Adaptive Cruise Control 2019- need report from new owners

bcampion

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-2020
I'm not sure about the new 2019 JL ACC system operation, but my 2014 Grand Cherokee in stop and go freeway traffic the ACC will follow the vehicle in front of me, maintain speed and distance adjusting speed accordingly, If traffic stops the Grand Cherokee will stop too and start up again IF the stop is only 1-2 seconds, if longer than 1-2 seconds the system disengages and the driver is expected to take control.

Right. "With stop" is what they call it.
Is ACC really available from anyone without stop and go?
Sponsored

Carnut12

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 BMW M4
I never thought this option would be something I would want, but then I bought the wife a 2018 T8 XC90 Volvo and that changed my mind big time. I use it on every long trip we go on, I love it. I would wait for a 2019 just to have this option.

I am still debating trading for a JL, one reason is I want more advanced features like this.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've come from BMW's, and though my particular car, which has been traded for my new Jeep did not have Adaptive Cruize on it, some of the other loaners that were given to me over the years did. I personally am not a fan of the Adaptive cruise in that, while It seems to brake well, it seems very slow to accelerate should you decide to get in the left lane to pass. Meaning, I've got the regular high-speed sassholes flying up on me like the man men (and women) that they are flying up on my rear bumper, while I'm sitting waiting for the adaptive thing to do is... thing, if you will. Ultimately I end up pressing into the accelerator anyhow to get up to left lane speed, so I can go without. Perhaps the FCA adaptive system performs better?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Good eye, I did not notice that!
That's actually what I was looking for, never tilted up to see what the sensors by the mirror looked like.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I've come from BMW's, and though my particular car, which has been traded for my new Jeep did not have Adaptive Cruize on it, some of the other loaners that were given to me over the years did. I personally am not a fan of the Adaptive cruise in that, while It seems to brake well, it seems very slow to accelerate should you decide to get in the left lane to pass. Meaning, I've got the regular high-speed sassholes flying up on me like the man men (and women) that they are flying up on my rear bumper, while I'm sitting waiting for the adaptive thing to do is... thing, if you will. Ultimately I end up pressing into the accelerator anyhow to get up to left lane speed, so I can go without. Perhaps the FCA adaptive system performs better?
Thanks for the insight - I've never used ACC, good to know.
Doesn't seem like a huge deal, it's kinda like hitting resume on normal CC. Seems like whenever I do that I still hit the gas to accelerate faster.

Sponsored

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I looked at the 2019 builder link above and built the specs for my Jeep which Im getting ASG. In the 360 degree view of the interior you can see the camera housing behind the rear view mirror, it is huge!

2019 with ASG.png
2018 with SG.png
That is Huge! Somebody need to confirm this who ordered a 2019 with this option when they take delivery.

StammesOpfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n 2.0 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Every Cruise Control system I have ever used always increases speed slowly. So yes you may need to tell it to accelerate a little quicker if someone is catching you from behind. I don't really feel like that is a problem the system would have to default to a faster acceleration all the time then and that wouldn't make for a smooth driving experience.

So hit that turn signal, switch lanes, and mash the gas for a few seconds to get back up to speed and the cruise will hold you there and move you with the flow of traffic.

Or turn off the ACC part and use it like regular Cruise if you feel like the situation calls for it. Or just skip ordering it entirely. I think ACC is really all about being in traffic, on the open highway it isn't huge but does mean you don't have to fiddle with the +/- controls to match average speed of the cars around you.

StammesOpfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n 2.0 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That is Huge! Somebody need to confirm this who ordered a 2019 with this option when they take delivery.
I'm surprised someone doesn't have one yet. Mine is somewhere in the rail system now but I doubt I'll be the first with it. After spending some time behind the wheel of a Mazda rental that had it I felt like it was a no brainer.

If it really is that big then I will just make the best of it by putting my GPS or AUX Switches or HAM radio head or something up there. I'm sure the aftermarket will find a good use for the space.

My big only concern is if somehow FCA thought it would be ok to use a radar on a vehicle that everyone throws bumpers and winches and lights in front of. They would be crazy to do it but I haven't seen any confirmation that it is pure camera based. I did find that FCA is partnered with mobileeye for this kind of tech and they do have a pure camera based solution. I just hope they are doing camera only otherwise I paid extra for something I soon won't be able to use.

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Also wondering if the unit is that big, can we still fold the windshield?

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'm surprised someone doesn't have one yet. Mine is somewhere in the rail system now but I doubt I'll be the first with it. After spending some time behind the wheel of a Mazda rental that had it I felt like it was a no brainer.

If it really is that big then I will just make the best of it by putting my GPS or AUX Switches or HAM radio head or something up there. I'm sure the aftermarket will find a good use for the space.

My big only concern is if somehow FCA thought it would be ok to use a radar on a vehicle that everyone throws bumpers and winches and lights in front of. They would be crazy to do it but I haven't seen any confirmation that it is pure camera based. I did find that FCA is partnered with mobileeye for this kind of tech and they do have a pure camera based solution. I just hope they are doing camera only otherwise I paid extra for something I soon won't be able to use.
Someone who works at the factory said it is indeed a camera. I would think it is important to keep the windshield clean while using it. I herd Subaru's camera system did not work well when the windshield was dirty.

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country
On other FCA vehicles equipped with ACC. There are 2 main components. 1. Being the forward facing camera. That is shown above( that is huge) and the other component 2. Is the radar out front on the bumper/ grill area, Has anyone seen where they are putting this? Or did they combine the radar and the camera in one unit. I didnā€™t see it on The JT either. Could be why itā€™s Possibly why itā€™s so big??? Just curious. Super excited to see one.

Last edited:

cdhd2

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Hopefully there is some form of radar also. Camera only systems are less accurate because they cant see through rain, snow, fog and dirt. You know, the same way it will be hard for us to see through a big ass camera mounted to the windshield. :)
Sponsored