Locker Options for Sport

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I ordered takeoff JLUR axles/lockers/4.10 gearing with brakes today! They had 3000 miles on them and hadnt been offroad. It was $3600 delivered to me and friend is installing for $500. I found a used auto parts place that offered $1500 for my d30/35 axles. Should be doing the swap on Sunday! Thinking of adding a 2.5 RC spacer lift to the rubi suspension to run 315/70/17 tires. Dont have money for a full suspension lift just yet and mainly want a little more height to add clearance for rocks. Is there cost effective underbody protection/armor you recommend to protect critical components?
Cool. How are you going to do the wiring to operate the electric motors for the lockers? Did you get the locker switches for the dash? And are you planning to have the dealership try and flash your Jeep to make it all work, or are you going to try a programmer? Sounds like a pretty big job, but if you ever get it to work it'll be cool. Post pics!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Cool. How are you going to do the wiring to operate the electric motors for the lockers? Did you get the locker switches for the dash? And are you planning to have the dealership try and flash your Jeep to make it all work, or are you going to try a programmer? Sounds like a pretty big job, but if you ever get it to work it'll be cool. Post pics!
After alot of research, I seem to be the guinea pig in taking on this project. I'm going to start a thread in the build section and document findings to help others. I'm going to run locker wiring separate and am leaning towards mounting the locker switch on the A pillar under the headlight knob. I'm also looking at a tazer lite and debating biting the bullet and going straight for full suspension lift. Need to find some 35's on craigslist.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
For the wiring, I’d order two of these. You’ll just need power and ground for them on a switch. I can’t remember if you have the aux switches or not but I’m sure you can come up with something. Maybe an s pod or something?

Brett

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/accessories/product/77072413/Wiring+Harness.html
Thanks...will research. Any recommendations on a easy to use manual sway bar disconnect for 2.5" spacer lift that works with the rubi takeoff suspension on a jlus? Looking at jks or rancho..

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
For the wiring, I’d order two of these. You’ll just need power and ground for them on a switch. I can’t remember if you have the aux switches or not but I’m sure you can come up with something. Maybe an s pod or something?

Brett

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/accessories/product/77072413/Wiring+Harness.html
Here is my jeep currently with takeoff rubi suspension/wheels/tires. I just sold my sahara steps and ordered roam framed mounted step/sliders. Do you think a 2.5" lift on 33's would look way too top heavy? I'd like to have a little more clearance for offroad and it's tough to justify ditching these tires with only 6k miles on them.
L7tPkt3.jpg

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is my jeep currently with takeoff rubi suspension/wheels/tires. I just sold my sahara steps and ordered roam framed mounted step/sliders. Do you think a 2.5" lift on 33's would look way too top heavy? I'd like to have a little more clearance for offroad and it's tough to justify ditching these tires with only 6k miles on them.
L7tPkt3.jpg
I think it would look fine with some more lift. You can manually disconnect your sway bar pretty quick with some tools or go with a company like you mentioned. I think the Rancho don’t require any permanent mods but I’m not 100% on those products

Brett

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I think it would look fine with some more lift. You can manually disconnect your sway bar pretty quick with some tools or go with a company like you mentioned. I think the Rancho don’t require any permanent mods but I’m not 100% on those products

Brett
Thanks...so the sport does come stock offering the ability to manually disconnect the sway bar? Are we talking less than 5 min to do this? That would obviously be cheaper if it's easy to do.

jawest12

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepinwv.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara

Brett

I have the Ranchos. They will require trimming a flag nut if you want to actually disconnect. Which is not in the instructions. No other permanent changes needed.

IMG_2922.jpeg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the Ranchos. They will require trimming a flag nut if you want to actually disconnect. Which is not in the instructions. No other permanent changes needed.

IMG_2922.jpeg
Great pic and info. I didn’t know that. However, that’s an easy mod but one that would bite ya if you didn’t know

Brett

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks...so the sport does come stock offering the ability to manually disconnect the sway bar? Are we talking less than 5 min to do this? That would obviously be cheaper if it's easy to do.
Wrench and Allen key would take them off. Could zip tie it out it the way. I’d say pretty quick. Look at it to see what I mean. Quick disconnects would obviously be the best for you but free99 works and would get you by for now

Brett

Sponsored

rwperez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport, 2015 Sahara Unlimited
@rwperez How's your experience been with wrangler's and lunchbox lockers?
Sorry, just now seeing this. I have Aussie Lockers on a TJ, front and rear, daily driver. I love the off road performance. On the street, I don't know the front locker is there because it is only engaged in 4x4. The rear locker is always on. I get some noise and an occasional loud pop on turns. Once in a while it will bump me to the right a little. Once or twice I have found myself changing lanes unintentionally. It isn't bad enough for me to undo, but I wouldn't put a rear auto-locker on a daily driver again. I am putting a TORQ Locker on the front of my JL Sport. I ordered it with the anti-spin differential because I wanted the M220 axle. I expect that combination to meet my needs.

JJexp

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Raptor, 68 Y body coupe.
Occupation
G650 driver
I ordered takeoff JLUR axles/lockers/4.10 gearing with brakes today! They had 3000 miles on them and hadnt been offroad. It was $3600 delivered to me and friend is installing for $500.
I don’t suppose you could share your source for the takeoff components. Did they only have one set, or are they the sort of place that deals in used take off parts?

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I don’t suppose you could share your source for the takeoff components. Did they only have one set, or are they the sort of place that deals in used take off parts?
They had 1 set of takeoffs