First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
For the first time ever, I am starting a build thread when my new Jeep is fresh. I just traded in a JK that I had had, and loved. Then it was stolen. Even though I got it back, I felt "violated". So enter my new project. Blank canvas.

No name, and horribly stock for now.

IMG_2533.jpg
Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

For the first time ever, I am starting a build thread when my new Jeep is fresh. I just traded in a JK that I had had, and loved. Then it was stolen. Even though I got it back, I felt "violated". So enter my new project. Blank canvas.

No name, and horribly stock for now.

IMG_2533.jpg
Looks like mine - enjoy

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
I've let my build thread on this page languish. Time to start updating.

A few days after it was time for the first mod. The aux switch panel. Pretty straight forward install. Although it did require tearing out trim pieces and such. That’s always a little painful when a Jeep is new.

The install leaves a little cubby to left when you don’t have the rubicon sway bar disconnect and lockers. I think this would be a great opportunity for the aftermarket to add their own switch panel. The factory one is great I think, but I’m sure I’ll outgrow the four buttons.

In one of the pics you can also see the wiring is wrapped with the cloth stuff (name escapes me right now), which shows their attention to detail in the JL. This eliminates the squeaks and noises of wires rubbing on plastic.

2a.jpg

Running the wire loom across the engine bay. Getting the zip ties through the wire channel behind it were a bit of a pain, but it looks great.

2b.jpg

Ends over here. Wire up ground and positive. Run the rest down to wire inside.

2c.jpg

You have to open the inner fender to get to the firewall grommet. But they give replacement POM rivets.

2d.jpg

Pulled the wire through. Ran it into the center stack. Pulled all of it apart.

2e.jpg

And the finished product. Still need to computer flashed to know it’s there.

2f.jpg

I left off several steps. But CJ Part’s has an awesome video on the install. Very easy to follow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Rock lights installed. Attached to the Mopar aux switches. Love the switch programmability. These lights are pretty bright. Went with RGBW this time so that when used as actual rock lights, the white is better than regular RGB.

Need some real tires/wheels and lift to make the lights look better :).

This was a more lengthy install than planned. Pulled the inner fenders liner out on all four to help with running the wires. All run on top of frame areas and behind liner. So nothing to get snagged on anything.

5a.jpg

5b.jpg

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Had to go for it's first big highway drive. This was my average MPG for the trip. I don't buy Wranglers for their great gas mileage, but this is pretty awesome.

At least until tires, lift, armor, etc. Lol.

6.jpg

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Mopar hood decal. Definitely needed SOMETHING to break up the hood space.

Rubicon high line fenders. Mastercraft Courser MXT 35's and Vision Creep wheels in bronze. Not beadlocks, but does have a rim protector that can be removed for repainting, etc.

7a.jpg

7b.jpg

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
The 35's would not fit on the stock spare tire carrier due to rubbing the bumper. I decided on the GoRhino spare tire relocation bracket due to it also having an antenna mount. Install was easy, other than requiring a little modification. Had to remove the stock carrier again, drill a hole, and reinstall.

Even with that, only took about an hour total. Now to get the spare on. Probably going to need a crane...

8a.jpg

8b.jpg

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Lift install done. Then ran into an issue. Rock Krawler accounts for heavy bumpers and winches. Which is great. However, I don’t have those yet. So my front end was raised up a bit. Fortunately, Teraflex already had a solution. A .5” spacer kit. Added to the rear, now pretty level.

Then to my favorite stuff, some gold Metalcloak goodness. Started with just the upper arms for caster correction. Will add the rest later. Still waiting for my Rocksport shocks though :-(.

Some of you may ask, why RK springs and stuff, then MC shocks and control arms. They both make great stuff. I am personally partial to MC. But they don’t yet make a lift for the 2 door JL. Even once they do make springs I will probably still be limited to no taller than 2”. Which means Rancho springs are probably in my future. Once they release the 2” sport suspension for 2 door JLs :).

Yes, I’m all over the map parts wise. But that’s ok, that’s half the fun.

9a.jpg

9b.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
It took me awhile to decide on bumper. There are currently very few out there. JK bumpers "can" fit with widening mounting holes. But the JL grill sticks out more, which can make winch fitment difficult.

I ultimately decided on the GoRhino Rockline. I like the rear bumper as well, so that will happen at some point. I wanted the winch to be on top of the bumper this time, instead of recessed. Easier for maintenance of winch. I also wanted factory fog light provisions. Which this did not have.

There was a hole in the box. UPS had lost the mounting hardware. Made do for now with stuff from a hardware store. Which means the bolts aren't currently black. The company is shipping the right stuff to me. Will change those out once delivered.

I am very pleased with the bumper. Powdercoat and welds look good to my untrained eye. I really like the look of the bumper. It has cut outs for running the Winch power cables.

As you can see, I went through a few iterations of lights. But finally got it the way I like. Also got my custom stickers installed. Jeep is finally looking like a big boy Jeep ;-)

10a.jpg

10b.jpg

10c.jpg

10d.jpg

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Small update on this one. Got my winch installed, Smittybilt X20 Comp 10k. Meets my requirements and wheeling habits. My Bartact winch cover fits pretty well also. Best winch cover ever.

11.jpg

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Installed the Rancho quick disconnects. Can’t say I’m pleased unfortunately, I will probably end up getting something else.

First issue being instructions leaving stuff out. Like in this picture they mention making sure the flag is forward to clear the cotter pin. To actually, you know, disconnect, you have to cut the flag down, or the disconnect won’t clear it.

13a.jpg

The upper mounts don’t fit the angle very well. And the biggest issue is fit on the axle side posts. If the post had just been maybe an 1/8” longer before the hole for the retaining pin, it would be great. As is, it is a very tight fit.

13b.jpg
13b.jpg

OP
OP
jawest12

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
Next up was my ham radio install. This took a bit of planning as there haven’t been many installs for me to copy from.

First was antenna. Found that an L bracket nmo fits great under the cowl panel. And there is a seam there to drill into. I think it turned out great. Doesn’t stick out too much.

14a.jpg

14b.jpg

I was able to run the wire in through a plug in the firewall right next to the brake booster. I would imagine it’s where the clutch stuff usually goes.

For power and ground I decided to wire directly to the battery. There were other ways to go, but I figured I’d give the whole dropped windshield option a try. It worked great.

14c.jpg

Then I had to determine where to mount the control head. Above the rear view mirror seemed best. Running the cable was made super simple with the windshield down.

I mounted the brain under the glove box. It does not seem to mess with passenger space. But still easy to get to, and the speaker is loud and clear.

This JL has been the easiest Jeep I’ve had to wire things up in.

14d.jpg

14e.jpg
Sponsored