Where do you store your pistol / gun?

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
The problem with revolvers is that they don't have the same safety features as semi-autos ...
False wrt modern revolvers; true if you're carrying an old (no transfer bar) single-action six shooter with a round under the hammer.

And FWIW, I carry a semi-auto with a round in the pipe.
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I carry it on me (Sig P938). When I carry my Glock 19 I will usually place it in between Emergency brake. Then when I get down I holster it. If I'm going into a GUN FREE ZONE lol PFFT, I will quickly lock it in one of these tied around seat bracket and just tuck it under the seat.

EEBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
No rattle at all. No rubbing on draw, plenty of room for grip. An auto may fit closer to the panel and reduce the extra gripping room allowed by the curvature of the cylinder, I’m not sure. And to address a comment made earlier, stitching matches the stitching in the seats. It’s not pink, although in that picture it does look that way.
There’s a thread on here somewhere started when he began making them you might search for. It includes pictures of an auto mounted drivers side, pics from above, etc.
I believe the picture you are referring to is the following and is located in this DIY thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-console-holster-project.14478/
img_20180826_165436-2-jpg.jpg

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Last edited:

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
The problem with revolvers is that they don't have the same safety features as semi-autos and if you're carrying this thing around on your person or in your pocket or purse if you're a lady, having safety features is a great idea.

I realize that there is the argument that safety features slow down your response if you have to protect yourself. However, the odds needing to shoot someone are far lower than the odds of accidentally firing a round per statistics, so I prefer to play those odds and carry firearms that are safer to tote around day to day. That's one reason I love the Springfield XD with it's grip safety AND trigger safety.

If we want to keep our 2nd Amendment rights, we have to be safe. A revolver with only 6 rounds and a trigger that's ready to go at a moments notice is not what I want bouncing around in my Jeep or my jeans pocket.
I see a photo of a secure firearm in a secured holster. Not sure how you see it bouncing around his Jeep?
I would put no firearm in my pockets without the proper holster. I hope you do the same.

Sponsored

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
Most modern handguns (revolvers or semis) are extremely safe (yes, the levels of safety can be debated). The issues that negate the safety aspects built into them are:
  • Inexperience and lack of training on the owners part or the operators (the brain is the weapon, the gun is the tool)
  • Reworked triggers (especially by those that don't know what they are doing) as well as some other mods that people do
  • Improper maintenance
  • Improper loads
Issues that make a holster unsafe are:
  • Holsters that are too soft (especially around the trigger guard) and holsters that collapse
  • Holsters that cover the mag release
  • Holsters build that make you draw across an extremity (i.e. small of back carry with mag down)
  • Using holsters for guns that they were not designed for
  • Sight drag in a holster
  • Holsters that don't cover the trigger (exceptions would be single actions and a few others)
  • Improper grip clearance or lack of practice on the grip clearance available
The firearm and the operation of the firearm is strictly the owners responsibility. As well as adhering to any state or local laws. The owner is also responsible for any access to the firearm. That includes whether it is on your person, in your vehicle, in your purse or in your house

I have studied this for quite a while. I have seen everything from holsters made by so called "big volume" makers that I think are a liability suit waiting and builds by independent builders who really get it (as well as some that don't). I have looked at the regulations put in place by some states for gun certification (in which some are ludicrous), I have look at numerous videos of "accidental discharges" etc. One thing is for certain .... in almost all of them I have seen, one or more of the above reasons is the cause. By far, the very first thing stated is responsible for 99% of them ... inexperience and lack of training on the owners part.

Just my 2 cents ... or whatever it is worth

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Well put Mark. Inexperience and/or lack of training are huge factors in accidental discharges. Though a more appropriate term IMHO would be a negligent discharge. I know accidental is the commonly used term, but to me accidental implies something was unavoidable and out of the person's control. If someone's weapon discharges there is absolutely something they could have done to prevent it.

The problem with revolvers is that they don't have the same safety features as semi-autos ....
Not all semi-auto pistols have a safety. Neither of my S&W P226 have a safety (one is DAK, one is DAO).

.....And FWIW, I carry a semi-auto with a round in the pipe.
Me too. It's how I was trained, and I suspect you were too. Otherwise people tend to carry with an empty chamber.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
People carry unchambered because most of their training comes from movies and tv. You know that action shot where the cops rack the slide before entering the building where they bad boys are hiding.;)

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha. I've noticed that about movies/tv shows, and it drives me nuts. It doesn't matter what the situation, they rack the slide for effect. Going to intimidate a bad guy? Rack the slide. Getting ready to enter a building? Rack the slide. Don't like the answer someone gave you? Rack the slide. Good grief, how are there not a million live rounds being ejected? Are they clearing the weapon out after they intimidate the guy so they can rack it again in 5 minutes to be all dramatic before they raid the building that the intimated witness told them about. Ugh. Almost as annoying as the gun that never runs out of bullets.

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
T
Me too. It's how I was trained, and I suspect you were too. Otherwise people tend to carry with an empty chamber.
The only weapon I would carry with the hammer down on an empty chamber would be an old style (i.e., no transfer bar) single-action revolver. That, BTW, was SOP back in the day for obvious reasons.

coachgrinnan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
This scene!!

Ha ha. I've noticed that about movies/tv shows, and it drives me nuts. It doesn't matter what the situation, they rack the slide for effect. Going to intimidate a bad guy? Rack the slide. Getting ready to enter a building? Rack the slide. Don't like the answer someone gave you? Rack the slide. Good grief, how are there not a million live rounds being ejected? Are they clearing the weapon out after they intimidate the guy so they can rack it again in 5 minutes to be all dramatic before they raid the building that the intimated witness told them about. Ugh. Almost as annoying as the gun that never runs out of bullets.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That was actually a really good movie. Good point too, I guess. There is definitely a psychological aspect to chambering a round, but it also creates a tactical disadvantage by slowing your time to get on trigger.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Don't forget to hold the weapon on its side! IDK, maybe it aims and sounds better in that position lol

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Of course it does. Hold it sideways, and "push" the gun forward as you're firing to make the bullets come out faster.
Sponsored