Report: Towing Near Max Rating.

avnmech

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Hi all! I upgraded travel trailers to one that loaded is near 3500lbs and 350lb hitch weight.

I'd like to report that I've pulled it about 60 miles so far through flats and hills. The jeep does better than expected. Maintains 60mph in hills without revving/down shifting too far.
Acceleration is not bad at all either. I know it's back there but it's not stressful.

I got a load distribution hitch which greatly reduces squat due to the load. (Pics to prove it!)

I'll be towing this rig 900 miles to Tennessee tomorrow. I'm guessing fuel stops will be every 3 hours or so as not to push it. Wish I could add capacity.

20180712_182945.jpg
20180712_183012.jpg
20180712_182953.jpg
Are you getting any warning lights with your brake controller?
Sponsored

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Local Government Official
I tow two 850lb SeaDoos with my Sport S. Total weight with the trailer is a little over 1800lbs loaded. Tongue weight is just under 200lbs. It has plenty of power to get on the highway and pull up hills/boat ramps. The back end feels planted and doesn't bounce around too much. I think mine might be a bit better with a lower drop on the hitch, but I'm very happy so far. The only small complaint I have is that I'm on the boarder of needed to add trailer breaks. Technically I don't need them at this weight, but stopping really fast is not great with the AT tires (emergency situations).

DjOReAmXoAEnFs9.jpg

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Are you getting any warning lights with your brake controller?
Only if I pinch the lever that engages the brakes. Even then it goes away the a key cycle.

OP
OP
Skye

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Just wondered what your auto transmission temperature has been like?
I should have had it displayed to check that. Next time a tow it I will keep an eye on it.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Any updates on towing the Falcon? Also, according to their website, they say the Aura's are a newer version of their line. Did you check those out, and if you did, what was your decision to go with the Falcon?

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I gotta hide this thread. I told my wife the best we could tow is a pop up.

Im assuming the trailer has electric brakes? Do you have a hydraulic sway dampener? The dampener is a good idea since the wrangler is essentially a short wheelbase truck.

Hint from my trailer days; when you get to your destination, drop the weight distribution springs before you back it in. Makes it much easier to back into a spot.

Good luck!

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Hint from my trailer days; when you get to your destination, drop the weight distribution springs before you back it in. Makes it much easier to back into a spot.

Good luck!
Why is that? Can you elaborate? Never used weight distribution springs but thinking about getting them.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I gotta hide this thread. I told my wife the best we could tow is a pop up.

Im assuming the trailer has electric brakes? Do you have a hydraulic sway dampener? The dampener is a good idea since the wrangler is essentially a short wheelbase truck.

Good luck!
Yes, it has electric brakes. Specs at: https://travelliterv.com/falcon-specifications/ I'm leaning towards this Falcon because it has a lighter hitch weight (the GeoPro is slightly above the JLU hitch weight rating) and it has dual axels (the GeoPro is single axel).

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Why is that? Can you elaborate? Never used weight distribution springs but thinking about getting them.
I must have read it somewhere when I had a trailer. When you back up, you’ll hear a godawefull cranking and banging from the hitch. Especially when you try to make sharp turns. Once you’re at your destination, just disconnect the springs and it makes maneuvering much easier. WD hitches are great for towing. Definitely a must have.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What about not adding water until you arrive at the camp site? Then dumping it before moving it again. And put anything of weight (after putting 75lbs in first it like lawn chairs, blankets, etc.) in the Jeep, then move it over to the camper after parking it at the camp site?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, pointing things out others may not of thought of is very much appreciated. I'm thinking of buying this exact model because of the dual axles (for more stability). I'm in brainstorming mode, not being defensive, so I appreciate the sounding board opportunity. :) In my particular case, there wouldn't be 4 people in the Jeep, so could but just the heavy stuff in the back of the Jeep and put the light weight stuff (dishes, coats, lawn chairs, etc.) in the camper to keep it at the proper weight. The Geo Pro's hitch weight is way higher and even the Tab/Tag campers hitch weight is too much, so the Falcon campers are one of the only ones. Falcon has a lighter weight but it is single axle. I'm not worried about overloading the JL, but I'd rather have piece of mind incase of an accident. The exact same JL in Europe can tow 5,500lbs, so I know it can tow this with ease. The original poster said no problem and there is another thread of someone towing a larger airstream that is over 4,500lbs. I wonder if the 5 extra pounds on the hitch weight (355lbs for the Falcon 23B and 350lbs for the JL) would trigger an insurance denial. 5lbs isn't much, but it is heavier than the spec. Thoughts?

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Rated tow weight and max tongue weight are not the whole story. You need to know the maximum combined weight your vehicle is rated for. This include the dry weight of your Jeep, all fluids, passengers and gear plus the same for your camper. sams has a good webpage on the subject.

I towed several campers with my Tundra that all ere bear tilts towing limits. It towed them, but I was never fully comfortable while doing it. And don’t forget brakes and a brake controller. And Jeeps are very short wheelbase trucks, think about weight distribution hitches and hydraulic anti sway controllers.

Sams link:
https://rv.campingworld.com/towguide
Sponsored