Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, it’s built like a beautiful beast and well enough to show at SEMA. Great job!

I think you have had the most wheel changes so far on this forum. :giggle:

These Jeeps are on the constant upgrade cycle. cool to follow the progress and see them go through all its stages

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I've been lazy posting updates lately with SEMA and all. Some of those builds had me slightly depressed lol.

I painted all my @ROAM control arms a similar color to the candy red of the wheels. I installed modified @Artec fender liners today to clean up the inner fenders. Trying to decide what to do to make the "freedom edition" Artec logo visible.
I've also lowered it a bit, but not shown in these pictures.
DSC_1249.JPG
DSC_1214_2.JPG
DSC_1217_2.JPG
Artec & Roam.jpg

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Installed a @ROAM single action rear tire carrier on my wife's JL.

Installed a @ROAM Stinger on mine. May swap over to a warn Zeon 10s since it fits in this bumper, and I need to figure out what to do for some lights.

DSC_1274.JPG

DSC_1268.JPG

DSC_1273.JPG

DSC_1293(1).JPG

Sponsored

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Installed a @ROAM single action rear tire carrier on my wife's JL.

Installed a @ROAM Stinger on mine. May swap over to a warn Zeon 10s since it fits in this bumper, and I need to figure out what to do for some lights.

DSC_1274.JPG

DSC_1268.JPG

DSC_1273.JPG

DSC_1293(1).JPG
U think I’ll need anything to trim the fenders on my sport unlimited. Bracket wise

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I wish I was on the inside with Roam. I have been waiting for the rear bumper/tire carrier to become available. I put the front bumper on yesterday. I used your thread with the step by step install instruction. Took a little bit of messing around to remote install the winch controller. Was going to install the Roam side armor steps, but the weather turned to shit so I cruised the back roads a season roads.

20181124_121151_zpsrcuipkwg.jpg

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
U think I’ll need anything to trim the fenders on my sport unlimited. Bracket wise
Are you asking if you trim the fenders will brackets be required to firm them up like the artec brackets for the Rubicon? If so, I'm not sure since I havent tried it yet on the Sport but in the current configuration those sport fenders are drastically limiting her shock uptravel. I may try "chopping" them the next time she doesnt need the Jeep for a couple days.

I wish I was on the inside with Roam. I have been waiting for the rear bumper/tire carrier to become available. I put the front bumper on yesterday. I used your thread with the step by step install instruction. Took a little bit of messing around to remote install the winch controller. Was going to install the Roam side armor steps, but the weather turned to shit so I cruised the back roads a season roads.

20181124_121151_zpsrcuipkwg.jpg
Looks great!

We are at an offroad park in Marble Falls, TX having some fun. I wish we had a third person to take more pictures.
20181123_171721~2.jpg

20181124_163514~3.jpg

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
Are you asking if you trim the fenders will brackets be required to firm them up like the artec brackets for the Rubicon? If so, I'm not sure since I havent tried it yet on the Sport but in the current configuration those sport fenders are drastically limiting her shock uptravel. I may try "chopping" them the next time she doesnt need the Jeep for a couple days.

Looks great!

We are at an offroad park in Marble Falls, TX having some fun. I wish we had a third person to take more pictures.
20181123_171721~2.jpg

20181124_163514~3.jpg
Ok please keep it posted and I will too I might do it next weekend.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I've been looking for your build thread for a while after seeing some of your comments/pics in other threads @TTEChris . Huge fan of your white Rubi build- Wife's Red Sport is looking great as well. Hoping to utilize some of the knowledge here eventually when I get my JLUR. I plan on starting stock (As I've done with my past 2 TJ's), adding armor, and building over the next few years.

Quick questions about bumpers- I've been looking at front bumpers, and I'm down to the Motobilt and ROAM. How is the coverage of the Sway bar on the Roam? Any chances of it getting whacked by rocks?

Also: I seem to remember you saying you were switching winches to the Warn Zeon 10S so it would fit better- are there fitment issues with other winches with that bumper?

Considering the ROAM Swing out tire carrier like you have for the rear but concerned that the latch hangs a bit low. Is it well protected? in the shots you posted it looks like it just hangs our there a little too much. Any reason you went with this tire carrier over the tube style (like the one in the pics of your 2012 JK)?

Finally- Long shot, but Do you know if ROAM are planning on offering any options to accommodate the OEM LED Fogs? I really want to keep my OEM fogs because I plan on using them as driving lights, not trail/ rock lights since I don't really wheel at night.

Thanks, and keep the good info coming. We all really appreciate it.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Roam has made an add on so you can use the lights in the front bumper.
Link? Looked at their site but I can't seem to find any info on it.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking for your build thread for a while after seeing some of your comments/pics in other threads @TTEChris . Huge fan of your white Rubi build- Wife's Red Sport is looking great as well. Hoping to utilize some of the knowledge here eventually when I get my JLUR. I plan on starting stock (As I've done with my past 2 TJ's), adding armor, and building over the next few years.

Quick questions about bumpers- I've been looking at front bumpers, and I'm down to the Motobilt and ROAM. How is the coverage of the Sway bar on the Roam? Any chances of it getting whacked by rocks?

Also: I seem to remember you saying you were switching winches to the Warn Zeon 10S so it would fit better- are there fitment issues with other winches with that bumper?

Considering the ROAM Swing out tire carrier like you have for the rear but concerned that the latch hangs a bit low. Is it well protected? in the shots you posted it looks like it just hangs our there a little too much. Any reason you went with this tire carrier over the tube style (like the one in the pics of your 2012 JK)?

Finally- Long shot, but Do you know if ROAM are planning on offering any options to accommodate the OEM LED Fogs? I really want to keep my OEM fogs because I plan on using them as driving lights, not trail/ rock lights since I don't really wheel at night.

Thanks, and keep the good info coming. We all really appreciate it.
Link? Looked at their site but I can't seem to find any info on it.
Thanks!

All the ROAM bumpers that I've seen/installed completely cover the Electronic Swaybar motor with a skidplate or in the case of the Stinger I just installed one solid bumper that covers it(No bolt on skid plate like included with the others.)

The Zeon 10-s will not fit in the versions with the "hidden" winch. You need to have a winch with a removable solenoid so that you can relocate it due to the angle the winch sits in the bumper(For a better approach angle.) The Stinger I installed will accommodate a Warn Zeon due to it sitting flat in the bumper at the cost of a slightly worse approach angle.

The new version of the bumper/carrier does not include/need a latch, but rather swings open with the tailgate. It also doesn't require any major re-routing of the camera/brake light. The version on my white JL with the latch(not sure if they are selling it that way) does not sit out and further than recovery mounts or any lower than the tow hitches. If you are going to hit the latch on an obstacle, you will most likely hang on your rear tire as well.
I love the Genright/Tube style carriers, but they are just too expensive for what they are IMO. Also, if I know I'm going on trails with large drop offs I like to remove the spare completely as hanging on it is always a huge fear of mine With the tube style carriers mounting to the body I can see them doing some major damage if you were to hang the tire coming off a ledge.

My wife's rear bumper saved the rear 1/4 panel on her JL this weekend. Coming off a ledge she smacked into a rock right where it wraps around the body of the Jeep. The bumper didn't budge, just took some powdercoat off/scuffed it up. I love how low profile they are, if it stuck out any further she would have dragged that corner for a couple inches before dropping off. I'm sure the factory plastic bumper would have pushed up and done more damage to the body than the actual bumper.

I've seen a few photos of the ROAM bumper with add on side plates that look to accommodate the factory fogs, but I have yet to see them in the wild.

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Had fun with my wife @TankGirl and the family at Hidden Falls in Marble Falls, TX.
I wish we had taken more pictures, but when we were in the full group I didn't want to stop and hold anyone up.
sm14.jpg

sm16.jpg

sm15.jpg

sm13.jpg
sm19.jpg
sm18.jpg
sm17.jpg
sm11.jpg
sm9.jpg
sm10.jpg
sm8.jpg
sm5.jpg
sm2.jpg
sm1.jpg
sm3.jpg

sm6.jpg

Maxdady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray Rubicon
Thanks!

All the ROAM bumpers that I've seen/installed completely cover the Electronic Swaybar motor with a skidplate or in the case of the Stinger I just installed one solid bumper that covers it(No bolt on skid plate like included with the others.)

The Zeon 10-s will not fit in the versions with the "hidden" winch. You need to have a winch with a removable solenoid so that you can relocate it due to the angle the winch sits in the bumper(For a better approach angle.) The Stinger I installed will accommodate a Warn Zeon due to it sitting flat in the bumper at the cost of a slightly worse approach angle.

The new version of the bumper/carrier does not include/need a latch, but rather swings open with the tailgate. It also doesn't require any major re-routing of the camera/brake light. The version on my white JL with the latch(not sure if they are selling it that way) does not sit out and further than recovery mounts or any lower than the tow hitches. If you are going to hit the latch on an obstacle, you will most likely hang on your rear tire as well.
I love the Genright/Tube style carriers, but they are just too expensive for what they are IMO. Also, if I know I'm going on trails with large drop offs I like to remove the spare completely as hanging on it is always a huge fear of mine With the tube style carriers mounting to the body I can see them doing some major damage if you were to hang the tire coming off a ledge.

My wife's rear bumper saved the rear 1/4 panel on her JL this weekend. Coming off a ledge she smacked into a rock right where it wraps around the body of the Jeep. The bumper didn't budge, just took some powdercoat off/scuffed it up. I love how low profile they are, if it stuck out any further she would have dragged that corner for a couple inches before dropping off. I'm sure the factory plastic bumper would have pushed up and done more damage to the body than the actual bumper.

I've seen a few photos of the ROAM bumper with add on side plates that look to accommodate the factory fogs, but I have yet to see them in the wild.
Uh OH...
In my emails with Anthony at ROAM I asked this specific question about a ZEON 10s. I ordered the new version of the rock rails, the mid height Slimline front bumper and am on the list for the Slimline rear. Thanks for this TTEChris! I actually started checking out ROAM products due to your awesome first hand experience and wright ups!

I'll email Anthony again to verify but may have to go a different direction, already having purchased a ZEON 10s and all, hehe.
Thanks,
-H
Sponsored