Fuel tank reading error?

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Just happened to me today, and it was after parking on somewhat of a hill. My rear driveway behind my garage is steep and I parked it there. My 103 miles til empty went to 10 instantly after pulling away. Definitely disconcerting and it's obviously not normal.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Kevman
Why would this be "disconcerting and it's obviously not normal".

Seems to be the nature of the beast so to speak,as in normal for a JL As long as you know that the JL in regard to the fuel gauge, behaves this way ...and you stated you were parked on a steep incline..... and again, you know the JL behaves as it does...... just take it in stride.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
@Kevman
Why would this be "disconcerting and it's obviously not normal".

Seems to be the nature of the beast so to speak,as in normal for a JL As long as you know that the JL in regard to the fuel gauge, behaves this way ...and you stated you were parked on a steep incline..... and again, you know the JL behaves as it does...... just take it in stride.
Because mine didn't return back to normal until I fueled up. Fuel gauges shouldn't go wack because of a slight incline.

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought sport JL, with analog gauges well at least they appear to be analog. Anyway dealer filled the tank normal, drove it 5 days and the gauge read i had a 1/4 of a tank. Now the tank hold 21.5 gallons according to the sticker, when i filled the tank it only took 12 gallons, the math isn't adding up here.

MeepMeepJeep

First Name
Julia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2015 Wrangler
I filled up, and my gauge read exactly what the earlier poster's did, just above 3/4 of a tank. I'm so confused. I'm not on a hill. Drove from gas station to house, 2-3 miles, still reads 3/4 tank. It is FULL. Something's funky with the software or..??

Sponsored

VictorChampion

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I've not had any read out problems but did notice how skinny the fill tube is while I had my left tail light off. The inlet past the intake is extremely skinny and the ventilation is extremely poor when fueling causing it to presumably fill quickly when in reality is backed up in the tube. I like to top mine off as much as I can but even standing there for 10 minutes trying to top off until completely full it only takes about a tablespoon amount of fuel at a time. It would be nice if the fill tube to the tank was about 50% larger to allow for some ventilation during fill ups and not back up into the tube during fueling.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Hi there!

So I had a half tank of gas in my new JLU. I parked on a hill probably 40 degree incline. I let it set for 5 minutes, then started up. Once I started up, it said that my gas tank was empty? I am assuming this was because of the hill. My jeep was facing DOWNHILL. I wonder if the fuel sensor is on the rear of the tank?

I pulled back on level lot, and turned car off and on again and went back to saying i had my original half tank.

My question is 2 things.

1. Has anyone else seen this on their new JL?

2. I thought this type of thing was fixed a LONG time ago on the readings of fuel tanks.
Mine does this too. Slow doesn’t have the be that steep either 6% is enough. It’s spooky when off the grid.
Sponsored