Sponsored

LED's not hot enough to melt snow while driving!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
So anybody who lives in a cold climate subjected to snow shouldn't get LED's?!?

That's a ridiculous statement.

Jeep should have included HEATED BEZELS AS PART OF THE COLD PACKAGE OR LED PACKAGE.

there is no argument here
Well I live in such a clement and I will be ordering my Gladiator without LED's if they do not offer a heated unit. I will purchase a heated LED package at a later date. As a consumer I have done my research and have personally mad a decision based on my needs. As a consumer that is my responsibility.

Did you do any research into your decision to upgrade to the factory LED's? During your research did you see that LED's do not put off heat? During your research did you see that the factory upgrade did not include a heating element? What made you still upgrade to the LED's?

Perhaps you just pulled the cash from you pocket and tossed it at the dealer and now want to skirt the blame for a uneducated decision on someone else.
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Yes @NavyVet1959, I totally agree. As I just said the lights on a wrangler being sunk in is 60% of the problem.

This forum is a love hate relationship, 90% of the folks on here are first time owners who use google to make there arguments..when in reality they know nothing.

And THANK YOU for your service young man, we are all in debt to your sacrifice!!!!:flag::flag::flag::flag::captain::captain:
I had an XJ 20+ years ago and I took it on a long road trip once where I encountered quite a bit of snow. I do remember the snow accumulating between the aftermarket bumper's light guards and the incandescent lights.

What was my solution / reaction to this?

I took a couple of beers and put them between the guard and the bulb so that the beers would be nice and cold when I got to my destination...

You gotta have your priorities, ya' know... :)

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Well,

I know this much. Eventually, we will all know how much of a problem there is, if any.
The benefits of the LEDs out way the snow issue.

It's not like it snows every day so...

Have no regrets getting them. Heated bezels would have went a long way however.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I had an XJ 20+ years ago and I took it on a long road trip once where I encountered quite a bit of snow. I do remember the snow accumulating between the aftermarket bumper's light guards and the incandescent lights.

I took a couple of beers and put them between the guard and the bulb so that the beers would be nice and cold when I got to my destination...

Hahahaa that's awesome!!

Yammyhaha

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito MOAB/Audi A6/BMW Z3/Saab 9-5/Saab 9-3 Conv
Because your lights are flush...Jeeps lights are sunk in which is 60% of the problem
I suspect that the aerodynamics of the headlight assembly plays a part in this also. Wranglers are not known for being particularly aerodynamic... Well, unless you consider a *brick* to be aerodynamic... Back when I worked for NASA, we said that the Shuttle was just a brick with wings due to its aerodynamics...

Well, that as good an idea as I've heard in a while! LOL!!!

Sponsored

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the new snow plow trucks you see on the roads today are equipped with LED's. They are heated units. These trucks are out fighting the storms from the first flake to hours after the storm has passed. The heated elements work just fine. The headlights, taillights and strobes are all heated LED's.

If the factory LED's are not heated and you live in a area that gets snow why would you get them? It is the consumers responsibility to research a product before purchasing it. The blame here is solely on the person that purchased a unheated LED lamp while living in a area that gets snow.
Not sure if the second part is directed at me, as I have not complained and am perfectly happy with my LEDs.

As I have indicated above, I will trust my engineering. I have not experienced any snow accumulations on my LEDs.

PS: Note the lack of '

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The benefits of the LEDs out way the snow issue.

It's not like it snows every day so...

Have no regrets getting them. Heated bezels would have went a long way however.
Since the lenses / covers for the lights are made from plastic instead of glass, I have to wonder whether there might be an issue with heating them. It might be that if you heated them enough to handle any sort of snow and ice accumulation, you would soften the plastic in the process.

Would it be easier to just swap out the LEDs with halogen bulbs in the winter like some people do with their winter tires?

I wonder how the base JL lights would handle the same type of snow accumulation. It might just be that it's not a heat issue, but just a aerodynamic design issue.

Of course, if it really is snowing so hard that it is accumulating on the lights, you probably also should be driving somewhat slower, so maybe don't need for your lights to reach out as far... :)

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Since the lenses / covers for the lights are made from plastic instead of glass, I have to wonder whether there might be an issue with heating them. It might be that if you heated them enough to handle any sort of snow and ice accumulation, you would soften the plastic in the process.

Would it be easier to just swap out the LEDs with halogen bulbs in the winter like some people do with their winter tires?

I wonder how the base JL lights would handle the same type of snow accumulation. It might just be that it's not a heat issue, but just a aerodynamic design issue.

Of course, if it really is snowing so hard that it is accumulating on the lights, you probably also should be driving somewhat slower, so maybe don't need for your lights to reach out as far... :)
Heat the bezel housing, not the lens.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if you want to be picky, I have to wonder if the LEDs are even hot enough to melt snow when you are just *sitting still*, much less while *driving*... :)

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
This wouldn't be a problem if Jeep didn't keep the ancient sunken headlight design that's basically a bowl against the wind. Even the CJ's would have done better with their headlights sticking out from the grille. The whole sunken headlights is just one big impractical dumb gimmick which started with the YJ and got deeper and deeper each generation for some stupid reason.
gens.JPG

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Well, if you want to be picky, I have to wonder if the LEDs are even hot enough to melt snow when you are just *sitting still*, much less while *driving*... :)
They do actually(a little)..that said it was 31° out that day so haven't really had any experience yet in real cold weather.

OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
20181118_011335.jpg
This wouldn't be a problem if Jeep didn't keep the ancient sunken headlight design that's basically a bowl against the wind. Even the CJ's would have done better with their headlights sticking out from the grille. The whole sunken headlights is just one big impractical dumb gimmick which started with the YJ and got deeper and deeper each generation for some stupid reason.
gens.JPG
I have a coffee mug with your screen name on it lol View attachment 111761 View attachment 111761

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
gens.JPG
Thank you for your service young man:captain::flag:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.