Sponsored

Bike Rack Options??

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
Great thanks! Hoping it will be a good fit for my hybrid bike. Was looking at quick rack vs super duty. Can tailgate open with normal hitch extender or is a hi/lo needed?
I have a normal hitch extender on my JK, and with the rack down I can open the rear tailgate, that's with the stock 255/75-17 tires on my Rubicon.
Sponsored

HungryKen

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
I do a lot of cycling, both MTB and Road. I find myself taking my bikes all over the place. I will have a hitch and know there are a few options that exist from Yakima and Thule. I know many also use the spare mounted options.

Do we not foresee a redesign coming for these products as the rear cam will be blocked?

Insights appreciated!
We’re driving jeeps. Do we honestly need a back up cam? Specially if you have a two door. sorry just had to throw that out there. The main hinderance would be full extension of the tailgate. But that’s just me

Reactions: KDB
OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
We’re driving jeeps. Do we honestly need a back up cam? Specially if you have a two door. sorry just had to throw that out there. The main hinderance would be full extension of the tailgate. But that’s just me
You are quoting something over a year old. If you read through the 20pg chain you would see this will long ago solved for.

HungryKen

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
You are quoting something over a year old. If you read through the 20pg chain you would see this will long ago solved for.
Thanks for the input. I apologize for wasting space on the chain.

Sponsored

Chunky Monkey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I called Thule and they said they are working on a modification for the Spare tire bike rack to work on the JL. I’m sure 90% of the sales of that model bike rack go to Wranglers, they can’t lose that market.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I called Thule and they said they are working on a modification for the Spare tire bike rack to work on the JL. I’m sure 90% of the sales of that model bike rack go to Wranglers, they can’t lose that market.
I hope they actually do this. I have a Kuat extender that opens completely wide like the Yakima Backswing. It works great for what it is but I routinely need to get into the truck and it’s frankly a pain in the arse and it would be for me with the Backswing as well. A hitch mount bike rack just isn’t going to work the best for me, so I hope some other “reasonably priced” solution happens. Roam has a great looking, but very expensive, option but no telling when they will actually produce and sell them. They can’t keep up with their rails now so I’m not holding out hope for ever seeing the bike rack.

That dang camera placement is a problem even if the camera quality is great.

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
I hope they actually do this. I have a Kuat extender that opens completely wide like the Yakima Backswing. It works great for what it is but I routinely need to get into the truck and it’s frankly a pain in the arse and it would be for me with the Backswing as well. A hitch mount bike rack just isn’t going to work the best for me, so I hope some other “reasonably priced” solution happens. Roam has a great looking, but very expensive, option but no telling when they will actually produce and sell them. They can’t keep up with their rails now so I’m not holding out hope for ever seeing the bike rack.

That dang camera placement is a problem even if the camera quality is great.
Just looked that one up...$1,000 and adds another 175 pounds to the vehicle. Someone else in another thread mentioned that if you do the spare tire mount and plan to carry mountain bikes it might be a good idea to add the tailgate reinforcement. Anyone have experience with this in JKs? Not sure if I should add the tailgate reinforcement to my build that I just put in last Thursday...

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Just looked that one up...$1,000 and adds another 175 pounds to the vehicle. Someone else in another thread mentioned that if you do the spare tire mount and plan to carry mountain bikes it might be a good idea to add the tailgate reinforcement. Anyone have experience with this in JKs? Not sure if I should add the tailgate reinforcement to my build that I just put in last Thursday...
My ISI rack cost less than that shipped and weighs less than 50 lbs I believe.

Note that I used to "hang" my bikes but with any higher end bike hanging from the frame is really not optimal on a vehicle. Strongly suggest hitch mounted tray style racks.

See post 198 in this thread (link below) for images of my ISI rack.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bike-rack-options.3426/page-14#post-285295

Last edited:

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
My ISI rack cost less than that shipped and weighs less than 50 lbs I believe.

Note that I used to "hang" my bikes but with any higher end bike hanging from the frame is really not optimal on a vehicle. Strongly suggest hitch mounted tray style racks.

See post 198 in this thread (link below) for images of my ISI rack.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bike-rack-options.3426/page-14#post-285295
Yeah I have the hitch mounted Kuat now but think I’ll end up getting annoyed flipping the rack down every time I need to get in the back. Same thing with swing arm type racks. We keep the rack on there almost all year since I can’t bring in the house and can’t secure properly on the small patio. Also no where to put the hardtop. Time to move to a house with a garage now. Yeah Jeep payment and a larger mortgage.

Sponsored

PGFDE121

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 FX-35
After a ton of research I found the perfect bike rack for me and a hitch solution to make it work on the back of my JLUR! Check out the video if you're interested. I hope this video helps some of you. Have a great day!

With the rack up how’s the back up camera view?

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
With the rack up how’s the back up camera view?
It's not great, but I can see through the rack enough to know if there is something behind me.

8647E67C-54B4-4B73-8050-5CF2493C71C1.png

F95107A9-1E98-4A32-9F7E-DFEE9D8EF4C0.png

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Finally got around to getting a hitch extension for mu Kuat NV. The only piece needed is the Fat bike kit to allow the rear wheel to be secured as the stock strap is too short. I'm also contemplating just using a velco strap to secure the rear wheel. Will also be transporting mountain and road bikes but wanted to try with a fat tire bike.

The 12" extension was purchased from Harbor Freight. The anti rattle pin to secure the extension to the Jeep is a Trimax TAR300.

The is no wobble to the rack and plenty of clearance between the bike handlebars and the Jeep.

Not concerned about rear camera usage as the rack will only be used when transporting bikes. As well, I'm old school and much prefer mirrors.

IMG_20190317_120054283.jpg

IMG_20190317_120118001_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190317_120133839_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190317_120354669.jpg

IMG_20190317_120405309.jpg

IMG_20190317_120422481.jpg

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Here is my tire mounted version. Works fine for my bike, gets me out and back for a ride quickly, and fits into the garage as is.

I would not take the Rubi off-road with the bike mounted, but I think pavement driving does not induce too much stress on the spare mount.

5A8517B6-55EB-4A57-AF65-A0F7E048942B.jpeg

9819023A-A62C-41F1-B389-41DF97796C88.jpeg

7DF406E3-F926-4A8A-94C4-E9450E745975.jpeg

I’m currently looking into this bike carrier. Can anyone confirm it’ll fit on a 33 or 35 spare tire?
Sponsored