Sponsored

Still confused by 2019 Sport Rear Axle situation

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I'm still confused by what's going on with the 2019 Sport and the rear axle.

I'm looking at a 2019 Sport S, 2 door, Automatic 3.6

The "standard equipment" lists 3rd Generation Dana 44 HD Rear Axle
The "optional equipment" includes the Automatic transmission, and says 3rd Generation Dana Solid Rear Axle

Did they actually downgrade the rear axle to a D35 because it's an automatic?

In the 2018s, I was pretty confident that adding back the limited slip would convert the axle to a D44, but some folks on here suggest that is no longer the case.

Help - trying to figure out if this is the jeep for me. (I would have preferred a D44 with limited slip but otherwise this one is a good match)

Can the rear axle be identified at a quick glance? Haven't owned a jeep for 10 years and not sure what the markers are on the new ones.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'm still confused by what's going on with the 2019 Sport and the rear axle.

I'm looking at a 2019 Sport S, 2 door, Automatic 3.6

The "standard equipment" lists 3rd Generation Dana 44 HD Rear Axle
The "optional equipment" includes the Automatic transmission, and says 3rd Generation Dana Solid Rear Axle

Did they actually downgrade the rear axle to a D35 because it's an automatic?

In the 2018s, I was pretty confident that adding back the limited slip would convert the axle to a D44, but some folks on here suggest that is no longer the case.

Help - trying to figure out if this is the jeep for me. (I would have preferred a D44 with limited slip but otherwise this one is a good match)

Can the rear axle be identified at a quick glance? Haven't owned a jeep for 10 years and not sure what the markers are on the new ones.
I share your confusion. My only hope is that the LSD option includes the D44 axle but that has not been confirmed for 2019 that I know of.

Visually you can tell the difference between a D44 or D35 JL rear axle by looking at the diff cover in the area of the fill plug. The D44 has a large flat area around the fill plug. The D35 fill plug surface is stepped. I posted a picture comparing them in an earlier post. I’ll see if I can find it.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...dded-with-anti-spin-diff-on-sport.7648/page-2

See post #18

Last edited:
OP
OP
flot

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I was finally able to dig up build sheets for 2 2019 Sport S Automatics I was comparing, one with LSD and one without.

The one without LSD listed M200 on the build sheet under optional equipment.
The one with LSD (unfortunately it was a 2.0, I couldn't find any 3.6 with LSD VINS to compare) did still have M220 Axle listed

So I think in 2019, you get the D44 with a sport manual, but they are reverting to D35 with sport automatic UNLESS you add on limited slip. That's my current conclusion, anyway.

One more reason for me to order and forget my local dealer.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I was finally able to dig up build sheets for 2 2019 Sport S Automatics I was comparing, one with LSD and one without.

The one without LSD listed M200 on the build sheet under optional equipment.
The one with LSD (unfortunately it was a 2.0, I couldn't find any 3.6 with LSD VINS to compare) did still have M220 Axle listed

So I think in 2019, you get the D44 with a sport manual, but they are reverting to D35 with sport automatic UNLESS you add on limited slip. That's my current conclusion, anyway.

One more reason for me to order and forget my local dealer.
Well that kind of sucks that the D44 is standard but once you spend $2000 for the auto you get downgraded to the D35.

Kind of like the 4.10 gears were standard with the JK Rubi but when you add the auto it drops to 3.73 gears BUT then you have the privilege of adding the 4.10 option for extra $$ when it was standard to begin with.

There were reports that early 2018 JL 6MT were required to be ordered with the LSD/D44 rear axle. There were even some reports that D44 axles were coming standard on 6MT models even without the LSD.

Actually I don’t understand why Jeep has 3 different rear axles to begin with. The JK only had one rear axle. The JL has M200, M220, M220 wide.

I suppose Jeep had to inventory 3 different rear axles for the JK. D44 with open diff, D44 with LSD and D44 with Locker. Now Jeep has to inventory 4 rear axles. M200 open diff, M220 open diff, M220 LSD, M220 wide with Locker.

Oh well, nothing to lose sleep over.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Has anybody ever researched to find out the exact torque capacity difference between the 35 and the 44? I'm betting you would be surprised at how small the difference is.

Sponsored

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Beware! They have not done anything to change the problem with the bad rear ends they are using.
Do not buy now!!
202o’s have the same issues since 2018.