Sponsored

Cracked Windshield Club

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
With 230 posts in this thread, I'm starting to wonder if there is a defect in the way these windshields are made.

Considering they can make Hurricane wind and impact resistant glass for houses, you'd think a Windshield could be made to stand up to the force of a tiny pebble.
I wonder if it's due to the acoustic glass that's thinner?
Sponsored

Bskarpa

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm a member now. 1,296 miles and boom! My daughter and I both ducked and was like what the heck was that!?!?! We wasn't even behind any vehicle, well at least in our lane we wasn't. Nearest vehicle was in the right lane and we were in the left. I think it's the angle that the JL's are at and why they crack so easily. I bet if they were lowered or raised they would withstand the impact better. It's either that or Jeep is using a very cheap windshield manufacturer. Something needs to be done about this. We're dishing out lots of money for these things and people are replacing windshields like once per month almost. I had just stuck my banner on the day before :'(

20181116_111757.jpg

Bskarpa

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had my JKU from 2014-2018 and only had one hit that actually cracked it and it sounded like a bomb went off. It was so much louder than tan the JLU. The JLU was more of a chip and cracked, the JKU was like a big bolt or nut hit and then we watched the crack go across the windshield like they were racing lol. I have had rocks that have hit my JKU and sounded like they should have chipedcor cracked it but nothing. I was very impressed with the JKU windshields. I know Jeep's get more than regular vehixvehbut the amount of replacmereplthat have been done to the JL's is crazy and I be way more substantial than the JK.

JeepSerenity

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Went on my first big road trip from Texas to Montana about 3 weeks ago hit a major snow storm in Colorado and received a chip. Luckily the chip was shallow and I had it sealed before I could become a victim of this club haha.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
F01000D6-3492-48E6-A669-5FB41D479E00.jpeg
New member to this particular club,:swear: it!

Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Got this beauty today!

CD981116-934A-47B2-937F-9634CA055F02.jpeg

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Damn. The star I just got is a baby compared to that one!

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Several people have asked about using protective film, apparently the film looks good for 7-12 months, then degrades. It also is scratched by wiper blades. Probably not cost effective.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7D2B0F6A-4517-4D97-BA85-8CCB9E825E3F.jpeg
Yesterday they doubled in length. Hopefully it will get replaced Monday.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I swear the crack on my windshield happened by itself .. I get in my little evil monster Jeep Wrangler in the morning and crap... crack on the windshield.. I have seen other reports claiming the same.. the crack on my windshield started from the bottom spreading upwards... I cannot see any signs of the windshield being hit by anything... when I mentioned it to the service manager he said to talk directly with FCA.. it is not covered by normal warranty service repair..

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone ever figured out what the weird antenna windshields are for? I’ve seen pictures on the forum of them, and my glass people asked if I needed one with the antenna, but no one seems to know what they’re for, since all JL have a mast antenna.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Has anyone ever figured out what the weird antenna windshields are for? I’ve seen pictures on the forum of them, and my glass people asked if I needed one with the antenna, but no one seems to know what they’re for, since all JL have a mast antenna.
@Bill G

I remember two different guys getting the windshield with the 2 wires coming out of it. No one has come up with rhyme or reason to have that windshield with the wires. As for me, I would not want two wires dangling from the inner top windshield for no reason at all. Just give me the recommended ACOUSTIC Windshield.

JLacoustical glass.JPG

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acoustic with logo is what they are supposed to be bringing this afternoon. Them asking about the antenna jarred my memory about those, and was just curious if anyone ever figured it out.
Sponsored