Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Exactly! I'm going to test drive one for sure. But I have a sinking feeling that the base model will be around $45-$48k :(
I’ve heard different rumors. One was a loaded Rubi (all boxes checked) would be $68k. Also heard just add $3,500 to the equivalent JLU.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It looks lopsided to me. They should've located the rear axle further back in relation to the back bumper. I realize that would further limit its breakover angle, but it would improve its straight line stability while towing at speed.

I can't find it again, but another member posted some photoshopped pics of 3 increasingly shorter versions of the JT. They looked awesome!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Something about it just doesn’t sit right with me, I think it’s the length of it. I don’t know, anyone out there not a fan? And why not?
It's a pickup truck. You can't build a pickup truck without a cargo box on the back, and you can't put a cargo box on a vehicle with the wheelbase of a Wrangler. They had no choice but to stretch it out.

Maybe, are they making a two door?
No, there will be no two door. You could sell a bag of ice to an Eskimo easier than you could sell a mid size two door pickup truck in the U.S. in 2019. People want space and capability. It took us 20 years of begging and pleading to get Jeep to bring back the pickup because they couldn't "build a business case for it". So we're lucky we got the Gladiator at all, and there's no way they're going to build a configuration that is guaranteed to not sell.

Personally I think it's the perfect vehicle. 1,600 lbs. of payload. Almost 4 tons of towing. D44s front and rear standard. 3.73 gears standard. Lockable interior storage. Factory 33" mud tires. And despite all that....it will still accept a LOT of JL accessories from the cab forward like Sunrider tops, wheels, doors, bumpers, lights, etc. The Gladiator is genius.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Anyone else out there not sure about the gladiator. When I’m looking at it I can’t help but to think of those vehicles at the all inclusive resorts that haul rich people from hotel to hotel, or pick you up at your car and drive you to check in. Something about it just doesn’t sit right with me, I think it’s the length of it. I don’t know, anyone out there not a fan? And why not?
Its because theres literally no real new engeneering involved with it. The 83 CJ scrambler is wayy cooler and more interesting. The Glad is way over anticipated and overated for literally a JLU with a bed slapped on it. If you want a JLU with a bed then get one... but honestly idk if you guys remember the year AM general (under the comman d of GM) made the H3T , yea thats what it reminds me of/ looks like. Atleast they had the sense to pop a 5.3 vortec in there (unlike jeep).

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I appreciate the appearance and better maneuverability of the JK8, although-

It wouldn't have near the TOWING limits and social appeal of the GLADIATOR-and-

Unless you do/did it your self--the cost would be pretty high also--

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Its because theres literally no real new engeneering involved with it. The 83 CJ scrambler is wayy cooler and more interesting. The Glad is way over anticipated and overated for literally a JLU with a bed slapped on it. If you want a JLU with a bed then get one... but honestly idk if you guys remember the year AM general (under the comman d of GM) made the H3T , yea thats what it reminds me of/ looks like. Atleast they had the sense to pop a 5.3 vortec in there (unlike jeep).
But we have known that is what it was going to be for a very long time.

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly, I forgot about the H3Ts

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
What would be horrible is anyone who would buy a Gladiator and never take off the doors or top. I’m surprised how often this happens with Wranglers. If you’re not going to take off the doors or top, what is the point. You can buy much better SUVs for cheaper and this most certainly reigns true for pickups. I think potential Gladiator owners have to sign a waiver that states they have to at least lower their top.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
You would have to be a "truck person" to begin with. And then compare the Gladiator with other trucks.

Among other things: Length, width, cargo capacity, fuel consumption, looks etc etc.

For me the JLU is too long and I am considering a 2 door when the time comes.

quicksilvergoat

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT 392
The Gladiator has made me put my purchasing decision of a Wrangler on hold. Not because I want one, but I like the color options better. I would love to have a dark green like Gator.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Did you say Scrambler?

014A1916-C21D-4DEB-A3B1-1B5AA4DFDD5A.jpeg

Jeep It

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Firecracker Red
It's not the length overall that bothers me, it's the overhang. It's enough of a change in the breakover going from a JL to a JLU, but the JLU still remains a good crawler. You lose so much departure angle on the Gladiator that it makes it just another pickup truck. A pickup with a removable top (and dual top option), but still just a pickup truck. It will be capable off road, but that makes it more just like any other offering.

The JL is unique in the market due to it's incredible off road performance, the Gladiator won't be.

Wouldn't stop me from buying one if I wanted a pickup, but changes the purpose.
Overall I like the Gladiator, but the rear overhang gets to me too. Sounds like I’m talking about an ex-girlfriend.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You would have to be a "truck person" to begin with. And then compare the Gladiator with other trucks.

Among other things: Length, width, cargo capacity, fuel consumption, looks etc etc.

For me the JLU is too long and I am considering a 2 door when the time comes.
If a JLU is too long than you are not the target for the Gladiator.

Also you don't just compare the Gladiator to other trucks, but the off-road version of other trucks. So TRD Pro, ZR2, Ranger Raptor (if you are in Europe).

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That would be a valid point, if any of it were true.

The Gladiator has a totally different frame, 30" more length, 19" more wheelbase, a totally different rear suspension design, a totally different rear hitch design, wheels with higher load capacity, totally different rear brakes, etc. etc. They re-engineered the entire back half of the vehicle. I realize there are varying opinions on the look of the truck, but to say that "theres literally no real new engineering" in it is dead wrong, and to say that it's a JLU with a bed slapped on it is also dead wrong.

Sorry, I have to disagree about small trucks, this country is full of them, you see them everywhere, I don’t think it was a bad Idea to bring back the truck, but they should have had a little more imagination when designing it, not take a jlu and slap a bed on it, that’s not genius, that’s lazy. Just saying.
Again, it's not a JLU with a bed slapped on it. And, a 2 door pickup will not sell. Do you think Ford, GM, Nissan, FCA, etc. don't do extensive market research on this before investing billions on a vehicle? If any meaningful number of 2 door midsize trucks would sell, they'd all offer them.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
That would be a valid point, if any of it were true.

The Gladiator has a totally different frame, 30" more length, 19" more wheelbase, a totally different rear suspension design, a totally different rear hitch design, wheels with higher load capacity, totally different rear brakes, etc. etc. They re-engineered the entire back half of the vehicle. I realize there are varying opinions on the look of the truck, but to say that "theres literally no real new engineering" in it is dead wrong, and to say that it's a JLU with a bed slapped on it is also dead wrong.

Again, it's not a JLU with a bed slapped on it. And, a 2 door pickup will not sell. Do you think Ford, GM, Nissan, FCA, etc. don't do extensive market research on this before investing billions on a vehicle? If any meaningful number of 2 door midsize trucks would sell, they'd all offer them.
Operative word being “rear half” . Yea they tacked on some length. How different is the rear suspension design? What I said was true.
Sponsored