Sponsored

LED's not hot enough to melt snow while driving!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Titan2727

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I was just saying yesterday, here comes the first real winter season for most of us owners, what new things might we learn about the JL. And here we are
That said @GRAK, an absorbance of water from melting snow on roof comes into the car if you even just crack the window.

Why didnt Jeep just add some small drain holes along underside of gutter to help the issue?! Something
Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
^ This. Don’t put WD-40 on your Jeep.

I was thinking RainX, but now I’m gonna check out Plexus. Thanks!

Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant and Polish (13-Ounce) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00092CKN4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.oT7BbD67MZVP

Product Description
Plexus seals the pores in plastic surfaces with a micro-thin layer of shiny, protective wax, making it resistant to debris, oil, scratches, and eventual yellowing. Developed for use in the aviation industry - specifically, for cleaning and protecting aircraft windshields and painted surfaces, people quickly discovered it could be used on a limitless variety of plastic surfaces. Use it on your vinyl windows, hatch covers, mirrors, laminated surfaces, eyewear, computer screens... just about any place you would normally use plastic cleaner. Its convenient aerosol applicator prevents dripping, leaking, evaporating, and coagulating at the tip of the nozzle (as is common with pumps and squeeze bottles). Plexus makes colored plastics vibrant, makes clear plastic virtually transparent, and leaves plastic paints gleaming like new. This item is not for sale in Catalina Island.

Plexus also works great for decal/sticker removal. Give it a try, it is far superior to goo gone

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Cause everyone wants to stop and clean off their headlights every 15 minutes when on a two hour trek when it minus 30 and snow. :facepalm:
Gee, if it really is a problem on a moving vehicle (doubtful), maybe you should rethink spending a ridiculous $900 on LEDs. :giggle:

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Needs solving for sure, but it's really rather ironic.

One of the big advantages of LED headlights is that they don't waste as much energy creating "useless" heat as incandescent headlights.

Now, we're talking about adding power-sucking heaters BACK into LED headlight assemblies to add back some of that "guess its not so totally useless after all" heat.

(Yeah, I know, the LED's have a LOT of other advantages and are still a great solution overall, but yet another teaching example of "unintended consequences".)

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
When we took delivery of our JLUR we drove it from Detroit to Utah in snow and rain storms The Led headlights are heated so the snow does melt off of them just fine
I'm seeing a bit of conflicting information. Guess I'll find out on my own.

BTW - Love Plexus. Been using it for years on my helmet to keep things nice and clear. Found it was awesome for lots of plastic cleanings. :like:

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Yeah. I'm looking at a Utah trip... this could hurt me..
I have a feeling you will be fine. Although if heated, I bet the lights only heat up when temps get below freezing and turn on with the seats and steering wheel.

So many cool things so far, I'm hoping that this one was also thought of. I hated the Truck-Lite LED's I bought for the LJ after trying to drive back to Broomfield from Colorado Springs in a snow storm. What a pain in the ass stopping to clear the lights every time they filled in with snow.

Had some HID aux lights as backup fairly quick.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Needs solving for sure, but it's really rather ironic.

One of the big advantages of LED headlights is that they don't waste as much energy creating "useless" heat as incandescent headlights.

Now, we're talking about adding power-sucking heaters BACK into LED headlight assemblies to add back some of that "guess its not so totally useless after all" heat.

(Yeah, I know, the LED's have a LOT of other advantages and are still a great solution overall, but yet another teaching example of "unintended consequences".)
I was refilling my JL's tank after getting back from the NV trip the other day and there was a woman with a BMW SUV stuck at one of the pumps and a guy from a mobile locksmith was trying to snake a wire through the crack between the door and the body in order to unlock the vehicle. Apparently some combination of auto-start-stop / auto-park-mode / keyless-ignition caused the car to lock her our of her car while she was trying to refuel and she had to call the locksmith to get back in the car. Other example of unintended consequences... I suspect that the cost for the locksmith was more than the auto-start-stop will ever save her on fuel. :)

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
I was refilling my JL's tank after getting back from the NV trip the other day and there was a woman with a BMW SUV stuck at one of the pumps and a guy from a mobile locksmith was trying to snake a wire through the crack between the door and the body in order to unlock the vehicle. Apparently some combination of auto-start-stop / auto-park-mode / keyless-ignition caused the car to lock her our of her car while she was trying to refuel and she had to call the locksmith to get back in the car. Other example of unintended consequences... I suspect that the cost for the locksmith was more than the auto-start-stop will ever save her on fuel. :)
Curmudgeon Extraordinaire; Grumpy Old Man; Strict Constitutionalist; Retired Engineer (NASA, DoD); ex-Navy; pilot; Unrepentant Southerner; totally non-PC

Now, get off my lawn, dammit!

Walt Kowalski, is that you? ;)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What material is the lens? WD-40 is petroleum based which can turn some plastics or UV coatings yellow. Plexus is made for plastics. Great product.
I hit mine frequently with Turtle Wax Ice, which I would imagine could help. I think window washer fluid in a squirt bottle would do the trick, though, and shouldn't harm the plastic. I agree that WD40 should probably be avoided.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if something like this would be helpful.

71oxLr4rwZL._SY879_.jpg
I'd email Dupont and ask if it would harm polymers or clear lenses.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Happened to my mother in her current 2017 x5 or her last one which was a couple years old.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Walt Kowalski, is that you? ;)
Just got back from NV... If you're from Las Vegas, you should recognize this area:

20181108--155607008.jpg

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Happened to my mother in her current 2017 x5 or her last one which was a couple years old.
Women have a habit of leaving their purse in their car when they are refueling. This makes it easy for the snatch-and-grab thieves that come up on the other side of the car and if the door is unlocked, then they can grab the purse (with the money and whatever) and run off with it. Of course, now with the keyless ignition systems, these same women will probably just leave their key in their purse (like this woman did), so now a thief would not only have the woman's money and credit cards, but also the "key" to her car (and probably home and her ID that tells the thief where the home is).

Some combination of events occurred to make this woman's car decide to lock the doors on her... It sounded like maybe the engine was still running, but maybe I was just hearing the engine from the mobile locksmith's van, so I'm not 100% sure on this. Since the woman had the key in her purse, maybe there was enough things in the purse blocking the signal to the fob that the car thought that the fob had left the vehicle and it had a keyless entry (proximity) system, so it automatically locked the doors when she exited. Probably a couple of different factors all lined up just right to make the car think that it needed to lock the doors. Personally, I don't like the car to do things for me automatically. If I want the doors locked, then I will press the remote's button to lock them. Just another case of some kiddie engineer adding some new gee-whiz feature because he thought it would be neat and not thinking through the possible consequences of it. Give me a simple keyed ignition switch any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.