What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Tuffy sponsored. Lol
Butting in here. I just got the Diabolical installed today. I had the Tuffy installed on my JK. From what I can see it is pretty much the same product on the JL, although the JL version has a rod that props up the cover. I liked my Tuffy however I am loving this new Diabolical cover. Granted I’ve have had this only a few hours. I’ll give a more impressions when I’ve put it through the ringer but here are a few reasons why I chose the Diabolical over the Tuffy.
  • I like being able to fold over the cover part way. This allows you fold the lid back completely.
  • More storage vs the Tuffy. The tuffy closes off the sides which closes off what you can fit under the lid.
  • The pins they use make it a lot easier to pull the lid off and put back on.
  • I really like the being able to access it from the front. That door is very convenient.
  • I saw a post on QC. I haven’t experienced that at all. I’m thinking that was out of the norm. Mine was great.
  • Customer service: Alan from Diabolical was very responsive to emails. Mater fact he went out of his way on that side. I happen to live in Utah where they are located and he spent the last two hours helping me with the install. Not a normal thing but it was greatly appreciated.
  • While I was with him installing he was giving me a few details on what he has planed for the future products. I’m really excited to see what he has in the pipeline.
For what it’s worth I have no ties to Diabolical. I just did a lot of research and I am happy with the product so far. I’m more than happy to answer any questions.

C62E562B-99D0-4643-8B0F-1047366C5E08.jpeg

364DD314-626A-40AD-AC70-6507A8196050.jpeg

F4B4CE24-7C63-447F-A012-6C654895FE1E.jpeg

B77FFA13-C4FA-4429-8B97-5F8995A82283.jpeg

F6EBA79C-A623-45CF-B0DA-7A9875653A88.jpeg

2B84B0B3-4E78-4E81-B1DA-7601117658E0.jpeg

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Installed Inspired Engineering Halo LEDs and swapped my painted grille for the Mopar satin black one.

fullsizeoutput_270.jpeg

kPOpKMyOTymn+aaZddCNew.jpg

+iumiCOtSh+XCN9F1C+T6A.jpg

%O2OX68wTveoqPFVpQVezg.jpg

prWnBprrT9OPLEVLzB7sFg.jpg

ocraCjhlSq+jb62%hOxE9Q.jpg
It looks like you have some major gaps between the grille and light. That would drive me nuts. Are the lights smaller than stock or was the grille just not on all the way?
It just occured to me that the gaps around the 7" lights are actually a feature that prevents the build up of snow. Not only do the gaps provide a place for snow to go, but could also let heat from the front into the headlight bucket.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Tuffy sponsored. Lol
I am sure gave it to him. For me it was a no brainer the Slipstream is such a more feature which system and frankly look so much better and not just a box on the floor. My other concern was the Tuffy has a few rattle points especially on the lid, whereas the Slipstream is all gasketed...

Although the tuffy was $250 less.

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I
Butting in here. I just got the Diabolical installed today. I had the Tuffy installed on my JK. From what I can see it is pretty much the same product on the JL, although the JL version has a rod that props up the cover. I liked my Tuffy however I am loving this new Diabolical cover. Granted I’ve have had this only a few hours. I’ll give a more impressions when I’ve put it through the ringer but here are a few reasons why I chose the Diabolical over the Tuffy.
  • I like being able to fold over the cover part way. This allows you fold the lid back completely.
  • More storage vs the Tuffy. The tuffy closes off the sides which closes off what you can fit under the lid.
  • I really like the being able to access it from the front. That door is very convenient.
  • I saw a post on QC. I haven’t experienced that at all. I’m thinking that was out of the norm. Mine was great.
  • Customer service: Alan from Diabolical was very responsive to emails. Mater fact he went out of his way on that side. I happen to live in Utah where they are located and he spent the last two hours helping me with the install. Not a normal thing but it was greatly appreciated.
  • While I was with him installing he was giving me a few details on what he has planed for the future products. I’m really excited to see what he has in the pipeline.
For what it’s worth I have no ties to Diabolical. I just did a lot of research and I am happy with the product so far. I’m more than happy to answer any questions.

really wish they would make a product like this for the 2 dr with the rear seat removed.

Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I

really wish they would make a product like this for the 2 dr with the rear seat removed.
I wouldn’t doubt he already has plans for it. He’s doing one for the two door TJ with the rear seat removed right now.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

I do not know if the QC on mine was a 1 off but it was very dissapointing, the main issue I had was there were NO instruction for the JL anywhere which Alan did apologized for after the fact. While the installation is not too much different than the JK the installation with the Alpine Sub is very different, problematic and definitely required special instructions. Unfortunately now I have to dismantle the entire passenger side and try to reinstall, My big concern is it rubs up on the subwoofer and will likely damage the sub cover as there is no room for foam in between.

With that said I am with you it is a well thought out system and puts the Tuffy to shame and what I really like is it look finished with great aesthetics.

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum

Thanks Mark and LightsOut for the good info and pictures. Mark I’m glad to hear that you had the Tuffy in the JK and were able to compare the two. I do like the fact that the Slipstream goes all the way to the edges.

One question I had are the wingnuts on the top of the side panels where the hardtop bolts normally go. What prevents someone from unscrewing those and taking the little top covers on either side of the main top panel? Also does the top panel lock in place with the tailgate the way that the Tuffy does? I would imagine so.

I do really like the way the top of the Slipstream looks. Reminds me of my hard tonneau cover on my F-150.

Thanks again. This is why this forum is great.

Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Mark and LightsOut for the good info and pictures. Mark I’m glad to hear that you had the Tuffy in the JK and were able to compare the two. I do like the fact that the Slipstream goes all the way to the edges.

One question I had are the wingnuts on the top of the side panels where the hardtop bolts normally go. What prevents someone from unscrewing those and taking the little top covers on either side of the main top panel? Also does the top panel lock in place with the tailgate the way that the Tuffy does? I would imagine so.

I do really like the way the top of the Slipstream looks. Reminds me of my hard tonneau cover on my F-150.

Thanks again. This is why this forum is great.
Yeah a lot of people have that question. First I’m using the factory hard top bolts rather than the GPCA screws @lightsout used. So someone could come unscrew those if they really wanted to. However, Diabolical actually thought about that and they have a metal piece that goes under the lip in order to secure it so someone couldn’t come in and just unscrew the lid. He also uses carriage bolts to prevent this. The top panel does secure under the lip of the tailgate as well so once the Jeep is locked it is secure even when the top is off (when the top is off reaching around the door to try and hit unlock button won’t work. The power locks are disabled once it is locked). That being said someone could come, with a lot work, and pry it open if they really wanted but I’d imagine it would take some power tools and a few pry bars.

mnrafter

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mcneils.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Jeep JKU Rubicon, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
Occupation
Special Procedures Radiologic Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
I've never seen heated wiper blades before but they definitely seem useful. Well, not for me in Florida, but I get it.

Any reason you drilled a hole and inserted a rubber grommet to run the wires through instead of just popping out one of the honeycomb shaped vents right below it?
I drilled for two reasons: First, the wire is far more protected when using a grommet. Second, the honeycomb is covered by a screen material that prevents stuff from falling through the openings.

Last edited:

mnrafter

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mcneils.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Jeep JKU Rubicon, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
Occupation
Special Procedures Radiologic Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
If you wouldn't mid could you please post what you bought from Everblades, the exact part number.
Also you say it came with a pre-wired switch and you called them, can you tell me what they said and what you needed to do to wire them to AUX 3.
And last question, you say you programmed it for "Ignition", how did you do that, and does that mean as soon as the Jeep starts they start heating up, you can't turn them off? or can you press aux 3 and have them turn off

Thank you very much, I plan on ordering these just want to make sure its something I can do
When I called to place the order I told them the model of the Jeep. They sent the correct blades. So I do not have the exact part number.

I cut the black wire that leads to the switch. The other end of the black wire splits off into two, one for each blade.

You can program the switch setting in the settings app on your Uconnect. When set to ignition, the heated wipers will turn off when the engine is off, but will stay on if the ignition is on "ACC". They will not turn on automatically. You have to press the "AUX3" button to turn them on.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you!

They are Moto Metal MO970 - http://www.motometalwheels.com/wheel/14256/mo970 I got the 18x10 -24 Offset and 4.56 Backspacing

Tires are BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 35x12.5x18

Here is an up close pick of the rims and tires.

20181204_065410.jpg
Your wheels and tires look great, Tritonman. Would you be kind enough to give me your honest opinion of the ride provided by those E-rated beauties and what tire pressure you're running? I have young grandchildren and really, really don't want to subject them to a harsh ride, but as I'm sure you learned, finding good 18" tires that aren't E-rated is tough. Thanks!

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Not so much a "what I did TO my JL today" ... more like "FOR my JL today", this is far from some of the incredible mods that some of you are doing ... I just wanted an easy way to carry my Yeti, find the mouth opening in the dark and make something that I thought would look cool. Still a prototype as I have to work on the logo some ... now to build a black one with red thread to go with the interior ... once I build it, then I guess I can almost say it is "what I did TO my JL today"

Yet Holder Tan_Fotor.jpg
Nice! Two thumbs up!