EVO MFG | NITTO | ARB | KING JL Wrangler Build [SEMA 2018 - JLWF Coverage]

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
The front bumper and rocker guards are bitchin, but the worlds shortest stubby rear leaves those rear corners extremely vulnerable.

Ronin77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’d really like to take a look at that tire carrier.

coneklr

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
RTT on a rain tray roof rack? I really like the EVO roof rack but with a weight capacity of 154lb on the rack itself and it being mounted to the rails, can it really support that RTT?

Sponsored

coneklr

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Side note, just looked up the weight of that ARB tent on there and its right at the 154lbs that the rack is rated for. So does that mean the trays can support that weight plus people inside?

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I also wonder about that roof rack system. It looks like such an inventive idea, but I have to wonder if it will break the hard top. Maybe there are supports in the middle that mount into the sport bar directly through brackets between the front sunroofs and the main piece.. ??

That front bumper is dope!

coneklr

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I also wonder about that roof rack system. It looks like such an inventive idea, but I have to wonder if it will break the hard top. Maybe there are supports in the middle that mount into the sport bar directly through brackets between the front sunroofs and the main piece.. ??

That front bumper is dope!
They responded to my email on the RTT on the rack and stated that it is currently in testing. it does distribute the load across the rails so might take more weight.

HotKarlTheJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It doesn't make sense... a rack that can hold only 154lbs for $850??? I have no desire to get a RTT and was hoping there would be some lighter weight racks that weren't as expensive but could carry things like pelican cases and rotopax better than the the standard cross bars from Mopar and the like in that $3-400 range.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
It’s not a bumper. It’s a bumper delete fascia. They make one for the JK too. Provides the best departure angle but you lose some level of protection. I think the Motobilt rear bumper does the best job so far in terms of departure and protection.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
It doesn't make sense... a rack that can hold only 154lbs for $850??? I have no desire to get a RTT and was hoping there would be some lighter weight racks that weren't as expensive but could carry things like pelican cases and rotopax better than the the standard cross bars from Mopar and the like in that $3-400 range.
I agree. I wanted to buy a roof rack only to support a Hi Lift and Awning. This seemed perfect until i saw the price. At that price I might as well buy the Rhino Roof Rack system which really CAN hold a RTT with people.

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Photographer
They responded to my email on the RTT on the rack and stated that it is currently in testing. it does distribute the load across the rails so might take more weight.
@coneklr, did they respond to you any further? I have the rack mounted on mine and have been wondering what to do for a RTT. I've been in debate on side awnings as well, but would prefer a tent.
I sent them an email as well:
Hello,
I've recently installed your trail roof rack (model # EVO-3038B) on my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL and I'm wondering about its carrying capabilities. I know it's only rated at 154lbs, but I see photos of your grey JL labeled "off road evolution" at a convention with the rack painted red and a roof top tent. That tent, along with 1-2 people inside, has to be way over the load limit. Have you tested it to be able to hold more than the advertised limit or do you recommend anything in between the roof and rack? Me and many more are intrigued with a RTT!

Last edited:

furrandchalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
@coneklr, did they respond to you any further? I have the rack mounted on mine and have been wondering what to do for a RTT. I've been in debate on side awnings as well, but would prefer a tent.
I sent them an email as well:
Hello,
I've recently installed your trail roof rack (model # EVO-3038B) on my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL and I'm wondering about its carrying capabilities. I know it's only rated at 154lbs, but I see photos of your grey JL labeled "off road evolution" at a convention with the rack painted red and a roof top tent. That tent, along with 1-2 people inside, has to be way over the load limit. Have you tested it to be able to hold more than the advertised limit or do you recommend anything in between the roof and rack? Me and many more are intrigued with a RTT!
I have no experience with RTTs or gutter mounted roof racks, but I’ve read up on racks a bit. There’s a difference between dynamic and static loads. Typically, a rack will list the dynamic weight rating - the weight it can carry while in motion - which is always lower. For example, the Gobi has a 300 lbs dynamic and 800 lbs static rating. To determine if this rack will work, you’ll need to know the weight of the RTT and its occupants, and preferably the static rating of the rack.

I’d imagine their answer varies with the size of the tent. If you’re looking to buy something small, like the Tepui Ayer 2 (only 95 lbs), it should be fine because there would be at most 1 or 2 people in the tent. On the other hand, if you’re looking at much larger tents like the ruggedized Autana 4 and intend to put an entire family up there, you’re more likely to have some problems.

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Photographer
I have no experience with RTTs or gutter mounted roof racks, but I’ve read up on racks a bit. There’s a difference between dynamic and static loads. Typically, a rack will list the dynamic weight rating - the weight it can carry while in motion - which is always lower. For example, the Gobi has a 300 lbs dynamic and 800 lbs static rating. To determine if this rack will work, you’ll need to know the weight of the RTT and its occupants, and preferably the static rating of the rack.

I’d imagine their answer varies with the size of the tent. If you’re looking to buy something small, like the Tepui Ayer 2 (only 95 lbs), it should be fine because there would be at most 1 or 2 people in the tent. On the other hand, if you’re looking at much larger tents like the ruggedized Autana 4 and intend to put an entire family up there, you’re more likely to have some problems.
I know a good bit about dynamic and static rope.. but why I never took that into consideration for racks, idk lol. Thanks for making me think even more now!
I'd only be getting a small RTT for myself, so the smaller the better. I've also thought about small blocks of foam in between the roof and rack as well. Though the rack is still mounted to the gutters, it would help elevate the stress some.

furrandchalk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I know a good bit about dynamic and static rope.. but why I never took that into consideration for racks, idk lol. Thanks for making me think even more now!
I'd only be getting a small RTT for myself, so the smaller the better. I've also thought about small blocks of foam in between the roof and rack as well. Though the rack is still mounted to the gutters, it would help elevate the stress some.
Climber? That’s one of the reasons we ordered a Wrangler. We were stranded after an easy but long approach into a canyon, and decided we were getting a Jeep. Granted we were off-road in a Corolla... so a Wrangler was a bit overkill. But we love it, and our dog is definitely enjoying it more than the tiny sedan.

I was thinking the same thing. Most of the tents I’ve seen are massive. We’ve always used small footprint, light tents, even when camping with our dog. Including my dog, wife and a 100 lb tent, we’d only be at about 450 lbs, so that rack should be fine for us. But if/when we get a rack, we’ll likely get a Gobi or similar so that we can run it with the soft top. The fun part would be figuring out how to get a massive dog into a RTT...
Sponsored