Sponsored

TPMS swap/install

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ (sold), 04 Land Rover Disco II (dead), 18 JLU Sport S (granite)
Noob question -

I have a new Sport S and I just bought Rubi take off wheels and tires without sensors. I called a local tire shop and they quoted my $400 to remove the sensors and put them in the new set. Also got a quote for all new sensors for the new wheel set and was quoted $60 per sensor + programming for $350.

So, can I remove the sensors from my stock wheels and install in the Rubi wheels myself? Looked at some videos and it seems pretty easy. Do I need to worry about rebalancing the new wheels or anything? I'd rather not pay $350 plus to have a shop do it if possible.

BsERA9e.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL TPMS swap/install {filename}
Sponsored

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Just install the new tires/wheels and forget about the TPMS XMITTERS---

Your jeep will operate fine without them--after installing tires/wheels you have to drive over 15 mph for at least 20 minutes and the computer will adjust to NO DATA--

There won't be any alarms, just the "tire" icon will appear in your Tach--

I've run mine (2 different sets tires/wheels) without xmitters for over 400 miles-

W.E.

JIMBO
That part will always be there as it’s a mechanical aspect of the lockers design. One reason a lot of people like air lockers, they are instantaneous.
Your just bypassing the jeeps computer control. So electricwise your instant on but mechanically one wheel still has to rotate a bit for the system to lock up.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@0iiiiiii0

No, do not try to install the TPMS sensors yourself. Forget that idea.

YES, definitely use the sensors from your stock wheels. This will save you poss. headaches.

NO, those new pull offs do not need to be balanced.

Also, no programming in regard to the TPMS sensors is necessary. Have the TPMS sensors installed and then the JL does the rest automatically. (See info below)

IF you go to Big O Tire or another such tire place, they will charge you way way less then you might think. Call and get a quote.

I encourage you to install the TPMS sensors!

----

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Your tire dealer is smoking crack. Go to Walmart or where and have them break them down and put the sensors in the new wheels. Should be like 15-20 per tire. Do you have a discount tire there?

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
0iiiiiii0

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was thought since the exact same sensor was pulled from the rubi wheelset.

IF you go to Big O Tire or another such tire place, they will charge you way way less then you might think. Call and get a quote.
When I called les schwab they seemed to say that taking them out of my current wheels and putting them in the new set was a pain and it would be cheaper to just buy new sensors and install them vs pulling the stock one. I'm going to call a few other shops tomorrow.

On a related note, there is another thread discussing aftermarket sensors. The set many people are using is way less than Mopar, at $55 for 5 on ebay. They seem to work really well according to the thread. Is it worth it to just buy those to get swapped? I plan on selling my stock Sport wheels/tires and I wonder if having the stock sensor already in them would help them sell faster.

OP
OP
0iiiiiii0

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your tire dealer is smoking crack. Go to Walmart or where and have them break them down and put the sensors in the new wheels. Should be like 15-20 per tire. Do you have a discount tire there?
That's what I thought...No discount unfortunately, but I'm going to call Big O and a few others tomorrow. Les Schwab was the ones that gave me the first quotes.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@0iiiiiii0

Sure you can buy OEM, TPMS sensors or off brand sensors to use rather then the ones that came with your JL. And sure, this will save you $ and yes, you will get more $ for the pull offs that you will be selling if you leave the sensors on them...

Just know that if you use the sensors from your original wheels that chance are all will go well with the process.

Unfortunately, if you use different sensors you open up the chance that you will have issues.

Your choice. Can tell you, I'd be using the sensors that came with the JL. My time is worth money and I'd rather spend $ on a sure thing versus saving a few $ and .....

Oh, also ..... how are you going to address the speedo error that you will be having with the bigger tires?

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
On a related note, there is another thread discussing aftermarket sensors. The set many people are using is way less than Mopar, at $55 for 5 on ebay. They seem to work really well according to the thread
I was following this thread where it sounds like the Ebay sets might not work. Maybe they are a different brand or model than the ones you were referring to.(?)

Also regarding balancing, the K02's will have to come off to install the TPMS sensors, so unless the tire is clocked exactly like it was before removing, I'd say get them re-balanced, and even so, the sensor may throw it off a little anyways.
(I'm only on my 1st cup of coffee this A.M., so I might not be awake yet...)

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I was following this thread where it sounds like the Ebay sets might not work. Maybe they are a different brand or model than the ones you were referring to.(?)

Also regarding balancing, the K02's will have to come off to install the TPMS sensors, so unless the tire is clocked exactly like it was before removing, I'd say get them re-balanced, and even so, the sensor may throw it off a little anyways.
(I'm only on my 1st cup of coffee this A.M., so I might not be awake yet...)
Not exactly true. “eBay sets” means a lot of different types.

If you buy Schrader 20398 they are a direct fit replacement. Exactly what is on your Jeep right now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253992099864?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
You can also find cheap no name knock off brands that say they will fit. Those are the ones folks are having trouble with the JL’s. Frequency is the same but the strength of the frequency is different and not working consistently at this point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
0iiiiiii0

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so I called around to more tire shops today and got a quote from wheel works for $120 to swap the sensor and mount/balance the new wheels. Will be sticking with the stock sensor to hopefully bypass any potential headache that the aftermarket sensors might bring. Thanks for the advice.

I have to admit... I pulled the trigger that cheap set on ebay late last night. Seems they work for some folks, while others are having issues....I'll just skip all that with the stock sensor, but maybe offer these with my Sport take off wheels/tires when I go to sell them. Of course I'll let the buyer know they're after market and not stock....I'm not a monster.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@0iiiiiii0

Glad you are opting to stick with your stock sensors. Wise move.

SO..... how are you going to address the speedo error that you will be having with the bigger tires?

OP
OP
0iiiiiii0

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@0iiiiiii0

Glad you are opting to stick with your stock sensors. Wise move.

SO..... how are you going to address the speedo error that you will be having with the bigger tires?
Plan was to have the stealership recalibrate the speedo at some point...I wasn't in a huge rush to be honest. From what I understand it just throws the speed off by a couple MPH. Is it a bigger deal than that? Is is ok to drive it that way for a while?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@0iiiiiii0

If you have an automatic your shift points will be affected a tad. Your speed will be off, Odometer will be off..

Dealership will get $100+ to do the programming and that is lost money.

Do a forum search for a Tazer JL Lite. Costs $219, will do the tire programming, disable ESS and more.

When you sell the JL you will be able to sell the Tazer JL Lite for more then half of what you paid for it.

Yes, you can drive with the speedo error.... but why would you do that.

p.s. Tazer JL Lite will be discounted 10% on Black Friday ... actually until the Mon. after Black Friday.

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
@0iiiiiii0

No, do not try to install the TPMS sensors yourself. Forget that idea.

YES, definitely use the sensors from your stock wheels. This will save you poss. headaches.

Also, no programming in regard to the TPMS sensors is necessary. Have the TPMS sensors installed and then the JL does the rest automatically. (See info below)

I encourage you to install the TPMS sensors!

----

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.
good morning,
You seem to understand this subject pretty well so maybe you can provide some thoughts on my issue. I just traded my 2018 JLR for an identical 2019 JLR. I had upgraded to the Mopar imitation beadlocks and wanted to keep them. so when the new one came in, the dealer changed out the wheels and put the new tires on the Mopar wheels. So I've got new tires on my upgraded wheels. under the 2 section in the dash are, the TPMS doesn't even show up at all. it's as if that part is not in the 'vehicle' portion where temps, etc. are shown. I do have the TAZER and will turn that off and back on this evening, but outside of that I'm headed back to the dealer which is a pain because of the time and getting a ride, etc.
thanks,
Sponsored