Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler line uses "Flipper" to increase production and reduce wear on employees

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Kinda cool. Wish I had one in my garage, lol.

OP
OP
1quick1

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine trying to explain to your wife why the garage now needs a flipper in addition to the spots for doors, rear seat and top parts :O
My family is so in with Jeeps, if it was possible, we'd have one haha and the ladies know that's just how it is when you marry into a Jeep family :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
1quick1

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I've been talking to my dad about this one for years.

The idea is, many times people have to put their bodies in weird positions (think installing the overhead domes/lights,etc). This is an idea to increase manufactering efficiency but also take wear and tear off the tecks on the line.

I know FCA get's a lot of flak, and many times for good reason (dealer service), but they truly care about putting out a good product and most people in Toledo on that line take great pride in their job.

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
I've been talking to my dad about this one for years.

The idea is, many times people have to put their bodies in weird positions (think installing the overhead domes/lights,etc). This is an idea to increase manufactering efficiency but also take wear and tear off the tecks on the line.

I know FCA get's a lot of flak, and many times for good reason (dealer service), but they truly care about putting out a good product and most people in Toledo on that line take great pride in their job.
Great article!

I am sure the works take great pride in their job. I have a few uncles that use to work in assembly plants and I know they took great pride in what they did. It made them feel proud when they would see a car on the road that they may have had a part in building. I highly doubt many people, if any, on here have a problem with the workers. It is usually the higher ups. In my past experience, the higher ups usually have very little idea, if any, what life is like for the daily process. I love it when someone works their way through the corporate ladder. At least they can then relate how a decision might impact the worker.

OP
OP
1quick1

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Great article!

I am sure the works take great pride in their job. I have a few uncles that use to work in assembly plants and I know they took great pride in what they did. I made them feel proud when they would see a car on the road that they may have had a part in building. I highly doubt many people, if any, on here have a problem with the workers. It is usually the higher ups. In my past experience, the higher ups usually have very little idea, if any, what life is like for the daily process. I love it when someone works their way through the corporate ladder. At least they can then relate how a decision might impact the worker.
I drove home to Toledo in July to visit and put 3,000 miles on the JL. When I got there I was able to show my dad every single complaint I had with the vehicle. He felt bad for a few which really made me feel worse but trust me, they care deeply about putting out a good Wrangler.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Agreed .

Nevertheless it is always a good idea to slow down the line so workers can be more careful . ( Rather than speeding up the line forcing the workers to be less careful .)

Just sayin' .

OP
OP
1quick1

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed .

Nevertheless it is always a good idea to slow down the line so workers can be more careful . ( Rather than speeding up the line forcing the workers to be less careful .)

Just sayin' .
Yea well now we are getting into conversations that are made at a high level and likely by high level managment under pressure by stakeholders. Like any major company..

Although my Dad is instrumental in these launches, when it comes to decisions like that, he's small fish.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Yea well now we are getting into conversations that are made at a high level and likely by high level management
When my hearing was adequate , occasionally I sat-in on management meetings as an observer . I was privately amazed how so many of the "high level managers" have so little common sense . Including the ones who came to tell middle managers what to do .

To speed up an assembly line is nonsensical by any measure . That sort of decision ought to be vetoed by the sergeants on the factory floor , not dictated by some fool high in an ivory tower .

An example would be the steel bumper bolt fiasco , reported on this forum . The worker attached a bolt to the proper hole on one side , which went up into the bolt receiver hole , and held the bumper . And he attached the other bolt to a hole which existed , but which was not the proper hole to hold the bumper . First thing I thought of was the assembly line must have been speeded up .

Last edited:
OP
OP
1quick1

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
old I cannot, and will not speak to any of these issues as I'm just an independent like everyone else. I was just trying to provide some insight. If you read the article, a lot of this was around reacting to feedback from the assembly line team leads. I think it's a great steps. Just take my thoughts as that, thoughts from a different perspective.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
old I cannot, and will not speak to any of these issues as I'm just an independent like everyone else. I was just trying to provide some insight. If you read the article, a lot of this was around reacting to feedback from the assembly line team leads. I think it's a great steps. Just take my thoughts as that, thoughts from a different perspective.

Agreed . Thank you for the insightful article and the information . All the builders of our Jeeps are great people .

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's cruel. Dolphins are almost as smart as humans :cwl:

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Thank you! Great insight on how our Jeeps are built. That's a really cool set up they have built. And to save the workers from repetitive medical issues is awesome! Sure, it saves corporate on their worker comp insurance, however the improvement for the workers themselves is exponential. To prevent an injury to yourself is priceless. Especially even if fixed it'll probably rear some sort of issue in the future - weaker, pain as you age, etc..

Sponsored