Jeep Wave [the hand thing, not the program]

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
At what point do you stop initiating the wave? On my motorcycle, I've noticed that coastal riders are much less likely to acknowledge each other while inland and mountain riders almost always do. I suppose it's like millerjl said and it's a regional thing.
After about 20 jeeps I stopped, then got caught by surprised when the JL guy waved at me first. I almost wanted to start the Seattle Wave (middle finger for those that dont know) :)
Sponsored

T.Pigott

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland HA
Occupation
Soldier
Vehicle Showcase
From my travels from Augusta, GA to Dallas, TX. both on I-20 and I-10 to Orange, TX I noticed GA, AL and TX Jeepers wave. But Mississippi and Louisiana Jeepers do not. Around here in Augusta Jeepers only wave on the weekends but not when going to work. It's weird.

tom231

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport. 2018 F-150 XLT Sport
The JL is my first ever Jeep that I bought in October, I don't drive it often as it's my wife's daily, but every single Wrangler I've met on the road has waved at me. I'm used to it because I traded in a 2012 Camaro SS on the Jeep and most Camaro owners waved at each other too.

cdhd2

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
So, I've read repeatedly about the Jeep Wave and thought it was kind of cool. A fellowship of sorts between like-minded enthusiasts/fans. Having ridden motorcycles for years, I figured it was similar to what I experience on two wheels. I have to say, I'm starting to think it's a myth. It seems no one in my neck of the woods is eager to wave from their Jeep to me in mine. Any of you in Southern California consistently waving and getting waves? Maybe I'm doing it wrong. It's half your body out the window with both hands outstretched and enthusiastic jazz hands, right? I'm going to be so embarrassed if it's supposed to be spirit fingers and I've been doing it wrong this whole time.
I live in the Los Angeles area and I have only received a Jeep wave from a guy in an old Chevy Geo Metro, but then I realized he only did it because I let him over in traffic. :) Maybe we should start a SoCal Jeep wavers meetup, so we can drive past each other and wave? Afterwards we could all go to a Starbucks for a Triple, Venti, Soy, No Foam Latte With An Extra Shot And Cream.

Sponsored

Bobby G

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Here in Central New Jersey, I get waves about 75% of the time, but a lot depends on the vehicle... TJ (2 door) and earlier (especially modified ones) at close to 100%, newer JK and JL 2 doors around 85-90%, but the 4 door (Unlimited} are down around 50% or less. As others have said, big difference between male (most waves) and female (almost no waves) drivers.
As a side note, I've spent time driving my old TJ Rubicon around South Carolina and have never gotten a return for my wave....but that may have been after they saw the plates and wondered what that Yankee wanted.

gmangsxr750

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU (Freedom Edition), 2008 Mazda Tribute
Occupation
Web Application Developer
So, I've read repeatedly about the Jeep Wave and thought it was kind of cool. A fellowship of sorts between like-minded enthusiasts/fans. Having ridden motorcycles for years, I figured it was similar to what I experience on two wheels. I have to say, I'm starting to think it's a myth. It seems no one in my neck of the woods is eager to wave from their Jeep to me in mine. Any of you in Southern California consistently waving and getting waves? Maybe I'm doing it wrong. It's half your body out the window with both hands outstretched and enthusiastic jazz hands, right? I'm going to be so embarrassed if it's supposed to be spirit fingers and I've been doing it wrong this whole time.
I'm in Northern Virginia just. We rival Los Angeles in traffic and are a huge tech industry. Very expensive area to live in but also not too far from farm land. So most jeeps in this area will never see dirt.

When I'm driving around the city I get a pretty good return on the wave. Even on 2 lane roads from the far side.

Usually when I don't it's a soccer mom driving the jeep.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
There has been a steady decrease in the knowledge of the wave with each model of Wrangler. With the JK's we joked the soccer moms would never waive at us.

Its spread with release of the JL.
Well, I'm a JL waving fool. Emphasis on the fool part.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I am a little disappointed on the Jeep wave thingie too. Since driving my JL in early Nov 2018, I got about 60% wave back, if not less! (from the ones I initiated. I dont count the ones that waved at me first).

The reason I am disappointed is this is the second Jeep I drive. Back in early 2000s, I had a lot of people waved/waved back at me driving a '97 Wrangler.

Is this a generational thing? Young drivers dont get the Jeep wave?
You may be right. I think a couple well made commercials (YouTube ads) showing that the wave is a thing and there'd be a surge in waving activity.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Yeah... I only wave at Wranglers! although it's call a Jeep wave! :)
I'm told the "wrangle dangle" was considered but the old timers couldn't agree on what exactly should be dangled. So, they settled for the "Jeep wave."

Sponsored

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I'm in Northern Virginia just. We rival Los Angeles in traffic and are a huge tech industry. Very expensive area to live in but also not too far from farm land. So most jeeps in this area will never see dirt.

When I'm driving around the city I get a pretty good return on the wave. Even on 2 lane roads from the far side.

Usually when I don't it's a soccer mom driving the jeep.
Soccer moms are taking a beating on this thread! Just so that anyone reading this doesn't get the wrong idea and think that soccer moms never wave from their Jeeps, I was lucky enough to capture a wave from one of them on my dashcam. Here's a screen shot:

Bigfoot.jpg

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
From my travels from Augusta, GA to Dallas, TX. both on I-20 and I-10 to Orange, TX I noticed GA, AL and TX Jeepers wave. But Mississippi and Louisiana Jeepers do not. Around here in Augusta Jeepers only wave on the weekends but not when going to work. It's weird.
Weekend wavers. Now that's something. Haha.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I live in the Los Angeles area and I have only received a Jeep wave from a guy in an old Chevy Geo Metro, but then I realized he only did it because I let him over in traffic. :) Maybe we should start a SoCal Jeep wavers meetup, so we can drive past each other and wave? Afterwards we could all go to a Starbucks for a Triple, Venti, Soy, No Foam Latte With An Extra Shot And Cream.
Haha! Fantastic. I'm in. I can't wait to park at Starbucks with one wheel on the parking block/cement thingy.

marjamr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Here in Western PA I get a wave about 70% of the time but there are literally so many Wranglers on the road that you just about have to drive with two or three fingers extended above your steering wheel at all times just to reciprocate.

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Oceanside , CA close to (OP in Fallbrook) and have had my JL Rubi since Thanksgiving weekend. Didn't know about the wave until last week, when one of my co-workers told me about it. So I started waving last week. Honestly, I know I have received probably three waves in town, but lots out in the desert last weekend. In So Cal people are to busy texting and driving to see someone wave at them....we can be self absorbed at times! :involve:
Sponsored