Sponsored

LED's not hot enough to melt snow while driving!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Yes @NavyVet1959, I totally agree. As I just said the lights on a wrangler being sunk in is 60% of the problem.

This forum is a love hate relationship, 90% of the folks on here are first time owners who use google to make there arguments..when in reality they know nothing.

And THANK YOU for your service young man, we are all in debt to your sacrifice!!!!:flag::flag::flag::flag::captain::captain:
My halogens on my JK only barely light up about 10 feet of road on a clear night. Your LED fog lights alone probably light up more than my headlights and fog lights put together. What's the most snow that can accumulate on your headlights? About 1 inch at the bottom?

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I'll just wait for Trucklite to release a compatible LED with heating elements.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Do the fog lights also accumulate snow? The LED bulbs that I replace my incandescent bulbs with seem to be bright enough by themselves to be used as headlights at any speed I would probably be driving during heavy snow.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Do the fog lights also accumulate snow? The LED bulbs that I replace my incandescent bulbs with seem to be bright enough by themselves to be used as headlights at any speed I would probably be driving during heavy snow.
Yes

Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Let me correct myself, should be part of cold weather package. Sorry fail is not on me or anybody else who got leds. Leds are an UPGRADE not cheap halogen lights for people to cheap to pay for leds.
I would not say that avoiding led headlights is being cheap. Personally i am not a fan of led headlights...if i am going to upgrade headlights which i am not i would add hid like i have on my bikes and it wouldnt cost me $900 to do so. Good Hid can be had for $100.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Heating the bazel will likely cause problems for the plastic grill. Heat will likely cause more yellowing than there already is. Btw it is disappionting that jeep uses a plastic grill. Pathetic really.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I would not say that avoiding led headlights is being cheap. Personally i am not a fan of led headlights...if i am going to upgrade headlights which i am not i would add hid like i have on my bikes and it wouldnt cost me $900 to do so. Good Hid can be had for $100.
Well that's great glad for you, however, for those of us who really are not all that concerned about cost it means nothing.

But, thank you

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
With glass, it's possible to heat it with wires either embedded in it or on the surface (like with the rest window defroster on many cars). I'm not so certain that plastic will be as conducive to that approach though. For one thing, plastic is not as good of a conductor of heat as glass.

Maybe another glass cover that for flush with the light opening in the grill to keep snow from accumulating would work? Maybe even have the capability to heat that?

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i live in northern ontario, canada. it's a pain in the arse having to pull over and clear the snow off the headlights. the fogs get it the worst, fills in the holes flush.

i don't want to scrape off the snow/ice, don't want to scratch the plastic, so i'm thinking a spray bottle of winter washer fluid might work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
i live in northern ontario, canada. it's a pain in the arse having to pull over and clear the snow off the headlights. the fogs get it the worst, fills in the holes flush.

i don't want to scrape off the snow/ice, don't want to scratch the plastic, so i'm thinking a spray bottle of winter washer fluid might work.
Great idea buddy!!

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
With glass, it's possible to heat it with wires either embedded in it or on the surface (like with the rest window defroster on many cars). I'm not so certain that plastic will be as conducive to that approach though. For one thing, plastic is not as good of a conductor of heat as glass.

Maybe another glass cover that for flush with the light opening in the grill to keep snow from accumulating would work? Maybe even have the capability to heat that?
And add what, another $900 to the price of the LED option? :giggle: Y'all are killing it!

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
And add what, another $900 to the price of the LED option? :giggle: Y'all are killing it!
@Biscuit what do you have for a rig? Any photos? We all curious what your Jeep looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.