMG_2308_zpswdhcdwzi.jpg

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Here is a quick peek at what I'm thinking.

Doc

IMG_2308_zpswdhcdwzi.jpg
That looks super nice, but maybe composite/plastic is a better answer? A fraction of the weight, with on the tailgate and for shipping, it should cost less, and simple... Just ideas to chew on.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
That looks super nice, but maybe composite/plastic is a better answer? A fraction of the weight, with on the tailgate and for shipping, it should cost less, and simple... Just ideas to chew on.
Actually, making this in house out of aluminum will likely be the most economical option. Unfortunately plastic molds are extremely expensive to make and really only work out for high volume sales items. I'm not even sure how much demand there may be for this either. I;m guessing that I can get this as an option for about $35.00. Still $100 less than Trail table with the cutting board

I would assume that in addition, there will be some heat coming off the bottom of the stove too.

Doc

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Installed mine yesterday. It shipped faster than I expected. This thing is pretty nice. I'll have to see how I end up using it before I decide if I need any modifications (i.e. table riser, cover, thingy).
Springtail 2.jpg
Springtail 3.jpg

Sponsored

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
Sorry of this has already been asked on this thread, I'm short on time this morning and can't read the entire thread.

How well does this work with the OEM trail management/rail system? How about the Diabolical Slipstream rear security system?
I just installed the Slipstream unit and it works just fine with the Springtail table, plenty of clearance. Now everything I attach to this unit is also locked up and secure!

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Actually, the prototype turned out pretty nice....fits well and bolts up easily.Should be plenty of room underneath for MOLLE straps or hardware to mount stuff on the outside grid. I think that this makes it the only table that you can mount things on the outside at the same time without one interfering with the other.

Sorry for the crappy pictures but it is minus 4 degrees outside and 35 mph winds. I'll get better pictures and some real life testing done soon.

Doc

1BA8B1C3-7580-4ADD-B84F-070B153F7F36_zpsns2wji5w.jpg

32FFB6FD-15C5-4971-BCAF-28813B9E1283_zpsbfjsxmqs.jpg

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Nice looks slick. Can't wait for it to go from prototype to production!
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it so far. I will spend a few days driving with it to make sure there are no rattles and get some better pictures too.

Since they are not getting painted....production should only take about 2-3 weeks once I get the order in

For the record: Bare aluminum 0.063 (roughly 14 gauge) with M6 nut-serts.

Doc

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Also for anybody on the fence....I will have a couple of Blemished models available for a discounted price. email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Doc

Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Will there not be an option to have it painted to match? I’d pay extra for that even if it took longer.

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
For us, paint is kind of an all or nothing scenario....it is only reasonable to powder-coat if it is done en masse. Even then for a piece like this, it would not make sense since it would also increase the cost by 30-35 percent (That is if we did the entire order to get a discount on paint). I think potential customers are going to already balk at the $35-$40 price tag (mostly due to the cost of aluminum) as opposed to just rattle canning it if you want color.

I think for a potential food prep area....it also makes sense not to paint it.

What do you guys think?

Doc

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Ok fair enough. I could always spray it myself. Even though I will have some molle bags I would prefer to only see black through the holes when the table is up. Perhaps I could paint just the back side.

Thanks Doc!

OP
OP
Springtail

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Ok fair enough. I could always spray it myself. Even though I will have some molle bags I would prefer to only see black through the holes when the table is up. Perhaps I could paint just the back side.

Thanks Doc!
I think that painting just the backside (bottomside?) actually would look really nice. You would not have to worry about scratching or paint damage since it would be protected as well.

Doc

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Hey Doc, looks like a great product. Is there any forum discounts or do you have any seasonal sales?
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.