Sponsored

JK frame being bent by side steps

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
i bought some side steps for my JK wrangler and noticed lately the driver side sagging, so I assumed the side step was bending at the weld and was defective.

However when I took them off to return them (vendor sent me replacements), turns out that it wasn’t the side steps at all, instead, where the side steps mounted to the underside of my Jeep, it is bending the frame in.

Has anyone ever seen this / had it happen to them? How did it play out? Do I have anything to be concerned with regarding safety / integrity of the vehicle?
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
You have pics? Are you sure you don’t mean the pinch seam?

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
I doubt you're bending the frame.... The seam the side steps bolt too is probably bent

OP
OP

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish I meant the pinch weld, but no, I meant the frame. I didn’t take pics, but I can and will post them.

The pinch weld bent too at the 3 mounting points, but I was able to straighten that back out again using two mending plates to McGyver that straight again.

But I don’t see a way to straighten the underside. I put the side steps back on temporarily, using composite shims to keep the steps from sagging and to hopefully prevent bending the metal even more.

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
What brand/model steps are they?

Sponsored

OP
OP

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quadratec Qrc side armor with step. They mount in 6 spots on the pinch weld, and there are 3 spots underneath the vehicle which are pre-threaded where they mount to as well. It is those 3 spots that are essentially being crushed in.

And I know the one question people will start thinking if they are hesitant to ask, is how heavy are you. I am a big guy, but not “My 600 pound life” tv show big. I weigh around 280 or so. But I can’t be the only big guy using side steps, and even if I am, I would hope that the frame of the vehicle would be strong enough to support that weight on the steps.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Quadratec Qrc side armor with step. They mount in 6 spots on the pinch weld, and there are 3 spots underneath the vehicle which are pre-threaded where they mount to as well. It is those 3 spots that are essentially being crushed in.

And I know the one question people will start thinking if they are hesitant to ask, is how heavy are you. I am a big guy, but not “My 600 pound life” tv show big. I weigh around 280 or so. But I can’t be the only big guy using side steps, and even if I am, I would hope that the frame of the vehicle would be strong enough to support that weight on the steps.
Not trying to be a jerk, but you list a "2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport" for a vehicle but your going to get a lot of JL biased responses on this forum. I'm not 100% sure, but I do think the mounting systems might be slightly different. (couldn't even find a QRC running board listed for a JL) And for all I know the mounting points you are having a problem with might be completely different on the JL.

OP
OP

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I apologize if I didn’t mention I still have a JK. I have been posting on this site so long in anticipation of the JL that I sometimes forget it is not a general Wrangler / Jk site. So we are talking a JK here. Not planning to get a JL for a couple more years, although this issue could potentially change things.

To answer Jeremyjeep’s question, yes it is using the 3 pre-threaded body bolt spots on the JK, and the bend is happening right where it secures to those holes. And yes, there are built in holes in this part of the frame, it is not a solid piece of steel.

OP
OP

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to be a jerk, but you list a "2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport" for a vehicle but your going to get a lot of JL biased responses on this forum. I'm not 100% sure, but I do think the mounting systems might be slightly different. (couldn't even find a QRC running board listed for a JL) And for all I know the mounting points you are having a problem with might be completely different on the JL.
I don’t take you as being a jerk, I just made a post referencing the fact that I may have been confusing people a bit because I still have my JK. I have been on this site since March of last year, and like I said, once in a while it escapes me that this is a JL site and I still have a JK.

I have used other wrangler forums, but none anywhere near as active as this, so I always come back here to get my info, and to see how everyone likes their JK’s. So u r right, I am not really using the right forum

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t take you as being a jerk, I just made a post referencing the fact that I may have been confusing people a bit because I still have my JK. I have been on this site since March of last year, and like I said, once in a while it escapes me that this is a JL site and I still have a JK.

I have used other wrangler forums, but none anywhere near as active as this, so I always come back here to get my info, and to see how everyone likes their JK’s. So u r right, I am not really using the right forum
I'm not usually the type of person to point out when someone is painting outside the lines, but with everyone so skittish on this forum about frames, saying yours is bending from the sidestep is like yelling "fire" in a movie theater. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not usually the type of person to point out when someone is painting outside the lines, but with everyone so skittish on this forum about frames, saying yours is bending from the sidestep is like yelling "fire" in a movie theater. ;)
Valid point. That has been a sore point pretty regularly on here so I should have been more aware.

OP
OP

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have pics? Are you sure you don’t mean the pinch seam?
Hi Ruben. This is not a pic of my vehicle, it is actually a pic from an install manual for LOD side steps. But it works great for showing you what I am talking about.

In the picture, on the right hand side,you see the pinch weld and the steps being secured through the pinch weld, as are mine. However, to the left and above the pinch guard, you can see a piece of the frame / body that has some holes in it, and you can see those steps are secured there as well. That is the place where it is getting bent / crushed in.

So that is what I am dealing with. So is this the frame? The body? I was told tonight they are not the same thing, I just always thought they are two ways of saying the same thing. I am not a car genius, so forgive my stupid questions.

Is this something that can be repaired by a body shop doing some reinforcement, or do I have a bigger issue here?

Thanks for the responses so far, I really do appreciate it.

B17FEC5B-1402-4F4A-9DA2-F4D37982ACDE.png

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Ruben. This is not a pic of my vehicle, it is actually a pic from an install manual for LOD side steps. But it works great for showing you what I am talking about.

In the picture, on the right hand side,you see the pinch weld and the steps being secured through the pinch weld, as are mine. However, to the left and above the pinch guard, you can see a piece of the frame / body that has some holes in it, and you can see those steps are secured there as well. That is the place where it is getting bent / crushed in.

So that is what I am dealing with. So is this the frame? The body? I was told tonight they are not the same thing, I just always thought they are two ways of saying the same thing. I am not a car genius, so forgive my stupid questions.

Is this something that can be repaired by a body shop doing some reinforcement, or do I have a bigger issue here?

Thanks for the responses so far, I really do appreciate it.

B17FEC5B-1402-4F4A-9DA2-F4D37982ACDE.png
From the looks of the picture, all the attachment points are to the thin body sheetmetal, not the frame. The heavy gauge metal bracket to the left in the picture is the body mount on the frame. You may want to look into steps that secure to that and not touch the body sheetmetal at all.

OP
OP

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the looks of the picture, all the attachment points are to the thin body sheetmetal, not the frame. The heavy gauge metal bracket to the left in the picture is the body mount on the frame. You may want to look into steps that secure to that and not touch the body sheetmetal at all.
Yea, certainly found that out the hard way! I have been asking around, and getting conflicting advice, some people say just get a fab shop to bend that back out, others saying axe the steps I have and get other steps that mount to the body to frame mount you just pointed out.

As with every mod / upgrade decision on my wrangler, it is a torturous decision! Going through the same decision making process for a month now on which bumper I want. When u can only get one (these are not clothes u r buying that can be changed every day) it is tough to decide!!!!! At least for me it is.
Sponsored