Sponsored

Rubi sway bar disconnect

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
I like the function of being able too push the button and the sway bar disconnects but does anyone know if this system has been improved? I have owned 2 JK Rubi's and both of the disconnect systems failed. One at 60k and the other at 40k. I also have many friends it failed on. Anyone know if they have improved the system? Seems like it needs too be sealed better so it doesn't get wet. Not sure though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sadass

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98. 5.9 ZJ 7"LA's F/R locked 2000 WJ DD
Occupation
Semi-Conductor Equipment Tech.
Vehicle Showcase
I like the function of being able too push the button and the sway bar disconnects but does anyone know if this system has been improved? I have owned 2 JK Rubi's and both of the disconnect systems failed. One at 60k and the other at 40k. I also have many friends it failed on. Anyone know if they have improved the system? Seems like it needs too be sealed better so it doesn't get wet. Mot sure though.
Nothing more annoying then Crawling under the Jeep to pull My JKS Disoo pins. Worst yet! crawling back under a muddy jeep trying to align them links to slide over the mount and get pins back in prior to reaching the pavement. I will be buying a Rubi JL as my new DD this spring and slowly build it to replace the ZJ some day. I was looking forward to auto sway-bar disconnect. I will need to look into this more myself to see if I need to do some sort of preventive maintenance on the JL Rubi's sway bar system

Jern26

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Willys CJ5
I know with the jk's a big improvement was a manual sway bar disconnect, in the form of a knob replacing the electric solenoid. A knob right in the middle under the bumper - still a huge improvement to crawling in the mud to line up/remove/install quick disconnect links on each side. An aftermarket company even made an air operated disconnect unit and it was a lot more reliable than the stock electric one as well

OP
OP
rcr1340

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retail manager
Yea. Off Road Evolution makes the manual and the air units. The way my bumper was made it would have been a royal pain too twist a knob and the air actuator wasn't out at the time. I'm going too get the plastic electrical sealant and spray it down good with that. Hopefully it will help.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
I like the function of being able too push the button and the sway bar disconnects but does anyone know if this system has been improved? I have owned 2 JK Rubi's and both of the disconnect systems failed. One at 60k and the other at 40k. I also have many friends it failed on. Anyone know if they have improved the system? Seems like it needs too be sealed better so it doesn't get wet. Not sure though.
When you say they failed - what part of the system failed exactly? Were you able to examine the problem?

I wonder, what the cost is to fix? If I have to spend a few hundred every 50k or so, that does not seem too bad. A lot less then oil changes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rcr1340

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retail manager
The motor failed. It was $800 if I remember correctly. It's been a couple years.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
The motor failed. It was $800 if I remember correctly. It's been a couple years.
Thank you!

I like your idea of electrical sealant - think I may do that myself.

OP
OP
rcr1340

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retail manager
No doubt. I love the function as long as it works. I took the motor off and it had water in it. Hopefully Jeep sealed it better also
Sponsored