Sponsored

What are your estimated take rates for the coming 3-liter diesel?

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I don't care about the fuel economy - I just want the torque. And with the tuner options likely to be available, I look forward to the tuning possibilities.

I already have a 2006 Ram with a 5.9 CTD, so I don't need the Jeep for towing (keeping the truck).

Waiting patiently.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Under 5%

When I bought my 2016 ram ED i believe the markup for the engine was $3500-3750, right now the markup is $4,500
It costs more to maintain, it will take years to justify the engine up charge vs savings at the pump, and after those years you have DPF and DEF systems to worry about, which are costly.

If you don't drive 15,000+ miles/yr and don't need the extra TQ diesel makes no financial sense at all.

This.

The 2.0L engine makes zero financial OR performance sense.

The 3.0L diesel won't make financial sense either, but at least it'll have a significant performance variance.

Still, I don't expect the diesel to sell well due to myriad factors. Expense, maintenance, less commonly available fuel, higher fuel pricing, public stereotype, noise, etc.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I was going to wait for the ED. But I drove the 3.6 with the 8spd and that did it. Don't get me wrong, I think diesel would be better for many reasons. However, I am getting 19 mpg city with the 3.6 and up to 23 highway. The price of gasoline is going down because USA is the number one producer of energy in the planet. OPEC is running dry and the chokehold they had on this country is no more. So as far as I'm concerned, having a diesel would be awesome, but my pocketbook only went up to 50k and I was not going to wait another 6 months and come up with another 4500 smackaroos. My choice was the 3.6, and it is doing great. My wife also loves it. Some folks are waiting for it, I was one of them. But I'm glad I got the Pentastar.

Schipperke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback ; Ford F150
I lost some interest in Diesels when DEF became necessary. A VW Passat Wagon at >40mpg when Diesel cost less than gasoline, those days are gone.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
During the summer months, I will be prepared for the hurricane season. Fifteen gallons of ethanol free gas from Wawa's and everything will be ok. I can store it longer or use it for the boat if there is no emergency. Diesel was my first choice, but gasoline will always be available. And no DEF, I am enjoying my Rubicon every day. Just have to wait for the JT and hope and don't want to trade the F150...

Sponsored

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
I think your sheet says it pretty clearly, if you are looking at the diesel for the MPG's, then you'll get that savings in 26 - 28 years. :) I did a similar one for the gas prices specifically for Michigan and it was a bit further out (32 years).
Like one of the other posters mentioned, in 4LO you probably never notice the difference with a 3.6L. Of course someone will ultimately reply with the most awesome trail or obstacle that required such torque, but I've personally not been in a situation that my 3.6L JK or JL Rubicon did not have the torque to handle.
Total range per tankful is another consideration for some folks. That diesel will go a lot further without a fill-up. For me personally the wrangler will fill a role as a "toad" behind my Cummins Diesel powered dually truck camper we live out of 6 months a year. It would be better for us to have one fuel type for both vehicles.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
The typical person on forums banging fists on the table for any truck (non-HD) or genuine SUV to have a magical diesel can’t afford it. Nor do they want the space rocket technology in the engine bay of today’s diesel. If you crack open their subconscious, what they really want is a bare bones vehicle with a 1990s diesel for less than $30k.

When the actual $7-10k upcharge product arrives in normal trim, with tiny pipes going everywhere in the engine bay, 10 extra systems and components that make robot actuation sounds after the key is turned off, less then 10% take rate results.

That is just the straight truth.

SSVi

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Occupation
Extreme metal drummer/ large cat wrangler / gun modder
The typical person on forums banging fists on the table for any truck (non-HD) or genuine SUV to have a magical diesel can’t afford it. Nor do they want the space rocket technology in the engine bay of today’s diesel. If you crack open their subconscious, what they really want is a bare bones vehicle with a 1990s diesel for less than $30k.

When the actual $7-10k upcharge product arrives in normal trim, with tiny pipes going everywhere in the engine bay, 10 extra systems and components that make robot actuation sounds after the key is turned off, less then 10% take rate results.

That is just the straight truth.
Damn. You kind of nailed it there. So question for everyone here, how come NO ONE is talking about deleting? We all know that’s how we get the diesel back to the closest “original” form, and yes, I know it can only be marketed as for ‘off road use ONLY’, but guys do it all over the country to their daily drivers and don’t have problems. Wouldn’t the extra performance be worth the initial cost once you have all the BS deleted?

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Damn. You kind of nailed it there. So question for everyone here, how come NO ONE is talking about deleting? We all know that’s how we get the diesel back to the closest “original” form, and yes, I know it can only be marketed as for ‘off road use ONLY’, but guys do it all over the country to their daily drivers and don’t have problems. Wouldn’t the extra performance be worth the initial cost once you have all the BS deleted?

Right after the warranty. ;)

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Fight club rules apply.

Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I have a 2015 Ram ED... and have a minor tune. Over 100,000 trouble free miles. I have really enjoyed the vehicle, but not sure if I would replace it with another ED. Before the tune it had quite the turbo lag.... Had to be very careful in heavy traffic and might be a small headache in off road situations.