RCV Axles: two piece and one piece versions

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I have not heard of them wearing out on the road.
Sponsored

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
been looking for a fad bypass but I’m gonna pass on rcv’s, great for trail rigs but don’t last on road.....whoooda thunk.
You have to keep them greased just like the birfields that came stock in my land cruiser. Every oil change you pump in some grease with a needle. Good to go.

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have not heard of them wearing out on the road.
You have to grease them with a grease gun. They work fine in road. Just ask all the land cruisers who came with them from factory and run forever

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Newby here...I'm curious why folks with a d30 front axle who want to add strength for 35" or 37" tires would spend $1200+ labor on this to beef up their front axle when this doesnt include lockers, brakes or gearing? Why not go to a d44 or super 44?
I'll go a step farther... why would folks drop $1,400 on a pair of axle shafts? Jesus Christ. I could convert a D60 to fit the JL for less money.

Sponsored

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'll go a step farther... why would folks drop $1,400 on a pair of axle shafts? Jesus Christ. I could convert a D60 to fit the JL for less money.
Really? If that’s true I could get rigs left and right to bring you their jeep for d60 swap. Everyone knows it’s not true but funny you would say that.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sign me up for a D60 for under 1400 as well =)

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Really? If that’s true I could get rigs left and right to bring you their jeep for d60 swap. Everyone knows it’s not true but funny you would say that.
Then "everybody" must not know what a salvage yard is. Or a fabrication shop.

I never said BUY new D60s. I said convert D60 to the JL.

In fact, I could probably do D60s front and rear for $1,400.

But if people want to go ahead and drop that money on axle shafts for a D30, go ahead. It's America.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
For example, a 30 second search shows lots of D60 axles with 4.10 gears at various locations starting at $350 bucks. If you spent more than 30 seconds digging around you could probably find them for less.

Sure, it would be slightly more work to cut the brackets off and weld new ones for JL control arms, but not much more work than swapping out axle shafts.

Y'all need to learn the art of getting more bang for the buck. ;)

Dana60s.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No doubt D60 are great and CAN be done inexpensively, but we can start a new thread about the merits of D44s vs D35s vs D60 and the ability to find them and do the fabrication work.

I’m interested in keeping the stock rubicon housing and switching to a cv joint. It is just as much about switching from ujoints to cvs as much as it is about increased strength. At least for me.

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
For example, a 30 second search shows lots of D60 axles with 4.10 gears at various locations starting at $350 bucks. If you spent more than 30 seconds digging around you could probably find them for less.

Sure, it would be slightly more work to cut the brackets off and weld new ones for JL control arms, but not much more work than swapping out axle shafts.

Y'all need to learn the art of getting more bang for the buck. ;)

Dana60s.jpg
You aren’t wrong but there’s something to be said in just buying rcv and having your rig running 3 hours later vs an entire front and rear axle swap along with drive shafts and everything else that comes with it. Hell, I didn’t even have to change the diff fluid. This is an easy upgrade and well worth the money and zero down time.

OP
OP

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do those D60s have CVs? Will all after market suspension mod work without additional fab work?