Sponsored

Favorite offroad parks in TX?

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Will do, as the sense of (Jeep) community is an important aspect I am going to enjoy. Now I'll go back to staring at the calendar, waiting for my ride to be built and delivered. . .
Xd-lfsDU0weNreb06z3j3pxva0GDikn9Uzeyu-NuzA4dxFi4fMH5hMoVxzrV_eNJG2ti_Kf9W_ANzKJ35uU394duLA=w2400.jpg

There you go....stock 2-door out there doing it's thing!

For me, I'm not taking my stocker with a locker out there, although you can see that plenty of people do it, and enjoy it. Even bone stock there is plenty to do. My choice is more about the group of friends I go out there with, they have built up Jeep's, and are capable of doing the more challenging obstacles. I'd be the one guy running stock 33" tires in a group where most everyone has 37's and 40's, I'd hold people up, or have to take bypasses where available. Fortunately stuff on order, and next 30-60 days should have everything built to where I want to be. Until then...it's about the people, and the experience. (And I admit, I do enjoy taking the pictures in the mean time!)

WhiteGold nailed it. It's not just smarter/safer to go with people, for me at least, that's what makes the day enjoyable. The folks out at Hidden Falls really are a great group of people, its the experiences with 'em that make the trip, and the trails worth it.

I know a few people have said it (not sure if in this thread), but if you do Facebook, join the Austin Jeep People group. Lots of social folks there who are frequently out there, and always willing to go out. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Hill Country Crawlers https://www.hccrawlers.com/ which is a great club too.

Look forward to seeing you out there in 2019!

-Cheers

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Xd-lfsDU0weNreb06z3j3pxva0GDikn9Uzeyu-NuzA4dxFi4fMH5hMoVxzrV_eNJG2ti_Kf9W_ANzKJ35uU394duLA=w2400.jpg

For me, I'm not taking my stocker with a locker out there, although you can see that plenty of people do it, and enjoy it. Even bone stock there is plenty to do. My choice is more about the group of friends I go out there with, they have built up Jeep's, and are capable of doing the more challenging obstacles. I'd be the one guy running stock 33" tires in a group where most everyone has 37's and 40's, I'd hold people up, or have to take bypasses where available. Fortunately stuff on order, and next 30-60 days should have everything built to where I want to be. Until then...it's about the people, and the experience. (And I admit, I do enjoy taking the pictures in the mean time!)

WhiteGold nailed it. It's not just smarter/safer to go with people, for me at least, that's what makes the day enjoyable. The folks out at Hidden Falls really are a great group of people, its the experiences with 'em that make the trip, and the trails worth it.

I know a few people have said it (not sure if in this thread), but if you do Facebook, join the Austin Jeep People group. Lots of social folks there who are frequently out there, and always willing to go out. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Hill Country Crawlers https://www.hccrawlers.com/ which is a great club too.

-Cheers
Ok, I admit the first thing that got my attention was the santa emoticon shirt, but o ya, there's a stock Rubi in the shot, too. But seriously, wow, more great info and feedback, thank you! Your reference to being the one running stock amongst the big crawlers made me smile, as I think that can apply to many activities shared with others. (I was the guy years ago with the point and shoot camera who had no issue standing in a lineup of photographers with ham-sized cameras and lenses longer than my arm) so while I think I'd be fine with my stock rig, I do understand what you're saying about holding up the group. Maybe someday I'd want to upgrade, as I did eventually get some serious camera gear!

I have a FB account that is rarely used, but I do plan to check out the Austin Jeep Peeps.

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Ok, I admit the first thing that got my attention was the santa emoticon shirt, but o ya, there's a stock Rubi in the shot, too. .
I almost thought twice about that picture! I was from our Santa Crawl event, which featured a bad sweater contest, and I'll just say some folks definitely had a grasp on bad sweaters! Glad you were able to relate, I've been there before too, which is probably why I felt a little more sensitive to it this time. Even riding out...oh, it's fun!

Cheers!

Sponsored

WhiteGold

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR White
Vehicle Showcase

-Cheers
I am in AJP along with @MoquitoVerde @Tragdor .. and here is my stock with a crawler my first time out..I took 2 bypasses going up Revenge.

20181229_145236.jpg

Last edited:

WhiteGold

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR White
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I admit the first thing that got my attention was the santa emoticon shirt, but o ya, there's a stock Rubi in the shot, too. But seriously, wow, more great info and feedback, thank you! Your reference to being the one running stock amongst the big crawlers made me smile, as I think that can apply to many activities shared with others. (I was the guy years ago with the point and shoot camera who had no issue standing in a lineup of photographers with ham-sized cameras and lenses longer than my arm) so while I think I'd be fine with my stock rig, I do understand what you're saying about holding up the group. Maybe someday I'd want to upgrade, as I did eventually get some serious camera gear!

I have a FB account that is rarely used, but I do plan to check out the Austin Jeep Peeps.
I was the guy in our group on stock 33s doing everything the guys on 37s were doing. Yes, i was a little slower and i had to pick different lines, but i made it. This is @MoquitoVerde with hos lift and 37s on maiden run and another friend in a JKU on 37s. Another day we had a blast!

20190302_145744.jpg

cwoll1321

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Houston isn't great for crawling. You can run down to GTown or Surfside and get sandy and possibly rescue somebody's brodozer, occasionally us Houstonians get to check out our wading capabilities with the floods but that's about it. Would be cool if there was an "Urban Assault" course to wheel around in. Not sure what that would look like.... piles of crushed concrete .... articulation over discarded railroad ties culverts.... rolling over old police cruisers.... freeway dividers could make interesting obstacles....

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Houston isn't great for crawling. You can run down to GTown or Surfside and get sandy and possibly rescue somebody's brodozer, occasionally us Houstonians get to check out our wading capabilities with the floods but that's about it. Would be cool if there was an "Urban Assault" course to wheel around in. Not sure what that would look like.... piles of crushed concrete .... articulation over discarded railroad ties culverts.... rolling over old police cruisers.... freeway dividers could make interesting obstacles....
Sounds like a business opportunity. Make it happen. Lol.

Sponsored

TXSoxFan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Hi all! I just picked up my new Rubicon last night and was reading through this thread looking for ideas/suggestions of where I can do some light offroading. Seeing as this is my daily driver and leased, I am not going to be doing a lot of upgrades to it, so it has to be somewhere that a stock vehicle would have no issues. Also, since I have never really been off roading, save for some when I was in Aruba on vacation 10 years ago (in a rental I had insurance for and didn't care about), I am not looking for any crazy rock climbing but just some relatively easy trails (more dirt, less rocks) for a newbie (and that won't scare the crap out of the wife).

I am in the Austin area and will check out the aforementioned clubs, but any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Hi all! I just picked up my new Rubicon last night and was reading through this thread looking for ideas/suggestions of where I can do some light offroading. Seeing as this is my daily driver and leased, I am not going to be doing a lot of upgrades to it, so it has to be somewhere that a stock vehicle would have no issues. Also, since I have never really been off roading, save for some when I was in Aruba on vacation 10 years ago (in a rental I had insurance for and didn't care about), I am not looking for any crazy rock climbing but just some relatively easy trails (more dirt, less rocks) for a newbie (and that won't scare the crap out of the wife).

I am in the Austin area and will check out the aforementioned clubs, but any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
Hidden Falls is close to you (Marble Falls) and has everything from dirt roads where no 4WD is required to much more difficult terrain for advanced off-roaders.

Congrats on the new Jeep as welcome to the forum.

WhiteGold

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR White
Vehicle Showcase

Welcome! I am in the AustinJeepPeople and I frequent Hidden Falls. We have newbie runs on occasion, actually last Saturday the was one. PM me if you want to meet up out there. I did a bunch of the trails in stock Rubicon.

TXSoxFan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Welcome! I am in the AustinJeepPeople and I frequent Hidden Falls. We have newbie runs on occasion, actually last Saturday the was one. PM me if you want to meet up out there. I did a bunch of the trails in stock Rubicon.
That would be great, thanks for the offer.

thepriceisright

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR (sold)
I'm fairly new to Austin and I just got my first Jeep! I guess I should get around to making a Facebook account if I'm ever going to find anyone to head to Hidden Falls with.
Sponsored