jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
In the woods north of Houston here... From kids on bikes to old folks on the front porch. Jeep or no jeep. We be wavers! ( and greeters... good morning, etc.. yes ma'am, please and thank you.) Welcome to the friendly south.
I thought that existed only in novels or movies. I think I could get used to that.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I wave every time. Most wave back.

and for those that don't....

I follow them home, watch them for awhile, get to know their routine.
Then I go into their backyard, take off my pants and use their grill to make BBQ Chicken.

and I don't clean the grill afterward.
What does your Jeep look like again? Haha.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Exactly. What does it hurt to wave? Nothing. So be friendly and wave. I guess I'm just like that though. I'll smile and greet a person as I walk by, wave at the random person sitting on the porch, or strike up a conversation with the person waiting in line with me. It's just a friendly thing to do. Simple and free, why not be friendly.

I'll wave at Renegades since they tend to wave back. All the others, not so much. If they wave first I'll wave back (that goes for anybody, driving anything really). But Renegades, for some reason, will return wave about as frequently as a Wrangler. So I wave at both, whether they wave or not.
The world would be a better place if more people shared your attitude.

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
I haven't ordered a Wrangler yet (likely the beginning of March) but I'm not looking forward to the wave thing.

I've been dealing with waves for 25+ years on bikes. These days if someone waves I'll likely return it, but I never initiate it and if I'm busy doing something else, like pulling in the clutch while braking or even just setting up for a turn, I don't go out of my way to return one.

A turning point for me with the (bike) wave thing came when I worked for a place that had test bikes available. I took a Harley Softail home over the 4th of July break. On more occassions than I care to remember, a rider would be coming at me, and would wait until he could see the badge on the tank before he'd throw a last minute wave. Seriously? I've owned one brand exclusively** for the past 25 years, but snobbery towards a brand just turns me off. I much prefer the Harley rider that appreciates a Ducati than the Ducati rider who thinks it's the only bike worth riding.

So will a head nod work as well as a wave? I do that on bikes about as much as waving back... I mean, I'd be happy to talk about Jeeps (or bikes) at the gas station on a forum or whatever, and I appreciate the mods people are doing, but I just don't have a great feeling about waving to people every time a Wrangler drives by. For cripe sakes, there are a LOT of Wranglers around here...

I'm rambling on and likely not explaining it well. Basically to me a brand/model specific wave can indicate a snobbery part of ownership and that turns me off in a big way. Note I said CAN indicate.

I dunno. I guess another option is I'm just an antisocial grouch.

**This exclusiveness was broken last spring when I bought a non-Ducati track bike. It was SO cheap, and about as close to a Ducati as you can get without actualy being one. And I feel like a traitor when I ride it so I will likely end up on a Ducati track bike in the next year or so too... I just have to get the Wrangler in house before I spend money on other stuff!

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I haven't ordered a Wrangler yet (likely the beginning of March) but I'm not looking forward to the wave thing.

I've been dealing with waves for 25+ years on bikes. These days if someone waves I'll likely return it, but I never initiate it and if I'm busy doing something else, like pulling in the clutch while braking or even just setting up for a turn, I don't go out of my way to return one.

A turning point for me with the (bike) wave thing came when I worked for a place that had test bikes available. I took a Harley Softail home over the 4th of July break. On more occassions than I care to remember, a rider would be coming at me, and would wait until he could see the badge on the tank before he'd throw a last minute wave. Seriously? I've owned one brand exclusively** for the past 25 years, but snobbery towards a brand just turns me off. I much prefer the Harley rider that appreciates a Ducati than the Ducati rider who thinks it's the only bike worth riding.

So will a head nod work as well as a wave? I do that on bikes about as much as waving back... I mean, I'd be happy to talk about Jeeps (or bikes) at the gas station on a forum or whatever, and I appreciate the mods people are doing, but I just don't have a great feeling about waving to people every time a Wrangler drives by. For cripe sakes, there are a LOT of Wranglers around here...

I'm rambling on and likely not explaining it well. Basically to me a brand/model specific wave can indicate a snobbery part of ownership and that turns me off in a big way. Note I said CAN indicate.

I dunno. I guess another option is I'm just an antisocial grouch.

**This exclusiveness was broken last spring when I bought a non-Ducati track bike. It was SO cheap, and about as close to a Ducati as you can get without actualy being one. And I feel like a traitor when I ride it so I will likely end up on a Ducati track bike in the next year or so too... I just have to get the Wrangler in house before I spend money on other stuff!
First, come to Rancho SD and you won't have to worry about waves. Haha. Second, I can totally relate to much of what you wrote regarding the potential snobbery associated with the wave. My experience on motorcycles has been that HD riders very rarely would wave to me even when I've acknowledged them first (I've owned a number of different bikes but never an HD) but riders on all kinds of different bikes wave, even those on Ducatis. I chalked it up to the too prevalent "we're too cool" attitude that is unfortunately associated with Harleys. I can see how that might translate to the Wrangler but the difference I see (with my very limited Jeep experience) is that the motorcycle wave transcends brands (in most cases) while the culture of the Jeep wave seems to be much more defined/limited and not expected by those not in a Wrangler to extend to them. I imagine that when I eventually take my Jeep off road, I'll be waving at trucks and dirt bikes with as much enthusiasm as I would another Jeep. It's about the shared enthusiasm and an "I get you."

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I wave. Here in central Maryland I get a lot of waves, maybe 80%. I get waves from CJs to molded JKs. I’ve had 4 TJs (one in the garage now), from stock on up, and it seems the more modded they are the more likely I get a wave. My lifted, locked and armored TJ gets a lot of waves now. I’ll see how my stock JL does when it comes in this month.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I wave. Here in central Maryland I get a lot of waves, maybe 80%. I get waves from CJs to molded JKs. I’ve had 4 TJs (one in the garage now), from stock on up, and it seems the more modded they are the more likely I get a wave. My lifted, locked and armored TJ gets a lot of waves now. I’ll see how my stock JL does when it comes in this month.
I know it was a typo but had to chuckle with "molded" JKs. Freudian slip? I have a goal that's going to be tough - keeping my JL stock.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I personally choose to wave every time. My fancy new JLUR is my first Jeep so if anyone should be initiating a wave it’s me! LOL.

I’d say I get a little less than 50% return rate up here in MA. The return rate does definitely go up when I’m running naked though. Gonna be a while before it’s warm enough to start doing that again. :crying:

But anyhow, I figure the Jeep is about freedom. There’s plenty of reasons someone might not wave back or not be into the wave at all, so it’s all good. Although when they do wave, I do tend to assume they are probably cool people. Heh.

MeepMeepJeep

First Name
Julia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2015 Wrangler
I'm also in MA and get about an 85% wave return rate. A new phenomenon, at Dunk's if you are behind or in front of a fellow Jeeper, either they buy you coffee or you buy it for them. It's happened to me three times in past few months. That's a perk! It always makes my day. We live in a big beachy area though so it's an insanely high rate of Wrangler drivers here.

DEK

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Lots of Jeep wavers here in Las Vegas. Kinda cool.....

Sponsored

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I'm also in MA and get about an 85% wave return rate. A new phenomenon, at Dunk's if you are behind or in front of a fellow Jeeper, either they buy you coffee or you buy it for them. It's happened to me three times in past few months. That's a perk! It always makes my day. We live in a big beachy area though so it's an insanely high rate of Wrangler drivers here.
I imagine the person in front is doing the buying. What a cool idea. Except, I drink the foo foo fancy stuff.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I wave, that’s what matters. It doesn’t bother me if I don’t get a return wave and I may miss some waves if my attention is elsewhere.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Where I live, there are a lot of soccer moms riding Wranglers. Not only they do not wave back, they look at me like I am a pervert that desperate for MILF. Other observations:
(1) people with weird mods (like angry bird grille) usually do not wave.
(2) people with 30%+ front windshield tint, seriously even if they wave I cannot see it, and I am pretty sure it is illegal in my state anyway.
(3) I found more YJ and TJ wave at me. JKs especially newer JK 2.0 owners hate JL, hohoho.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Where I live, there are a lot of soccer moms riding Wranglers. Not only they do not wave back, they look at me like I am a pervert that desperate for MILF. Other observations:
(1) people with weird mods (like angry bird grille) usually do not wave.
(2) people with 30%+ front windshield tint, seriously even if they wave I cannot see it, and I am pretty sure it is illegal in my state anyway.
(3) I found more YJ and TJ wave at me. JKs especially newer JK 2.0 owners hate JL, hohoho.
You say "pervert that's desperate for MILF" as if it's a bad thing.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
....(2) people with 30%+ front windshield tint, seriously even if they wave I cannot see it, and I am pretty sure it is illegal in my state anyway.....
Nah, they're not waving because they can see anything.
If dark windshield tint isn't illegal in every stat it should be. I've always laughed at the "I can see just fine" when they're supporting their illegal/dangerous tint at noon on a sunny summer day. Yeah, well what about a fall evening when it's cloudy, slightly rainy and everything is gray? Yeah, I be you can see just fine then. Woe is to the person who hurts or kills my family because they have illegal tint on their windshield.

Anyway, I digress. Sorry for the tangent, back on topic.

Craig, I can certainly understand how snobbish waving could seem if your area only waves at specific brands. Around here, a bike is a bike, and we all wave at each other. It doesn't matter if it metric, domestic, cruiser, sport, touring, or trike. If it's a bike you're part of our crowd. As for the Wrangler only waving at Wranglers. I think James pretty much nailed it. Waving is more of a comradery thing than a brand thing. It doesn't matter if it's stock, modded, new, old or somewhere in between. If it's a Wrangler you're part of our crowd.
Sponsored