What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
@JTopsUSA sunshade in the Titanium... fantastic accessory. Easy install, sturdy material without any cheap clip-ons, and the tie-down straps fit around my GPCA grab handles. I like that it darkens the interior a bit and I don't have to see the factory Styrofoam-looking top anymore. Now all I need is springtime.

jeep_036.jpg
jeep_037.jpg
jeep_038.jpg
I have the same one and love it except it seems like the sag in the front when the top is on gets worse by the day

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You know you could be absolutely wrong in the way you took his reply! It possible that he was so amazed at your hack that he wrote what he did!

Any way you put it I think you really came down pretty hard on a one sentence reply! You wrote a very long winded reply with a lot of useful info though, thanks for that!

I actually thought your hack was pretty ingenious and money saving!

Just need to learn to lighten up and take it easy and not get offended at what others might post!
Wait......did you just leave a long winded reply to say that he shouldn't have left a long winded reply lol.

Just having fun please don't respond with hostility

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Number of posts, nor likes, means anything.

You mean “it doesn't matter,” correct? If so, I agree and have said so, except to say that if I can be patient (as I should be, even when answering the same questions--as I am not forced to) then new people can be decent too, agreed?

I'm under 200 posts, but I know a HELL of a lot more about these Jeeps than many members with thousands of post.
Which, by the way, along with seniority or longevity, wealth, looks, and a host of other attributes equates to little here, myself included, right?

Because posting "Welcome to the forum," commenting that you like everyone's pics, or asking any and all questions that pop into your head means nothing (not saying you do that, but we all know many who do). Don't even get me started on some of the threads unrelated to Jeeps where people seem to talk forever like the forum is their only source of friends
Agreed. I'm here to ask questions, read about other people's findings, and try to help others in places I've skinned my knees, or was prevented from doing so by others I'm paying back. Friends and narcissist supply isn't my goal, not the goal of most, and when friendships serendipitously but not intentionally form: that's great.

My only point regarding the attributes you cite as meaningless, and to which I concur, is if I can be decent with mileage here, so can new (and old) posters.

Don't even get me started on some of the threads unrelated to Jeeps where people seem to talk forever like the forum is their only source of friends
I agree...but nobody forces us to be here, read, or comment. And then there's all the good stuff from being here. So we take the good with the bad.

I generally stay silent, chime in when necessary, and come here mostly to soak up all of the info many appear to miss out on.
And I generally chime in when I feel I can add value not already stated, give or get a laugh, and try to learn: similar, but not identical to you.

JamesKL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon w/ Sky One Touch Top
This weekend I put on @ROAM Rock Rails & a custom Gear Shade (Outside: gray, white, black digital camo; Inside: black & red digital camo). So yeah, I took my top off for the first time. :)

48403065_1767605290016381_3664826741056077824_o.jpg
Did you run the wiring for the led lights on the Roam steps? If so, how big of a deal was it?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I entirely agree. I said it initially, that we're all equals, in my not liking anyone being the brunt of snide remarks; something you seemed to miss when you initially and wrongly equated my remarks as "respect not being given by rookies." I then pointed those remarks of mine out to you, and you're back at it again. Please stop.

My only point in bringing up number of posts or "longevity" here was--as most of my posts try to help others--was that if I, with some good will here, can be decent, so can people who are new.

I'm glad to refer you to where a newbie in another post misspelled a word in a question, and people too interested in making jokes didn't answer him. I did, trying to make him/her feel welcome and suggested that jokes (which I do all the time) come after answer and debate.

Longevity, seniority?? If someone even hypothetically has those qualities and have been a douche during their tenure someplace then it's a detriment to their time, not a feather in their cap.

Even if seniority had any standing here, the dang JL is pushing a year old: we're all newbies. None of us come here with knowledge of the rig's long term track record as that's a story only time can publish.

Agreed..I do it all the time; most of us do. You just don't see it--by definition.;)

Sir: if longevity is a relative term, one doesn't survive here being overly sensitive: and I have longevity. It entitles me to nothing, except maybe an obligation to help others just as I was when new. And change people..? Even if it was doable, it's not time well spent.

.....but motivate people to behave better...that works.

I think you conflate workplace dynamics with moderated bboards, and FWIW, I've worn both collars. I do agree that workplace fights be entered into with much caution. But dozens of people who acted here the way you describe seem to no longer publish.
You’re to sensitive and what I would guess have sat at a desk to long. Thicken your skin, screw the hater and roll on. Id venture a guess and say you’re some kind of engineer. That’s not a jab, just an observation.

Brett

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Did you run the wiring for the led lights on the Roam steps? If so, how big of a deal was it?
No, I removed the LEDs before having the rail/steps Line-Xd, and opted not to put them back in. IMHO, they're more of a PIA initially (wiring) and in the long run (replacement). They go bad, it's inherent...and I don't consider them important. FWIW

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I've save the best for last today. To those who want to stay on builds I couldn't agree more and I'm sorry. See me when your the subject of scrutiny.

Well... forgive me for being glib.
You weren't.

Glibness is insincere often lengthy expression. Yours was genuine, clear from context and by your own admission, and to the point. Normally I'm not pedantic; for you I'll make an exception.

#1 - I honestly had zero intention of telling you how ridiculous I think it is.

You didn't have to. It was implied from your remarks and your build page. Others felt differently. More important, others who I suspect agreed with you, unlike you, kept to themselves: the important part.

You haven't hurt my "feelwings" (baby talk for feelings.) I'm here to motivate, with fact, better attitude on your part.

--Especially when there is a veritable plethora of affordable grab handles on the market.
This is a common theme. Your arrogance in needing to point out an obvious aftermarket (I happen to work in) dovetails with ignorance you could avoid by researching more and commenting less. But let me add color to that.

If you had read the initial post and looked at the pictures (but why--when you can be arrogant and ignorant) you'd have seen I have said market purchased handles. Many DIYers can afford (some can't), they just don't want to pay 3X what the same product will be a few years from now when more competition emerges.

And many owners differ on definitions of the word afford: some forgoing retirement savings for highly depreciable gear (I'm not saying you're one.) That's their right, but they're statistically not smart.

Still more, you missed the crux of it. The design was to mimic in functionality, if not appearance, what many consider the best handles in the business: the GPCA ones, which, like these, (the important part) they swing out of the way and don't hit the windows. (Conflict of interest, not brag: I consult for GPCA, along with other brands in the market space.)

So why post a hack I can afford if not get for free from GPCA??? to help others; not for me, not for the pat on the back (judging from your comments: as if.) Some of us save $ and hack the small things, even wildly commercially available, to help save for the stuff we can't home grow.

Rest assured I'm not jealous of your build (I see that coming.) Every accessory I want I can afford, barring two products, and only because they haven't come to market yet, and to which I've built workarounds. This probably speaks more to my limited needs than unlimited funds. In fact one of those products is the new LOD roof rack...more on this below.

#2 - Regarding your comments about my build... Anything you put on a Jeep will cost more than our first cars. My first car was a Pontiac Astre with a primer coat paint job for $600. That being said, $600 buys a lot of stuff at Harbor Freight.

….and again you missed context. The point of my noting the cost of your mods, which you're of course free to add with no judgment on my end, was said in the context of answering another person's remarks highlighting how you might have been complementing me and that I was judging too hastily. I knew that near impossible; you confirmed it.

Who cares how many posts I have or how long I've been on the forum. 'Macht nichts...'

Macht nichts: German for it doesn't matter; common speak in US Military circles to point out the irrelevancy of some things to a mission.

You're right about that one. Douchyness is nobody's right to claim here. Heck, if I can refrain with said tenure (which buys me nothing,) then certainly so can you: my point.

I think you think me deserving of special treatment. I'm far too humble. Instead, I think we all could use regard.

#4 - Your comment about me "obviously not being a DIY Hack kind of guy." You are absolutely correct.
My clearly stated point was for a guy that buys over creates (in and of itself perfectly fine,) you especially should refrain from being critical of other's creations. Do you think build 0.1 of the "horseless carriage" was something to brag about, or that of any of the vendors you'll be buying from?

Btw, there is a difference between a clever hack and a hack job.

Since you state the obvious I'm wondering if you're suggesting my work a hack job. If so, show us all how you'd do (not buy) better. Plenty things I buy because they're done safer and cheaper than I could. But nothing I make for my vehcile fits that description.

#5 - This is a public forum. Being as such, when you put yourself out there you need to be able to accept that not everybody is going to agree with your opinions.
There are times I come to the board looking for constructive criticism as sure as I accept it unsolicited. Most people that don't like things refrain, or aren't snide like you. Still more....really, you're giving me this speech about a forum you're new to, as if I don't realize this?

Keep in mind those comments about putting yourself out there.

As I mentioned before, I had no intentions of publicly lambasting your beloved hacks but since you're making it such a big deal out of it...

….My hacks aren't beloved: helping people is. Wise guys like you, quick to publish more than research come and go here all the time. The people who help publish and remain.

*** Remember... You wanted this. ***

I'm laughing. Rather than use your own words you dig up a fictional Jack Reacher clip where a bunch of inept goons take on a good guy? Who am I, who are you here? Read on before replying.

I guess you didn't see my thread a while back about how while so many decent people here go just by handles, and not their name, it's indicative of all the board's douches.

#6 - Your homemade roof rack is comical. It's downright awful and one of the silliest things I've ever seen. But who cares what I think, right?
Wrong, I care, but only because it gives me an opportunity to show, yet again, how your arrogance is only surpassed by your ignorance. If you took the time to research you'd know the rack was built because I needed to haul things on my JL before any rack was commercially available for the new rig. Answer this one. What do you do if you need functionality that hasn't been created yet but make it yourself?

You pride yourself on all the 'hacks' you've posted on the forum. Well, you nailed it with this:
Actually the finished product is here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/

And thanks. Why don't you see if you can build better?

That roof rack is the crème de le crème of hack jobs.
Wait...I've seen this before. Was it in some movie? "The new guy acts tough, gets called out, then acts tough again, really gets called out, and then hopefully stops."

And now for the answer.

Again, I'm waiting on the LOD one, (made clear in other posts) and have used this successfully many times now because I needed a rack before any were available. It was built, as much as a project that others can do, and it's as or more sturdy than many of the now commercially available ones, and involves no drilling. You've never used it to comment, and your pictures below refer to the BUILD process, not the FINAL product, and misunderstand clearly spelt out purpose that you likely see as hack. So you'll pardon me if I don't lose sleep.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/#post-253825
I won't. And as clearly stated prior, I buy plenty for my rig, especially when its commercially available, and have no problems with people who do as well, except the trolls who criticize more than post creative solutions, and especially the ones I make to solve problems the marketplace hasn't addressed when I created them.

But you know what? In informercial parlance, "there's more." There's the proof of concept build of the sliding rack on garage track. Let's include that too for you to critique. Especially, like many of the pictures you sight below, because it was of an uncompleted work.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/page-644#post-455828

Just bear in mind that the people from LOD Offfroad who designed the original upon which its loosely based, and whose rack I'm waiting on, liked it, at least for a DIYer.

As for me? I'm just going to order a professional, quality made product that won't fall apart the first time I load something on it and drive away at anything faster than neighborhood speeds.

Well none of my so called hack jobs could fall apart at any speed a JL could be driven.

Let's run through your so called evidence.

IMG_2513.jpg

Okay, what about this first picture don't you like? That Steel-Tek didn't market black powder coated pipe when I made this (like now) and that I chose bedliner paint rather than spray paint which would fall off, or that my local powder coater would not do more than 5' segments. Or maybe its the eyelets connected to an angle bracket that allows rack cross members to tuck away to the sides so when not needed I can open the soft top? Thanks. I liked that feature. Maybe I should have used black shellac non-galvanized gas line pipe that would have rusted.

IMG_2379.jpg

Wow. That does look very basic. And I'm not even joking. The problem is that you got a picture from how the ultimate product came to be that this picture is NOT a reflection of? Apologies for not getting it perfect on initial design like you and professionals (NOT) do. Your critiquing the history of the build here, not the final build itself.

IMG_2514.jpg

Oh wait, thanks for this one, really. I'll bet you see this as crap work.. the guy couldn't even use one seamless piece of pipe. You see, in actuality, the coupler, as described, serves dual purpose. In this cross member it can be easily loosened, attached to one side of pipe, and the cross members, when not needed for barring the weight of objects on the carrier can be secured to the sides so the soft top can open, you know, with my automatic soft top opener that you didn't critique.

And those empty “T” connectors in front, they're for adding additional cross members as needed, also on couplers to facilitate their installation/deinstalation, even if they don't fold back.

Tell you what. Buy a Gobi. It's great product. Let's see who can open their empty rack, open the Soft Top, and put things back faster.

IMG_2380.jpg

Build process, not final product. Clearly stated as such.

IMG_2461.jpg

Hay now this is almost an accurate representation of the final product. Thanks. I did move the cross member at tailgate height to the top. It's there not for structural integrity but to make the rack silent.

IMG_2363.jpg

Wow, you included a build process picture again trying to represent the final product. The vertical member needed shortening, to be capped, and the flanges attached to the hinges, shown so the user would understand concept. Did you notice in the final build how those flanges were cut down?

IMG_2758.jpg

Ah, that which got it all started. The fold out of the way handle, next to a MOPAR handle, clearly showing just proof of concept. It doesn't hit the windows like my professional MOPAR handles next to it. And that wire....dual dash cam...positioned that way to facilitate top changes and isn't visible when the door is closed.

I have issue with those who take their doors off. I'm not one of them. Nobody's going to see the wire, except maybe you.

You are arrogant and don't bother to do your research before you judge. Stop it.

Hey, good news. I'm almost done with the hitch based hard top remover. Compare it to how great the Top Lift Pro is (which it is), especially when it comes to (NOT) portability. With your talk of overland adventures I wouldn't be surprised if you critique it publicly, and copy it privately.

Now remember, you quoted the Gumpster… That's all you had to say.

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Added more Raider Rack minis this weekend to fill out all 7 vertical slots. The company sent me a prototype bottle opener along with some strap adapters for two molle bags.

Is there a 7-step program for this?

20181216_160901.jpg

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Added more Raider Rack minis this weekend to fill out all 7 vertical slots. The company sent me a prototype bottle opener along with some strap adapters for two molle bags.

Is there a 7-step program for this?

20181216_160901.jpg
Yes there is.
Step 1: send me all your cool shyte! ;)

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Nah you can keep that. But that is a really nice set up! I'll have to check into this. Do you have any links by chance? Much appreciated.
Ha! Thanks. I wanted the Mopar horizontal rack, but those aren't available yet. I ran across Raider Rack on Instagram, they've got better ones (IMHO) plus those snap-in minis that run vertically and excellently engineered accessories. They're here: https://www.raiderrack.com