Not open for further replies.

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
When the IFS bronco debuts Ford is going to say their market research showed people did not want a straight axle. Meanwhile Jeep sales continue to break records and grow year on year, all because of the straight axle.
All because of the straight axle? I think you give the typical Wrangler buyer too much credit. I'd bet the average Joe couldn't tell you what a straight axle is, or why they want it, let alone would they base a buying decision on it. Judging by your username you're quite the fan, which is fine, but the adoration isn't universal.

FWIW - with the steering issues being reported on the Wrangler, it wouldn't surprise me if an IFS was touted as a benefit. In my case, I'm waiting to see the Bronco before I buy and a solid front axle is not on my list of things it has to have. That said most of the renderings I've seen aren't instilling great hope that I'll like it.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
A Jeep was never even on my radar up to this last summer. The rumors of a Bronco have been swirling for at least ten years and have always planned on at least giving it serious consideration when it came out. So when things became more serious a few years ago, I was planning on running the wheels off my eight year old Escape and rolling into the dealer on fumes to trade in on a new Bronco in 2020. Been a Ford guy most of my life, my Dad worked for Ford and frankly, I just like how they looked and feel when your in them.

That was the plan. But around July my daughter was looking for a new vehicle and was shopping all the cookie cutter mini SUV's out there (yawn). She was not impressed and was not excited about any of them. We were out shopping one day and had exhausted all the dealers in the area. I said "hey lets go try out a Jeep just for fun". I had never even seriously though getting a Wrangler because of the general public opinion - they get bad gas mileage, they have electrical problems, they have death wobble, etc. I hadn't been in one since a CJ in the 80's so had no first hand experience.

So she test drove a used 2dr Sahara and her whole face lit up, she loved it. Long story short after shopping some more she ended up with a great deal on a '15 Oscar Mike edition 2dr with 25K miles on it. Drives it every day and still loves it.

So after test driving other Wranglers with her, I started to like them a lot more. Then I thought maybe I'll trade now while my Escape still runs and can get decent money for it (ws also considering a new Mustang, but that's another story). So I traded for a '16 2dr Wrangler sport thinking hey, it will hold me over till the new Bronco comes out. Wranglers hold their value so I might not get hurt too bad when I want to trade for the new Bronco IF it turns out like I want. So very long story short, I loved the Jeep, but there were issues with this particular vehicle and didn't think I could live with it driving 50 miles round trip everyday. So started shopping for a JL and found a great deal on a 2dr with exactly what I wanted and nothing I didn't want. I've had trucks most of my life up until the last fifteen years or so and liked the idea of getting back into a 4x4. The Wrangler gives me that feeling of my old lifted K5 Blazer from high school for back in the 80's, with out the 10 MPG.

So why did I write this book of a post? I guess it's to say the Bronco isn't out of the question, but I think I'll be perfectly happy to keep what I've got if the Bronco doesn't turn out to be my dream 4x4.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass

Sponsored

Jeeper18426572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler 2 Door Tank Green
-Solid axles
-Body on frame
-V8
-Manual
-Removable top
-2 doors
-Boxy shape
-Full size spare on back
-Around 35k

You know what... maybe an older Bronco is better for me after all

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
What do you love about your F150?
Everything. Comfort, motor, ride quality, just everything. I finally found out why they are the best selling. If they do half the job on the new bronco it will be something special. But no straight front axle and they just wont be taken seriously and I keep my jeep for sure.

notsure

First Name
notsure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
definitely going to take a look,
i dont mind IFS, would prefer full time 4-wheel drive, maybe all wheel dive, but that wont happen

most important would be quality and consistency commensurate with the price

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Independent front suspension hence no death wobble problems!
Why are you saying the same thing in multiple Bronco threads? Maybe they’ll have another issue to replace that one. Wait a year or more before you run out and get one.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Hence poor articulation for rock crawling... fail.
Not only that but IFS is a lot harder or more costly to upgrade to beefier steering components. IFS is WEAK in most common applications.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Not only that but IFS is a lot harder or more costly to upgrade to beefier steering components. IFS is WEAK in most common applications.
Not to mention all of the options out there for SFA vs. IFS.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I think there has to be a need for me to get one. I’ve had 32 cars grace my garage, with 4 being Wranglers. However, no matter how much my love, my wife has never owned one. We need a counter punch for gas mileage and true drive comfort. However, she doesn’t like 4 door cars. So things like a Rav or CRV made sense to her. So if the Bronco is less JL, but more than a Rav- there might be some discussion there.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.