Diesel Requiring Dana 60?

JeepOn

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, RAM 3500, E350 Benz
Subscribed. Looking for more info on gearing and axles to support the diesel’s torque.... and to support turning bigger tires!
Well, you could always throw some eight lug Dana 60s under it and call it good. :like:
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
A good diesel engine makes it's peak torque below 2,000 RPM. Compare that to a gas engine which typically peaks at 3,000 to 4,500 RPM. HUGE difference. For that reason, axle ratios on diesels are usually numerically lower. This is true of full size trucks and Jeeps alike. I would expect the 3.45 ratio to be used in diesel applications. But, if they're using 3.73 in Europe then that's probably what we'll get here.

The D44 AdvanTek axle under the 2018 JL is 8% stronger than the old D44 in the JK, according to Dana published materials. I think it'll hold up to the EcoDiesel just fine. If you're bashing 35" tires on the rocks, then you need to upgrade your axles regardless of whether it's gas or diesel.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Chromoly CV axles now being available for the JL and claiming they are stronger than standard D60. Not sure about that claim but at least we have an option to beef up the M210/220 currently offered assuming bigger isn’t added on the diesel. I’m still hoping for Dana 60. 8 lugs out the door would be a welcomed addition. That would be the holy grail. :)

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I was waiting for diesel. But once I knew it is going to be a Fiat Motori, my mind was made up. I went and got the gasser, and have no regrets whatsoever. It runs great, gas milage is decent(for a Wrangler) and better than the JK. And have all the available parts and upgrades now. I said it before, diesel is better, but I hoped for a Cummins and it did not happen. And I drive it every day, just about. I'm enjoying it and who knows, maybe I'll get the Gladiator in a couple of years, God willing. If I don't like it, I'll go for a Ram Rebel...If my wife lets me (LOL)

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I was waiting for diesel. But once I knew it is going to be a Fiat Motori, my mind was made up. I went and got the gasser, and have no regrets whatsoever. It runs great, gas milage is decent(for a Wrangler) and better than the JK. And have all the available parts and upgrades now. I said it before, diesel is better, but I hoped for a Cummins and it did not happen. And I drive it every day, just about. I'm enjoying it and who knows, maybe I'll get the Gladiator in a couple of years, God willing. If I don't like it, I'll go for a Ram Rebel...If my wife lets me (LOL)
When those of us who end up owning/driving both get some miles under the 3.0, we’ll just tell you the 3.0 sucks so you can sleep better at night lol.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
What’s wrong with a Motori diesel?

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Perhaps nothing at all. There are a few items to consider. And this is purely speculative. Chinese are buying FCA. Fiat is not going to be sold here in the USA anymore. It is just rumor central...

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
When those of us who end up owning/driving both get some miles under the 3.0, we’ll just tell you the 3.0 sucks so you can sleep better at night lol.
LOL Yes indeed, my friend. I don't think it sucks. I think it is a great combination to the 8spd. GC and ED Rams are still doing good. I still would buy ED if the premium comes down some. To me, it's a matter of $$$

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
You know I thought the same way with Cummins until the Titan diesel came out with the 5.0l Cummins v8.

There is something really wrong when a smaller by 1.7l and lighter truck can't match the 2500 dodges for mileage.

That 5.0l seriously underwhelmed me so I can't imagine the v6 version developed at the same time would be even reasonably close to the 3.0l ecodiesel in performance and mileage.

If the updated version of the ecodiesel resolves the cam issue and the oil cooler issue which between the two of them were responsible for the majority of the failures in the 1500s it will make it a very slick engine indeed. Toss a gde tune on there to clean up the egr and you got one heck of a rig.

Sponsored

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Why can't these morons make the diesels like before? No DEF no nothing. These green goblins think they are going to save the world from collapse with their idiotic green ideas. One electric car battery will pollute more than a V-6 for ten years, for those batteries are really toxic and not biodegradable. Who are they kidding? India and China have no restrictions for the environment, so there. I am seriously considering buying a TJ and putting a Cummins re-power in it. Whatever it is, I think diesel is better and one day, I will have one awesome diesel jeep to go and enjoy this gorgeous country of ours...

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Sorry for resurrection.
I'm considering Dana 60s for my 21 eco. It's on 37s and 3.73. I'm having a hard time finding 60s with 4.10 gearing, is this not a good combo?

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 2017 WK2, 2018 JLU, 2022 JTOD
Sorry for resurrection.
I'm considering Dana 60s for my 21 eco. It's on 37s and 3.73. I'm having a hard time finding 60s with 4.10 gearing, is this not a good combo?
Out of curiosity, why the want/need for D60s? If you’re sticking with 37s I just don’t see the need for tons. Are you planning on 42s at some point?

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Out of curiosity, why the want/need for D60s? If you’re sticking with 37s I just don’t see the need for tons. Are you planning on 42s at some point?
It's possible I want to go to 40s, or 38 or 39.
Also I was told that certain 37x13.5x17 are really heavy and might need thicker axles.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 2017 WK2, 2018 JLU, 2022 JTOD
It's possible I want to go to 40s, or 38 or 39.
Also I was told that certain 37x13.5x17 are really heavy and might need thicker axles.
I see. Just asking because I’ve been wheeling hard on heavy 37s for 27k of the 31k total miles on my diesel, and no plans to change it.
Sponsored