Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
I always start out trying to do a quick and to the point post but once I get to typing things just flow. With that being said, sorry for the long post.

I've had 3 Jeeps. a new 2006 LJ Rubi (which I highly modified), a 2007 JKU (Which I installed a 6.1 STR Hemi), and now a JL Rubi with the 2.0 Turbo.

I've driven the Alaska Highway 4 times. I'm not new to Jeeps or that road. Only the road in the winter is a new experience.

2412e0i.jpg

I'll start off by saying I love this JL! Coming from a guy that had 330HP/331TQ at the wheels with my Hemi JK, saying the 2.0 Turbo is impressive should mean something.

2yxs07k.jpg

Since I was moving to Alaska we decided to replace both cars with new Jeeps. My wife really liked the Cherokee so that's what we did. We ordered them both and picked both vehicles up Mid Oct.

We had decided to liquidate most everything and move up with just stuff we wanted to keep. Our chosen method to move was with trailers and haul ourselves. With a kid still in school we decided I would move up to Alaska just prior to Christmas and then the family would join after school let out late May. So.....two seperate trips, two new Jeeps, and therefore we needed two trailers.

We decided on two 6x12 Aluma, all aluminum, enclosed trailers. Both could be resold in Alaska for what we paid for them in the states so it was a win win for us. So we shopped and found them in Minnesota. Cost to ship about the same to go get them so off to Minnesota we go (for a little road trip and to see how the Jeeps pulled them).

The unloaded rigs:

2uokn0y.jpg

The trailer and my JL both have a 3500lb towing rating (The Cherokee has a 4500). I knew I was going to be at that or worse so I added brakes to the trailer as well as putting on D Rated trailer tires (they came with C rated). I was a little concerned about driving the Alaska Highway in the winter and having a problem. I also added airbags to the rear springs in the JL. Between all that stuff I felt ready to load and go.

I loaded the trailer and holy cow. The Jeep squated! Oh yeah....air bags. Adding 45lbs in them almost leveled the Jeep. What I was now concerned about was the trailer axle. That baby was definitely stressing as almost all the torsion axle movement was taken up just sitting there. Meaning it too was squatting.

I hauled the loaded trailer to a local truck stop and had everything weighed. Get this folks......

Trailer Axle weight: 4000
Toung weight: 600
Total trailer weight 4600lbs!!!!

Between the trailer and the Jeep my entire setup weighed 10,500lbs. That's included full fuel and myself with some extra stuff in the Jeep to simulate crap I had yet to load for the trip.

Boy was I a little concerned. There wasn't really anything I could remove to lighten the load. Weather was to be below freezing and at some points way below zero. Having a breakdown on this trip could prove to be dangerous.

On Dec 7 I headed from my old home outside of Denver to my new home in Anchorage. When I left Denver I had right at 3000 miles on the JL. Perfect miles including some very rough and difficult wheeling! A Google map of the plan.

You can see in the next pic how the air bags helped immensely to level the JL out!

ac5vmw.jpg

What I wanted to report was more of the JL's towing capacity and how the rating is truly more of a "guideline". As stated, the Jeep has a 3500 tow rating here in the states with a Class II hitch. I exceeded both ratings.

Oh, forgot one thing....I bought a 2nd set of duplicate rims and planned to add studded snow tires to the setup at a friends place in Saskatoon Canada (1/3 of the way up). Another concern I had was the winter road conditions. That meant I was going to add an additional 250 lbs of tires to the setup as the rims were already in the trailer. The added meat....

72zltf.jpg

In the end, the trip was completely uneventful. Both the trailer and Jeep were flawless. The Jeep got an average of 14.5 MPG over the entire 3266 miles. I don't know what my average speed was but I purposely kept it always under 65. I did go faster a few times to see how it rode and did but the fuel economy went into the toilet.

THE ACTUAL TRIP! TRACK AND LIVE DATA (at the time)

On hills I saw instant MPG as low at 2! TWO!! That turbo just kept whatever speed I had selected no matter the grade. I credit that also to that 8 speed AT! Pulling 4850 lbs after the original tires and rims were put in the trailer didn't eve stress the thing out.

Now, I will say that there are concerns with towing with this engine. I've read engine temperatures are one of them. I didn't have that concern (or see anything out off the ordinary) at all because of the season I was traveling. Trans temps were staying close to 200 degrees or under. Everything on this trip was normal. I don't know if I'd expect the same results say if I towed this in the heat of the summer.

Brrrr. It was cold one morning!

kd4ggj.jpg

Saw as low of -27f at the Alaska border.

28tvmrk.jpg

Saw buffalo on the side of the road

2a5e92.jpg

and Dall sheep IN THE ROAD!

33z74ap.jpg

2u5w086.jpg

Anywho.....it was an awesome trip. Awesome Jeep! And I'd have zero concern over towing 5000 lbs with proper equipment.
Sponsored

Last edited:

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Great story and pics! Very envious. I wish I could pick up and move to Alaska.

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
...I wish I could pick up and move to Alaska.
Thanks! I lived up here in the late 90's. I always wanted to move back.

Get this, completely unrelated to Jeeps but get here, move in, go to work for 2 days then get FURLOUGHED! Grrrrrrrrrr!

Jolly’s Jp

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR on 37s

Get this, completely unrelated to Jeeps but get here, move in, go to work for 2 days then get FURLOUGHED! Grrrrrrrrrr!
I lived there from 2004 to 2007 (Eagle River). Loved it and the experiences. Drove up in February and thought to myself...what was I thinking . Kept seeing signs for frost heeves and didn’t know what they were. Found out real quick at about 60 mph.

Sorry about the furlough...working for the government can be good and bad.

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I lived there from 2004 to 2007 (Eagle River). ....signs for frost heeves and didn’t know what they were. Found out real quick at about 60 mph....
Yep. This was my 5h time driving this road. My first in 95, I was in the same boat. No idea what frost heaves were. Back then I did snap a trailer axle. Hence my concerns this trip with an overloaded trailer.

What is a definition of learning? "Change of ones behavior based on past experiences“. Well, I learned the first time.

This time I took it slow. At times less than 25 mph for over an hour on the worst parts. I was extremely surprised at how well the roads were up until Alaska though. Completely different. Still, took 8 days.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’m still trying to get past the -27......

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I’m still trying to get past the -27......
I know what you mean. It was in the -teens most of the morning, I didn't know it got that cold until I got to the border and rolled down my window for the customs agent. Whoa!!! Another testament to the Jeep. It keeps the inside very nice and consistent. No cold spots even on the doors.

I took this shortly after crossing into Alaska

2r6jluq.jpg

Jolly’s Jp

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR on 37s
I know what you mean. It was in the -teens most of the morning, I didn't know it got that cold until I got to the border and rolled down my window for the customs agent. Whoa!!! Another testament to the Jeep. It keeps the inside very nice and consistent. No cold spots even on the doors.

I took this shortly after crossing into Alaska

2r6jluq.jpg
Drove from Virginia and took the ferry from Bellingham...talk about boring! I drove the whole way back and was able to see some beautiful scenery.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

So sorry to hear that. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do for living?

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
So sorry to hear that. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do for living?
I'm an Air Traffic Controller. I've never been furloughed before as you can imagine we're somewhat important :) In management and been doing this for 31 years now but does that help me???? Noooooooo

What makes this this time different is that I just got here and I'm not trained on anything yet. Therefore, useless. Yep, totally, 100% useless.

There's always someone in a worse state. Monday was supposed to be a new hire's first day. He moved up to Alaska only to be told he does't have a job. His report day has been extended indefinitely.

I see you're a pilot out of DFW? I was at Denver Center and Denver Approach before here (ANC).

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I see you're a pilot out of DFW? I was at Denver Center and Denver Approach before here (ANC).
Good chance we talked before. I’m on the training side of the biz now, but flew with NetJets, and FlexJet before taking this gig. In and out of Aspen, Eagle and Centennial on a regular basis.

Hopefully you will get back to work soon.

:Edit: just noticed occupation displays under your screen name. I’m observant, lol.

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Good chance we talked before. I’m on the training side of the biz now, but flew with NetJets, and FlexJet before taking this gig. In and out of Aspen, Eagle and Centennial on a regular basis.

Hopefully you will get back to work soon.

:Edit: just noticed occupation displays under your screen name. I’m observant, lol.
I'd bet good money we've talked quite a lot. I worked the ZDV Area that covers ASE/EGE/RIL for 9 years. LOVED that area. It was nuts come ski season!! Odds are we talked at DEN Too for APA as I worked there for a few years.

Small world for sure. I was going to retire from ATC this may and fly for someone (not interested in part 121) but this job in ANC enabled me to want to stay another year or so. Keep messing with my pay though and I might rethink that!!

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a co worker that recently retired from Ft Worth Center. He helps us out, does a little contract flying, and rides his Harley.

Aspen was always fun on January 2nd.

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
My kind of guy I ride a Victory so I won't hold that against him! We love or toys though..

Jan 2...YUCK!!!!!!

1eop6e.jpg

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
@TheMike thanks for sharing. Great story.
What airbags did you go with? I’m shopping for them.
Sponsored