OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I used to be a detailer. Ask me any questions you like.

Yes, a Porter Cable random orbital polisher is a great tool. You have to learn how to use it but it’s got a pretty easy learning curve and its much more forgiving than a circular polisher which will mar and burn your finish. If you don’t know what you’re doing.

But wax should usually be applied by hand. A polisher is for polishing. Prepping the surface by polishing makes s really big difference if your paint is dull or damaged but on a new vehicle might not be absolutely necessary.
Thank you. So I shouldn't need the mirror glaze just a good coat of the wax?
Any opinions on the Tech 2.0 wax? I will try the Chemical Guys but first i've got to use up this stuff I bought.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Any opinions on the Tech 2.0 wax? I will try the Chemical Guys but first i've got to use up this stuff I bought.
Correct. The glaze isn’t something they you really need and just takes more time.

I’ve never used the product personally so I can’t say from experience what it’s like. It’s not actually a wax at all, but a synthetic sealant. They tend to last much longer than wax. The biggest difference is the longer durability (a few months vs a few weeks) and the look of the shine - synthetic sealants tend to have a brighter reflective shine, most find waxes to have a deeper, glossier, “wetter” look. This especially true on darker colors. Less evident on silver, white, or lighter colors. You can put wax on top of sealant once it’s cured but it’s overkill for most folks unless you’re doing a show or something like that. If you use it and like the look that’s all that matters. Your Jeep will look great.

Chemical Guys Black Light sealant on dark colors or White Light on lighter colors is a great inexpensive sealant that’s super easy to apply, has a great slick feel, and a lot of pop.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
well you already purchased the mirror glaze so I’d use it, just make sure to put it down before you apply the wax. I have used it many times and it goes on very easy and might even be easier to remove. The process shouldn’t add much more time to the whole process of beautifying your Jeep with a coat of wax.

one of the most important steps is making sure you are starting with a freshly cleaned surface. For the average person that will be just washing the vehicle which will be fine to about 90% of people looking at the Jeep.

The whole detailing and paint correction thing can easily step you off the deep end With decontamination of paint with an iron remover, foam cannons, claying or the likes, polishing with a number of different pads for cutting and finishing, wipedowns, etc.... I can go on and on there are so many different steps. It all depends on what you are after.

I think you will be fine and will enjoy the look after you are finished, just don’t rush it.
Have fun and post up pics after you are finished so we all can admire the glimmering paint

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I figured i would get a coat of wax on before the winter starts. I've been reading up on Porter Cable polishers.
Anyone use these? I don't think my arms could take buffing out wax.
I’ve had one for about 9 years now and regret not getting one sooner. Get the random orbital one with the 25ft power cord. You’ll be happy with it.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I switched from using clay bar to using a nanoskin autoscrub with my porter cable. It’s so much faster, less fussy, and no fears of it getting loaded with dirt. Even if it’s dropped, just wash it off. I’ll never go back to clay unless I need to spot treat a really really bad spot.

https://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-car-care-products.html
Wow. I may give this a try. I’m so used to using clay, then paint polish, then wax.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
You'll never go back. I did the entire JLU (not including the black hardtop) in about 10-15 minutes tops. It's seriously one of the biggest detail time savers I've ever used and it does a fantastic job. You can even use it on glass, which is nice for the windshield. I'm 100% a convert and never going back to clay.

Wow. I may give this a try. I’m so used to using clay, then paint polish, then wax.
Sponsored