What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I totally agree that it's a poor design. There are people who have gotten the straps through with effort but the problem I see with that is, it would be really hard to take them back off. I just used zip ties to make several small "rings", then threaded them through those. Works great, you can't see them and preserves my ability to easily attach and detach the bags.

If I'm out on the trails and we need the first aid kit, I want to be able to grab it and go.

There may better solutions but this works and was cheap and easy.
How did you use small zip tyes ? there is no way to stick in it there and make it come back out. when the zip tye goes in it can come back out there is no way it doesn't have a slot for it to come back out out on the next vent please explain or show pic please thank you i really want to do this

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Chevy C10 1/2 ton pickup short bed. 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired IBM
Picked up my 2019 JLU on 11/30. So far...wheel locks, iClip, weathertech cargo mat, gray military blanket, and net hold down strap for cargo area, weathertech headlight & fog light lens protectors, towels for leather seats, 8.4" infotainment screen protector, grille & hood covers, fluid film the chassis/frame, silver pinstripe (hand painted), Wolfgang leather protector, paint sealant & wax (yet to be done)....just some little items to get up an runnin and add some protection.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
So this is how I installed and wired up the KC Hilites Cyclone puddle lights. I first fabbed up two brackets to mount the lights to the undercarriage. I used some flat aluminum stock I bought from Home Depot. I cut it to length, put a slight step down bend in it and drill out the two holes. I then fastened the light to the bracket and then to the undercarriage using the factory rock rail bolt located near the center of the two doors. I then routed the wires up into the cutout holes in the underside of the body towards the front of the vehicle (drop them back out of the most forward cutout, then up and over the body mount bracket and then up in between the firewall and fender splash guard,) ultimately ending up in the right and left upper corners at the top of the firewall in the engine bay. I then routed the left side wires across the back upper edge of the firewall to meet up with the right wires in front of the fuse box. Next I tapped into the dome/footwell light wiring (located in the passenger side footwell just below the glove box near the firewall) Using my multimeter I tested the wires and found which wire went to the footwell/dome courtesy light, and that is the yellow wire with the brown stripe. I tied into the wire using a T-Tap connector. Next I drilled a small hole in the firewall and routed that power wire through it (use a small rubber plug to route the wire through to seal the hole and protect the wire from possibly shorting) and up the firewall following the Cyclone wires I ran earlier (securing them together and to random anchor points along the way using zip ties) ultimately meeting up with the other two wires near the fuse block and battery. I then soldered and heat shrink wrapped all three of the hot leads together and grounded the negative leads to one of the three ground studs found near the battery on the inner body structure. And that should do it! I ran all the wires through wire loom and kept things tidy with heat shrink tubing and electrical tape. I hope this wasn't too confusing to follow and someone might find this info helpful. Let me know if anyone has any questions. * This worked for me, please check and double check your own work to make sure you've ran everything correctly.

068232B2-978D-4137-8CCF-E77348096D1A.jpeg

0729E4AD-5C80-450F-84AD-477A0BC3B72E.jpeg

8A1272C1-7E19-412F-B9E5-300E9FAE571E.jpeg

786A1A3E-483B-446B-9839-1D01E8A92CE9.jpeg

D0983556-0D38-4694-99F2-0615328F1863.jpeg

CBDF5A15-C449-4C7B-AA3E-8309070153CA.jpeg

FF90DAB7-97EC-48F8-A18A-16BBE5B72664.jpeg

78C5CD98-263A-4A89-A2DC-3B51560A4C29.jpeg

3C2FB850-3D25-4002-9F34-C33C9E99E45D.jpeg

371EC865-7970-4207-8120-1EB63F17BE6C.jpeg

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired IBM
Super pro install and very tidy installation mate !

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
So this is how I installed and wired up the KC Hilites Cyclone puddle lights. I first fabbed up two brackets to mount the lights to the undercarriage. I used some flat aluminum stock I bought from Home Depot. I cut it to length, put a slight step down bend in it and drill out the two holes. I then fastened the light to the bracket and then to the undercarriage using the factory rock rail bolt located near the center of the two doors. I then routed the wires up into the cutout holes in the underside of the body towards the front of the vehicle (drop them back out of the most forward cutout, then up and over the body mount bracket and then up in between the firewall and fender splash guard,) ultimately ending up in the right and left upper corners at the top of the firewall in the engine bay. I then routed the left side wires across the back upper edge of the firewall to meet up with the right wires in front of the fuse box. Next I tapped into the dome/footwell light wiring (located in the passenger side footwell just below the glove box near the firewall) Using my multimeter I tested the wires and found which wire went to the footwell/dome courtesy light, and that is the yellow wire with the brown stripe. I tied into the wire using a T-Tap connector. Next I drilled a small hole in the firewall and routed that power wire through it (use a small rubber plug to route the wire through to seal the hole and protect the wire from possibly shorting) and up the firewall following the Cyclone wires I ran earlier (securing them together and to random anchor points along the way using zip ties) ultimately meeting up with the other two wires near the fuse block and battery. I then soldered and heat shrink wrapped all three of the hot leads together and grounded the negative leads to one of the three ground studs found near the battery on the inner body structure. And that should do it! I ran all the wires through wire loom and kept things tidy with heat shrink tubing and electrical tape. I hope this wasn't too confusing to follow and someone might find this info helpful. Let me know if anyone has any questions. * This worked for me, please check and double check your own work to make sure you've ran everything correctly.

Terrific install, writeup, and pics, thank you for taking the time and effort to share it. I really like the effect and as I'm more than a little cautious about tinkering with auto electrical systems (especially a Jeep?) if it doesn't help me do it, it will certainly help the shop or helpful buddy get it done.

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired IBM
Thanks! I'm a bit OCD. :idea:
LOL….I'm just a bit that way too ! So, it looks as if you installed one KC Cyclone on each side...correct ? If so, the horizontal light beam is excellent ! I may end up doin this light install also.....in addition to a puddle light, it also functions as a snake light too !

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LOL….I'm just a bit that way too ! So, it looks as if you installed one KC Cyclone on each side...correct ? If so, the horizontal light beam is excellent ! I may end up doin this light install also.....in addition to a puddle light, it also functions as a snake light too !
Yes one on each side. My wife is the one that calls them puddle lights, I call them "lights so you don't step in/on something that'll get you or get all over your boots lights!" Hahaha...

RavenJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito 2016 Granite Backcountry 2007 Camp Jeep
How did you use small zip tyes ? there is no way to stick in it there and make it come back out. when the zip tye goes in it can come back out there is no way it doesn't have a slot for it to come back out out on the next vent please explain or show pic please thank you i really want to do this
The panel comes off. Just pry it off, it pops right off, thread the zip ties through or you could use velcro but I didn't have any at the time. THen it just pops right back on again.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Wait one second...We're supposed to consider if we need stuff vs just getting it?
I've been doing it all wrong. Dang it.
New to Jeep ownership.
:cwl: Good point!

To nearly everything other mood I agree. Steering makes me nervous, if it ain't broke then leave it the F alone. Lol

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
:cwl: Good point!

To nearly everything other mood I agree. Steering makes me nervous, if it ain't broke then leave it the F alone. Lol
Yes. I try to draw the line at stuff that can kill you.

"For only $149, we've got the new Jeep JL wiring harness that connects your gas tank directly to the alternator.
Its On Sale!
Preorder now and we'll include the 0.5 in OLED screen to monitor the the juice going to the juice!!!